“Great room, great space”

Residence Inn Detroit Warren
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Warren
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This wasn't a traditional hotel room. It seemed more like an apartment building and I got the impression from discussion between staff and guests that some folks were using the Inn as a temporary home. I wasn't sure what this would mean for the quality, but I have to say, this was the nicest room I've been in for quite awhile. I reserved it thinking one of my sons might meet me there; he didn't, but my son and three of his band mates stopped by after the gig I'd seen them at earlier that evening. We ordered pizza and visited--four big 20+ year old guys and me all fit comfortably in the living room area. They used some time to wash up and appreciate the homey feel to suite. I think they were hoping they could catch a few zzzz's on the large (and very comfortable) bed in the separate room before they were off to another city for their next show.

A word of caution: some rooms are inside the building and accessible (supposedly) only with a key card. My room was on the third floor and outside the glass doors of the main building at the end of a corridor where a few other rooms were (the building is arranged around a courtyard and pool--the sidewalks were under construction when I was there). (I had asked for a quiet room, so I'm not sure if the rooms inside the main building could get noisy.) While you needed a key card to get back into the building on that floor to use the elevator, the stairway outside my room led straight down to the parking lot. It made me a bit uneasy, but no one disturbed me. I might have felt less comfortable if I were coming in late and having to walk the outside, very empty, quite remote feeling, corridor on my own.

One of my son's friends called the front desk to get the name of a local pizza place (there wasn't much information about the hotel or the area in the room itself). He waited a long time for a response, even though the "0" to dial said "front desk"/"emergency." Another time when I came in, no one was at the front desk.

Breakfast was tasty and hot, though the galley area for the food could get crowded. Most of the staff seemed very friendly. Overall, a good deal and a good price and a really lovely room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
HotelGM_RA, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Warren, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your comments about the Residence Inn Detroit Warren. Our apartment style suites offer separate living room and bedroom plus a full kitchen that is stocked with all necessary china, glass and silver.

I do apologize for the service you experienced at our front desk as it is our goal to ensure we are always available to take care of the immediate needs of our guests.

I hope that we can welcome you back when our outside renovations are complete including new sidewalks and landscaping, new pool and patio area and renovated exterior buidings with updated color palate.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The place is right across the street from the GM Tech Center in Warren, so if you have business there, the location can't be beat. We got a 2 bedroom for $139 and it was larger than my first two apartments. Clean, quiet, comfy.

Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2014

When looking at this property from the outside, it is very worn down. Walking to and from your room to lobby, you see that sidewalks need repair, concrete is uneven, and the pool area (still closed until it warms up) is in dire need of some renovation. It actually looks and feels a little seedy when you're walking around the property. It is just bad from the outside. The room itself was very nice, and was clean, up-to-date, and completely the opposite of the exterior. The people were friendly enough, but this is not the kind of property I would expect under the Marriott brand. Breakfast was adequate, and very average. If in the area, there are better alternatives from what I had seen.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HotelGM_RA, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Warren, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are very excited to announce that within a few weeks we continue with our renovations and restyling of the Residence Inn Detroit Warren. Last year we were able to present newly renovated guest suites, main gatehouse experience and updated workout facilities. This spring we take it outside with refreshed landscaping, new facade with updated color palatte, renovated pool and 'Outdoor Experience' - and yes, the concrete will be replaced thorughout the complex.

I look forward to welcoming you back when we are completed in the summer of 2014!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I really love how their room was setup. They have this sliding door so you can have option to separate your bedroom space and living room space. I also like their breakfast buffet. They have an accommodating and friendly staffs. I always wanted to try their swimming pool but it was under maintenance during my stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
HotelGM_RA, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Warren, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments about the suites at Residence Inn Detroit Warren. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the staff service and comforts of home while staying with us. It won't be long until the warm weather allows us to open our pool on Memorial weekend. We look forward to inviting you back!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Upon our arrival we stepped out into a parking lot with massive amounts of dog poo every where. We then wandered around the poorly laid out complex, with almost no signage to aid in finding our room, and squeezed with out luggage through a narrow passage to our door. We spent most of our evening listening to the couple in the room next to us argue. They were not shouting but the paper thin walls did nothing to promote privacy. The room was clean and comfortable inside. The surrounding neighborhood seemed safe enough. Sadly our fellow guests did not leave us feeling that way. I can honestly say we will not be stay at this Residence Inn location again. We have stayed at more than a dozen other Residence Inn locations totaling more than 700 nights and this is by far the worst. Many things we well within the standards we have come to expect from Residence Inn, but those that were not, were so far below it was shocking.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HotelGM_RA, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Warren, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Our apologies that you had less than an excellent experience. This winter has certainly created some unique challenges. Rest assured our staff has put together new procedures to improve the experience. The Residence Inn Detroit Warren prides itself on its exceptional services. We certainly hope that you will give us another try if your travels bring you back to the Detroit area.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have been staying at the Residence inn for a few weeks now on business and overall its a nice place. my room has a full kitchen with stove, fridge and all dishes and utensils as all Residence inns do but mine also has a nice wood burning fireplace which when it was minus 20 would have been nice had I bought any wood.
the property well kept and the snow was plowed quickly during my stay so no complaints there. I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HotelGM_RA, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Warren, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your comments about your stay at the Residence Inn Detroit Warren. The fireplaces are certainly a nice feature during this cold winter weather. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you vist the Detroit area.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Nice Residence Inn. Has been completely renovated. They are constantly working on something, painting, trimming, fixing. Their attention to detail is good for this type of property. The staff is very helpful and kind. The rooms are fairly clean.

I was a little disappointed our room only had a cooktop and no oven. Every other Residence Inn we have stayed at had an oven. But we managed without.

The maintenance staff and cleaning staff were super helpful and kind! We were visiting from China and therefore had jet lag. So most of the times we called them for something my son was sleeping. They were great about being quiet and respectful, and getting the job done. (our smoke detector was beeping and they solved the problem fast and quietly without waking my son).

Breakfast was good and fresh every day (we stayed a week). The Breakfast ladies were quite sweet and helpful! I enjoyed their smiling faces.

The front desk staff was very helpful as well, even mailed some letters for me and gave me directions.

My only complaint was the location wasn't great. Unless you are going to the Tech Center or other work related place close by it will take 30-45 minutes to get anywhere you need to be. We stayed in October 2013 and there was construction in every possible direction except going north!

Room Tip: Having a room on the 2nd floor is good because you won't hear people walking around, especially...