“Worst camping experience in 25 years...”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watervliet
Paw Paw River Campground & Canoes
Chicago, Illinois
“Worst camping experience in 25 years...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I was excited to find a campsite for the 4th of July holiday weekend--and at $20/night, how can you go wrong? Here's how:

When I arrived, I was told that it had been raining for most of the week, so I should check the campsite for standing water. Being that I arrived late in the evening, I figured this would be easy to review with a flashlight. However, what I wasn't told was that the roads were flooded and mostly impassable. After getting stuck in the mud, we decided to setup the tent which was easy because of help from our neighbors lights.

Three or four other sites had flood lights or some other bright searchlight that nearly lit up the entire campground. It made for easy setup, but obnoxious sleeping conditions--though that was the least of the disruptions.

From 11pm to 3am there was loud (like outdoor festival loud) Mexican pop music played from one of the campsites. There were even loud "ay-ay-ay-ya!" shouts and yelps the entire time! Come to think of it, perhaps the listeners were deaf because though the music would skip, they never changed the CD.

Being Independence Day, I expected a few firecrackers, but these were more like cherry bombs "booms!" than black cat "crak, crak, crak, crak!" These also lasted into the morning hours.

At 5am somebody's dog began to bark and this never subsided.

Finally, at 6:45 I decided to begin working on getting the car unstuck, but collecting sticks and bark. I also started up the campfire, but I needed firewood. I went to the Office at 7:45 to buy wood, only to find that the door was locked. A sign on the door read, "If door is locked, go to restaurant for service." I went around the corner to the "restaurant" only to find another sign that read, "Restaurant closed. We retired."

I went back to the site, struck the tent, and packed the car. At 8:45am the office was still not open for me to get a refund.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rand02014

Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
South haven
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My family rented 3 canoes and within 6 minutes of canoeing, 2 of our 3 canoes cap sized. 2 of which were sunk. We almost drowned: we lost all our belongings as our canoe sunk. Absolutely most terrifying experience of my life.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Xoxoxoxoxo234

Travellers are raving about these Watervliet hotels

Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My friends and I were looking forward to a relaxing day tubing down the Paw Paw river. The last word I would call it...is relaxing. We had 6 tubes tied together. There were so many logs and trees in our way, that my 30yo son had to be out of the tube walking us down the river almost the entire way! The river is very deep so much of the time he had nothing to grasp or walk on. Then he would bang his legs/thighs into the logs deep in the water. Every single bend we went around, we wondered what was next and what we would have to deal with. It was not fun at all. All we knew is that we would never go here again! We've been up to Grant, MI at Salmon Run and love it. We just didn't want to drive that far. Well, we conclude it is well worth the extra drive. I DO recommend Salmon Run though!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank spbrown10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watervliet
Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph
Boulevard Inn
#3 of 6 in Saint Joseph
BEST WESTERN Benton Harbor-St. Joseph
Holiday Inn Express St. Joseph

Been to Paw Paw River Campground & Canoes? Share your experiences!