“Extremely disappointing for the money”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Beautiful grounds however in desperate need of renovation. I have no idea how the spa can be a finalist in the best spa competition, with paint coming off the walls in the pool area, mould around the pool and general poor up keep. We have been to many spa breaks and this was extremely poor and an expensive mistake for our holiday!

The rooms need updating and the toilet and shower were not functioning considering it was an executive suite.

The room was that hot we had to ask for a fan as no air conditioning.

We spent a lot of money on this 2 night break away and even changed hotels based on the fab reviews of this hotel, however we were extremely upset at the end of the break and extremely disappointed. Please think twice before booking its not worth the money by no means.

Room Tip: Chose a room in a different hotel!
6  Thank JaneGNewcastle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 3 October 2012

For my husband's significant birthday, friends bought him and I, an overnight stay at the Danesfield, in the best room in the house, with champagne and a meal in Adam Simmonds restaurant! How lovely of them so we were really excited and really looking forward to the 24 hours of luxury.
On arrival, we were delighted at how beautiful the setting was, how lovely the interior of the hotel was and were checked in very promptly at 3pm. We were staying in 209, the Medleycott Suite.
The reason for my poor review is the catalogue of things wrong with the whole stay:
The room hadn't been properly cleaned - biscuit crumbs all over the table and chair that held the kettle. Housekeeping came and cleared it all but then we found rose petals still over the bathroom floor (didn't want to ask them to come up again!)
Asked for a bucket of ice for the champagne - waited over an hour and had to remind them twice.
The Spa had no loungers or even chairs to sit on, the steam room was out of action and the hot tub was only on for 5 minutes and then off for 7!
At around 6pm a loud hum started in our room. When we went to dinner, I asked at reception about it and was told it was the heating, which would go off at 9:30pm. At midnight, this noise was still going on and it was actually vibrating through the bed! My husband had to go down to reception and whatever it was, was turned off but guess what? it started again at 7:20 am the next morning! I rang reception immediately, who obviously knew of the problem, as the heating??was turned straight off!
My other gripe was when we were given the menu to choose from, bearing in mind on the 3 course menu there were 5 main dishes to choose from, having waited for the waitress to come back to take our order which was quite a while, the dish I chose, was not available! Think she should have said in the first instance. Having said that, the meal was absolutely fantastic and this is why I have given an average rating and not poor.
This is a long list of complaints and had there just been one thing wrong, I would have just shrugged my shoulders. However, this one night stay cost my friends over £500 and I think for that it should have been perfect.
On check out, I spoke to the reception staff about the room noise and she said she was sorry and she would pass on our comments (with a great big grin!) I wonder if anything will be done!!
By the way they couldn't even get our drinks bill right - tried to charge us for an extra bottle of wine!!

Room Tip: if you want a good nights sleep don't pay to be in the Medleycott Suite (room 209)
1  Thank sazo
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Im unhappy that this hotel doesnt have 5/5 star rating!
Im unhappy that I only got to stay 0ne night!
Im unhappy that this hotel is rated number 2 and not 1!

Sorry if you opened this review to check out negative feedback but I don't have any.
Seeing the magnificent hotel at the top of the drive I whispered "wow".
We were greeted by the most friendly reception staff and our bags were carried to our upgraded room.
The room was stunning. A four poster bed - THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED I HAVE EVER SLEPT IN!!!
We had a lovely varanda overlooking the chiltons.
The bathroom was gorgeous with a really good shower.
In the spar, the temperature was perfect, and very relaxing. There were so many towels available to guests, lovely touch ( no need to sit in a wet towel!)
Every member of staff offered a smile and were extremely highly trained in their trade. We were asked several times by differing members of staff if we had been to the Danesfied House Hotel before, giving the impression that once you have been once- you are likely to return!
This is THE BEST HOTEL i've ever stayed in ( and I can be very fussy!)
This is the venue hoteliers should visit to see how hotels should be run!!!

I cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Room 102 has a ground floor veranda over looking the gardens and the most comfortable bed!
1  Thank summer_day68
Reviewed 28 September 2012

It was a special treat from my partner and we had such a lovely time, I felt so spoilt from the moment we arrived, we had our luggage carried for us and escorted all the way to our bedroom. We had a gorgeous 4 poster bedroom that had views over the Thames and the terrace.
We started off with enjoying afternoon tea in the lounge/conservatory area and was so full after all of the tasty cakes. I dont think i've ever eaten such scrummy scones! We were too full to eat in the restaurant that evening but did have some lovely sandwiches and a few drinks in the bar in the evening. The staff were very attentful and polite the whole time we were there.
We had breakfast brought to the room in the morning the waitress laid it out for us and it was the best breakfast in bed ever, overall a very lovely time and worth every penny, I hope we will be back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view over the terrace and thames
1  Thank stephthesweet
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Stayed here on business on 2 separate occasions recently and was upgraded to a suite on both occasions. Overall, I was extremely satisfied but the hotel is not perfect.

Service is fantastic - staff are very friendly and helpful.

Rooms are spacious but a little antiquated and in need of some TLC or restoration. Some of the curtains are badly stained. The showers are also in need of modernisation as they were difficult to work and unable to be adjusted. Beds were extremely comfortable.

Grounds were exceptional - would be a great location for a wedding I feel.

Spa was good but the steam room was out of action on both occasions and the jacuzzi broken on one of them. This was at least a few days apart so not really acceptable if someone is staying there as a spa hotel.

Food in the bar was slightly disappointing for the one evening meal I had, which was soup. Certainly tasty but not commensurate with the quality/rating of the restuarant/hotel. Breakfast was excellent.

If I could give it 4.5/5 I would. But it is not 5/5.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jayson R
DanesfieldHouse, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Jayson R

Thank you for your review of Danesfield House Hotel, I find it a real shame also that you are unable to award us the four and a half out of five that you feel we deserve. We are already underway with an unobtrusive refurbishment plan that will see the areas of concern, addressed.

Thank you for all your kind comments.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Upgraded to a stunningly romantic suite complete with four poster bed , jacuzzi bath and superb views over formal gardens and the Thames beyond. First class food and service! Magnificent swimming pool. We only stayed for one night but returned home feeling more refreshed and relaxed than after many longer holidays. Thoroughly enjoyed the buffet-style breakfast as well!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ros M
DanesfieldHouse, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear Ros M

It sounds like your visit to Danesfield was relaxing and most enjoyable, for which I am most pleased.

I look forward to your next visit to the hotel, which I am sure one of our 2 night packages would allow you to experience yet more that we have to offer here at Danesfied House.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We enjoyed our two night stay. The rooms were a little small but that is because of our budget, larger garden view rooms are available. The service in the restaurant and on the terrace was painfully slow at lunch time but otherwise we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. I would certainly go back so that my elderly father could enjoy the views of the Thames from the garden again.

Room Tip: Garden view is best
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew H

Dear Andrew H

Your wonderful review is most pleasing to read and I am glad that you are eager to visit the house again. I was slightly disappointed however to hear of the slow service in which you endured on the Terrace during your visit, your review has been seen by our Food and Beverage Manager, who will address this lack of urgency immediately.

Thank you once again for your kind and well balanced review.

Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#5 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!