“Some good, some work needed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph

Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Watervliet
Chicago, Illinois
“Some good, some work needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed a few nights when a friend was hospitalized nearby. The weather was cold and renovations were almost complete. The desk clerk promised Marriott points and I went back at least once since then to get the points for the two nights but have not got them yet. The breakfast was standard Fairfield - self serve biscuits, coffee, machine juice and cold cereal. I'd go back (not on weekends when water park open) but I'd certainly like my marriott points. Rehab looked good, large hotel well positioned off the beaten path.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the north side (expressway is on south side) and avoid end of corridor rooms on wi...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank leonor c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I recently stayed at this location the night before meetings in Kalamazoo, as it was at least $30 less a night than any comparable hotels in the immediate Kalamazoo area. Very pleased that I did.
Arriving around 8pm, I was greeted by a very responsive and effective young lady at the front desk. She had me checked in and on my way in about 2 minutes which was great.
My room, a King with a small sitting area with a sofa and a second TV, was awesome. Everything was brand new, and it was much larger than I had expected it to be. Very nice to relax on a couch after a day on the road. Everything was spotless as well.
The hotel itself is completely remodeled and in great condition. Very convenient to the Interstate, and not more than about 30 minutes from Kalamazoo and less than that to St. Joe.
Breakfast was above average. Yes, the eggs were a little dry, but they had BACON, so all is forgiven.
My only real disappointment was that the bar/restaurant is closed on weekdays like the waterpark. Didn't need the slides, but a drink would have been nice after that drive, too. Oh well.

Room Tip: If Interstate noise bothers you (guess I'm a freak, it puts me right to sleep), ask for a room f...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SBNWL, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience of our hotel with the Travel Advisor Community. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites - Surfari Joe's Indoor Waterpark. We are sorry that the bar was not available when you were here but the next time you stay, please ask the front desk manager and they should be able to provide you with an adult beverage from the bar in the lounge area. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to see you again.

269-463-7946
Huntington Beach, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had great rooms, breakfast, friendly staff. Many amenities are available for business, family or individual stay. We stayed in a 3 bed suite, never seen that before. There was a big wedding party but we never heard a sound.

Room Tip: Ask for room opposite pool side to be away from the freeway noise.
2 Thank Fotocrazyoma
SBNWL, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review of our hotel with the TraveAdivsor Community. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites - Surfari Joe's Indoor Waterpark. We look forward to your next visit.

Lake Villa, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

This property used to be a Ramada "Surfari Joe's" water park family hotel. I never stayed there under previous management, but currently the property is undergoing renovations to bring it more in line with Marriott standards. At this time, these standards are not met, but I'm sure with the problems we had during our three night stay, things will be attended to.

Breakfast food was in constant short supply with slow replenishment, was of very poor quality (I'm not that picky about scrambled eggs, but for three days they were like dried rubber....totally indelible). Coffee was constantly low or out, as we're plates, forks, cups, etc. You get the idea.

Wifi was so weak, that we could not use it in the guest room, and it barely worked in the lobby.

An added deposit service charge was added to our bill without our knowledge or permission that took several days to remove.

Noise on Friday evening clearly reflected a lack of control by management of guests talking in the hallways, outside in the parking lot, and slamming doors....we are talking 3AM here.

Simply put.... Give this place some time before diving in. Speaking of which, the water slides and water park are closed during the week, open weekends. It is a WONDERFUL indoor water park, so when this place hits its stride, it is going to be great.

Room Tip: If you are a Marriott Gold or Platinum, be sure to ask for an upgrade to a suite. I'm gold but n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peter B
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community. It is always our goal to provide the best service to our guests. I am sorry to hear you experienced these issues. I have brought these issue to my team so we can avoid this happening to other guests in the future. I would very much like an opportunity to discuss this with you in more detail. Please contact me at the hotel at your earliest convenience.

8258 Arnt Blvd
Watervliet, MI 49098
P-269-463-7946
brad.schmitz@marriott.com

Travellers are raving about these Watervliet hotels

Watervliet, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here on Friday August 9th. We stayed specifically for the waterpark (not sure why others are not aware the waterpark is only open on the weekends, it clearly states that on their website). The waterpark opens at 3:00 pm on Fridays but we were able to get in at 2:00 and splash around in the lazy river and kids area before the slides opened at about 3:15. The waterpark is small, there are no lounge chairs or anything like at Great Wolf Lodge, that said, my boys (ages 6 & 9) still loved it. There are still 2 big water slides that never had but 1 or 2 ppl in line in front of them.
The hotel itself is completely redone, so it is very nice and clean. There is a fairly large breakfast area and a bar that is open pretty late, so that was a plus.
The eggs were really overdone on the breakfast buffet...so overdone that it was pea-sized pieces of egg that you scooped up and they have to add extra water to their waffle batter b/c it is really really runny and you can practically see through you waffle.
Overall very nice hotel and stay.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review of our hotel with the TraveAdivsor Community. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites - Surfari Joe's Indoor Waterpark. I will talk with the staff regarding the issue with breakfast. We look forward to your next visit.

Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

I had booked this hotel using miles on a last-minute end-of-summer trip. This hotel caught my attention as it allowed our family of 5 to be in a room without any issues, offered free breakfast and has a "water park" attached. Overall, the hotel is nice. It is newly decorated since becoming a Marriott a few months earlier. The rooms are comfortable and everything worked as expected. The tub was one of the few signs of a past - it was scratched up and stained. The first problem was at check-in. We had requested a cot when making the reservation online. The lone clerk checked but could not find the key to the supply closet to check for availability. We've gotten into the habit of traveling with an air mattress, so that was not a huge issue.

As noted, the hotel has a "water park". This consists of 2 large slides, lazy river, hot tub, play structure (with the required dumping bucket) and a small pool. My kids were really excited about this. However, they only run the slides on weekends due to the cost of operating the slides (need 4 lifeguards on duty) -- we were there during the week. We did enjoy the lazy river and other features that were operating. While we were there, there were a few times when the pool was closed for private parties. We were out enjoying the beaches, so no biggie. However, it would be nice if the slides could be operated during weekday evenings. They do open up the pool area to non-guests (for a fee) during the weekend, so it may become a bit crowded. The first night we used the pool, there was only one or two other families, so it was pretty quiet and we didn't feel crowded. The second night, there was a large group of teens/20 somethings who make the area feel very crowded.

We had mixed results for breakfast. The first morning, there were slim pickings, even when we were there well before the 9am close. The second day was much better. At both breakfasts, the eggs were overcooked (dry and chewy - well beyond being a little slimy). Also, on both days, I had to ask for a rag to wipe off a table. Having stayed at comparable hotels, breakfast is difficult as there is usually only one (sometimes two) people stocking breakfast and cleaning up.

The biggest issue - our room was not cleaned after our first night. The manager noted that our room was flagged as having a DND sign on the door. He also noted that they leave a note on the door if they recheck and the room still has a DND sign. My daughter took the sign off the door as we left for the day (I held the door open while she did that - not something I would forget). Again, we had 5 people in our room - it needed cleaning!! After a day at the beach, coming back to a room with no clean towels, no toilet paper, no tissues, full garbage cans, no made-up beds, dirty bathroom, etc, we were not happy. When my wife complained to the clerk on duty (same as the first night), he did what he could to mitigate the issue (delivered fresh towels, paper items, etc), but that did not make up for not having the room cleaned. I travel a lot for business and at times have had my room missed a few times (last time was at another Fairfield). Normally it doesn't bother me, but when the room is at capacity, a clean room (and especially a clean bathroom) is important.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dascooper

8258 Arnt Blvd
Watervliet, MI 49098
P-269-463-7946
brad.schmitz@marriott.com
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night only for a wedding in a nearby town. The rooms were inexpensive, large, clean and well appointed. There was a mini store in the hotel that came in handy. There was a bar in the hotel that stayed open late for us.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank amdltmd

Brad Schmitz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watervliet
The Inn at Harbor Shores
Springhill Suites Benton Harbor St. Joseph
Boulevard Inn
Boulevard Inn
#3 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Watervliet St. Joseph? Share your experiences!