“Relaxing spa and fine dining break”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at Danesfield house to celebrate my wife's birthday and had on the whole a superb time. My wife thought the spa treatments were amazing in particular the "Danesfield Trilogy". We had a light lunch at the Spa juice bar which was very tasty and the service was excellent. The pool facilities were very good although a few of the frescos had peeling paintwork. The public rooms in the hotel are all beautiful and manage a nice balance between being grand but also relaxed. Some of the corridors etc however are showing signs of being in need of renovation.
The room itself was extremely nice with views over the gardens and the river thames, the bathroom although perhaps a little small was very well appointed and the shower was excellent. The bed was perhaps a little soft but that it is personal preference. The only real disappointment with the room was the pillows which were ridiculously thin (a surprise for a luxury hotel in the UK although something I have come to expect from hotels in Germany) that said the hotel was very quick to provide additional pillows when we phoned to ask for some.
Dinner in the Oak Room was superb the main courses dishes (I had the turbot and my wife the Sea Bass) stood out in particular. Service was efficient and discreet as you would expect, and the sommelier was both knowledgeable and very helpful (which isn't always the case). Breakfast was good although perhaps understaffed a little as the toast and coffee took too long to arrive given that we were on our second trip to the buffet before they showed up.
Overall a very enjoyable stay and I would gladly recommend Danesfield House to friends especially if like us there were able to take advantage of a special offer.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have the best views over the river.
1  Thank Andrew M
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for your kind review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Danesfield House.

I was delighted to read that your wife enjoyed her birthday treat and that the experience was all that you had hoped for. I note your comments about the areas of improvement needed, and you may have noticed during your stay that we are currently carrying out an extensive refurbishment programme for bedroom and public areas with the first phase due to be completed later this year.

Nevertheless, the team and I were especially pleased to read your complimentary comments about service both in the spa and Oak Room restaurant, and I am glad our housekeeping team were able to accommodate your requirements for additional pillows in your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Danesfield House very soon.

Food and Beverage Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

we stayed for two nights ,the Hotel is lovely old building in good condition ,we had a standard room which was nice but the bathroom is a trifle small or should i say compact.It was my wife's birthday and the staff had put a nice birthday cake in the room ,which i thought was a nice gesture.
All of the staff we met were very attentive and friendly .Breakfast was very good although the fruit selection was a little on the spartan side. We ate one night in the orangery which was very good,the only downside they had almost run out of cheese and could only find three types instead of the six on the menu,

I would recommend that smoking is not allowed by the front door having to walk passed a number of people smoking does not improve the image but then that's just a personal view.
All in all a nice place to stay and that was on a wet and windy January weekend. I did not use the spa due to an injury but it looked very nice with the nice touch of free fruit in reception .

Room Tip: I think you get what you pay for and the standard room in our case was fine
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear hantshawk,

Thank you for your review of Danesfield House, and for your kind comments. We were so pleased to read that your wife enjoyed her birthday with us.

I take on board your comments about the Orangery and breakfast, and have shared the points you raise with both the hotel Head Chef and the restaurant team for action. I understand you were not able to use our award-winning spa during your stay with us, but I most certainly recommend it for next time you are here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa for a couple of nights in January as a London getaway. It is a beautiful building with a fascinating history, set in well kept gardens. The bedrooms are a good size and there is a wonderful lounge with roaring log fire - the perfect spot for afternoon tea.

We dined in the Orangery which, perhaps as it was a Sunday night, was quiet but due to its layout didn't feel empty with just a few tables occupied. The food was tasty, portions perhaps slightly on the smaller side, but we left feeling full - not stuffed! There's a great library with a full size snooker table, where we relaxed with a couple of drinks in the evening.

The spa is outstanding - one of the best indoor pools I've seen in a UK hotel. We both had a massage which was towards the more pricey end (£89), but the therapists were professional and thorough, asking whether I wanted focus on any particular areas.

The town of Marlow is a short drive away and well worth a visit for its boutique style shops and cosy pubs.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went to the Oak Room for a meal last Saturday lunch time. The experience could not have been better, it was a wonderful meal. The service was simply perfect, and the food too. Two menus were available, the lunch menu (£29 for 3 courses) and the a la carte menu (£55 for 3 courses). I chose dishes from the a la carte, whereas my husband chose the lunch menu. I had the foie gras poêlé as a starter and the fillet steak as main course. My husband had gnocchi with minced venison and poussin with creamed parsnips. Everything was absolutely superb. We cannot wait to go back and try the other dishes on the menu.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lappini
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Lappini,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Oak Room restaurant on Trip Advisor, it was a pleasure to read and your comments have been shared with both the kitchen and the front of house teams.

We are delighted to welcome Billy Reid as Executive Chef here at Danesfield House, and hope to entertain you again in the very near future.

Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were going to London for my husbands birthday and I wanted to surprise him with a stay in a good hotel en route. I chose Danesfield House after researching a lot of hotels mainly because of its wow factor. I must admit I was very pleased with my choice. From check in to check out everything was perfect. The room was beautiful Fab Four poster and we were even allowed to bring our small dog who had his own bed and bowls .cocktails were delicious the three coarse menu in the orangery was inventive and beautifully served the fillet steak was one of the best I've ever had.Service was also excellent.We finished off with a drink sitting in front of a crackling log fire..what could be better. Thank you Danesfield for a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room 101is a junior suite which has a door out to the garden so you can take your dog
1  Thank Linda C
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Linda C

Thank you for sharing your experiences of our hotel with other hotel enthusiasts.

Welcoming dogs to Danesfield is new to us and as a team of dog lovers we truly understood the restrictions that arise in being able to enjoy a luxury hotels with our furry friends.

Therefore it seemed only natural that we have special rooms allocated so all the family may come!
I do hope we get to welcome you all back to Danesfield in the near future, we will have the water bowl and warm fires ready for you.

Yours sincerely

Matthew Drinkwater
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed at Danesfield House Hotel for our work Christmas 'Do' on 11/01/14. We were very impressed with the appearance of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff.
We were slightly concerned after learning that the Head Chef (Adam Simmonds) had left the hotel, however were very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food at the Oak Room restaurant, which was to a very high standard with very generous portions.
The Spa also was to very high standards and the fruit bar in the spa area is a nice touch. I had a 55min aromatherapy message, which was fantastically relaxing with a very professional and well trained therapist.
We enjoyed a room service breakfast, which was all served hot and fresh and at the allocated time.
All the staff encountered were friendly, attentive and helpful and we could not fault any part of the stay. would definitely recommend and would love to return in the future.

Room Tip: We had an upgrade to an Executive Double room, which had fantastic views of the garden and the room...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear agtf1

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your Christmas “Do” and delighted to read that all aspects of your time with us where fantastic.

Naturally we will share all of your comments with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Danesfield in the future.

Please do contact me directly so I may help with any arrangements for you next visit personally.

Thanks again

Very best wishes,

Anthony

Anthony Cox

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I was treated to a stay here last weekend as a special surprise anniversary treat (our first time away without children so very much appreciated!). I was so excited as we drove up the driveway as had been trying to guess where we were going the whole journey!
If you would like to treat yourselves please come here it was magical especially at sunrise the following morning.
Afternoon tea, dinner, the spa all fantastic with very helpful staff.
If I had any grumbles at all it would be that we had to wait a longtime to check in and there were no bathrobes left in the spa until ours could be retrieved from our room.
I suppose also slightly miffed that despite telling the check in staff that it was such a special occasion we weren't upgraded (like so many reviews I've read on here) but as I was being treated no way I was going to make this suggestion! My husband did pay extra for an executive room to ensure we got the view of the Thames but I can't help thinking if we'd not been right at the top we'd have had a bigger room and bathroom (tiny and hardly big enough for two people) - I suppose a large bath would have been nice but maybe all the
bathrooms are this small...?
Yes it would have been nice for our anniversary to have been noted ( given the calibre of hotel but also given other people's
experiences but we still had a wonderful time and will be living off the memories for a while!
Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Francesca-76
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Francesca-76,

I was delighted to read your review and would like to thank you for your praise regarding your recent stay and have shared it with our staff here. It is a magical place and you were right about the magnificent sun rise.

We are Grade two listed here and all of our rooms have different layouts and sizes. However, we do automatically upgrade our guests if at all possible
and hopefully, when you return to us, I would be grateful if I could look after your booking personally.

Peter Faarup.
Guest Relations Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!