Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
US$270
Priceline
Phyllis Court Club(Henley-on-Thames)
US$157
The Red Lion Hotel(Henley-on-Thames)
US$114
Hotel du Vin(Henley-on-Thames)
US$169
US$152
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
The Catherine Wheel(Henley-on-Thames)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$158
US$152
Travelocity
1,402 results
All reviewsbeautiful groundsafternoon teajunior suitebeautiful hotelfour poster bedthe rivercocktail barsconesluxury hotelbeautiful roomrelaxing weekendwedding anniversaryspecial occasioncooked breakfaststaff were attentivelovely settingsteam room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We chose Danesfield House for a celebratory stay and dinner the night before my daughter's graduation ceremony. The building is impressive, as were our rooms but dinner was a big disappointment. We chose to eat in the more relaxed restaurant (which turned out to be little more than a glassed in corridor) as we had an early start next day and in any case the food came from the same 1* kitchen as the formal set up. Though the food looked pretty it was very bland and the portions as tiny as the prices were large. We had to order lots of cheese to stop ourselves feeling hungry. Stay here by all means but celebrate elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was bought a spa break here for my 30th and wow, perfect. Having read reviews on here I was worried that it we'd have the same issues but having stayed I honestly don't understand those who've complained.

As we drove up the house had the wow factor, I actually thought I'd been booked into a castle. There was a red carpet welcome (literally) for us as we arrived. I pretended it was for me ignoring the real reason which was most likely the wedding scheduled there that day. The receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful, even taking my suitcase as she showed us to our room and I do not travel light, even for a weekend stay!

The room was beautiful, I couldn't stop smiling and there was even a cake and a Happy Birthday card, what a great start! The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. Great facilities however the water pressure was a little too intense for a relaxing shower.

The grounds to the hotel are stunning, something from a fairy tale. Definitely make sure you take the time to explore whilst you are there both inside and out.

Included in our package was dinner at the Orangery and although described as informal it was definitely fine dining. Great quality, lots to choose from and the waiter was both knowledgeable and attentive.

The spa was absolutely beautiful. I was a little annoyed that we were unable to book our treatments during our stay, instead having to have it once we'd checked out however in the end this did not distract from our stay, actually it both enhanced and elongated it as the spa had everything we needed. Staff checked the pool and changing rooms regularly, art work by the pool could do with a bit of a touch up but honestly it's just an extremely relaxing place to end a great birthday weekend. The massage was good however I have had better. I should have asked for a slightly firmer massage but it was extremely relaxing anyway, I almost fell asleep a couple of times.

Having read the reviews maybe I was more prepared for some of the things that could be a problem. We too experienced a bit of an unorganised breakfast however that just gave us an excuse to spend longer there, taking in the beautiful view of the grounds as we sat in the Michelin starred restaurant as the Orangery where breakfast is normally served was full.

I'd highly recommend this hotel for both, accommodation, dinner and spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room If you are there to celebrate a special occasion make sure you let them know Remember that this is an old house so there will be creaks and imperfections but that that just adds to the buildings character
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Just checked out today following a research meeting. Beautiful building, surroundings fantastic, however overpriced- £25 for 2 single malts. Whilst waiting for room to be prepared 45 mins after arrival, i was offer coffee, i mistakenly thought this was complementary given that i had to wait so long, however on checkout i was charged £10.97 for the coffee!!!! I was checking out at the same time as others so said nothing as i felt to embarrassed to make an issue of this; i have never paid so much for much for a macchiato!!!!! The food was mixed in quality some lovely others awful, overcooked eggs florentine for a colleague who sent them back only to then be offered a split hollendaise!! Iagter being charged for coffee i was anxious regarding what breakfast would cost, fortunately this was covered- overcooked poached egg with an almost uncooked sausage (slightly pinked in the middle). For a hotel of that caliber i'd expect so much more. I intended to email them with a complaint, however you can't email them.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We felt let down. It was a lovely room with fantastic views but there was a constant sound of footsteps and loud noises from above from very early in the morning. The side panel on the bath needed replacing, the bathroom door was water damaged and needed replacing. There was a broken marble shelf in the bathroom. We went down to the restaurant for dinner. The main course was served tepid, so sent it back. My other half had finished his meal by the time mine had arrived. Then they brought the meal without the vegetables. This is supposed to be a michelin restaurant! Very disappointed. We went for breakfast and the service was very poor, we had to ask for everything ie milk for tea/coffee, butter for the toast. It wasn't a cheap experience! I think their staff need proper training.

Room Tip: Probably choose a top floor so that it is quieter?
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louise A
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We arrived for my sister's wedding where my daughters were supposed to be bridesmaids. However, our room wasn't ready event hough it was lunch time and we have to all pile into one room to get ready. We had to call room service twice to bring a few coffee cups. In general, the staff do their best but the whole place is a bit Miss Haversham. Feels like the place is under new management as it could do with a face lift. (Lights not working in the room, struggle to find a normal power socket, big stains in the carpet etc.)

Room Tip: The place is like a maze so it is useful to find to show you where your room is. Our family room was down a corridor where the laundry cupboard was so not an obvious place to look.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family