“Heavenly”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. We had an executive room that was enormous and very well appointed with a lovely seating area and plenty of room for clothes. The spa facilities were very good and whilst we didn't have time to eat in the restaurant the sandwiches we had were delightful. Breakfast had a wide choice of very nice and different options. The staff were very attentive and helpful. Room 201 is fantastic

Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Caroline S,

We were so pleased to read your kind words regarding a recent stay at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa, thanks for taking the time to write it. I am pleased that all of the elements of your stay matched your expectations and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Tim Healey
Food & Beverage Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here on a sat night and booked a deal through Secret Escapes. We arrived impressed by the building and impressed by the warm welcome..then we got to our room (124!) window did not close 1 inch gap, occasional chairs tatty and heavily stained, rips and tears in the curtain linings and twin beds pushed together (big bug bear when they know you are a married couple!!) went for a lovely walk in the grounds had afternoon tea both were lovely then back to room 124, no hot water in shower as there was a gap in window I literally shivvered my way through getting ready there was a portable radiator in the room ( should a 5* hotel need these??) went to dinner excellent service and food drink in bar excellent back to the room for bed, shivered our way through the night on awful feather pillows which had no feathers left in them, on the whole excellent service awful room. £50 given on check out for the loss of hot water an email sent to guest services on return home totally ignored!

• Stayed: February 2014
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Kitty77
Many thanks for your review following your stay with us in February and my sincere apologies that it was marred by difficulties with our heating system caused by a power cut due to the storms affecting the local area earlier that day.
I would like to thank you for your very positive feedback in respect of the service and the team here at Danesfield House. Great people make great hotels and I am grateful that despite the shortfalls experienced you have taken the time and effort to recognise that.
I will be in touch directly to make amends, we are currently working through a soft refurbishment programme throughout the house and your feedback has been duly noted here and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back personally to Danesfield.
Until then, thank you once again for your very balanced view.

Very best wishes,

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We have stayed here a few times and when a deal came up on Secret Escapes we jumped at it . Lovely location and high enough from Thames to not be impacted by floodwater . Service was in main excellent , comfortable rooms , cozy lounge and good bar . We eat in the Oak Room which was very enjoyable . The only downside was some service issues which appeared to be caused by the 'Secret Escape' type deals . On Sat evening we had no hot water for shower , a credit was given and the breakfast on Sunday morning was chaotic due to volume and whilst hot buffet as plentiful there was no fruit and limited pastries on the continental buffet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Couperon
“Lovely location”
Thank you for taking the time to post a review in Trip advisor and it was a pleasure to have you back with us again. My Sincere apologies for the lack of hot water during your stay, whilst our height above the Thames has certainly helped recently, this disruption was caused by a power outage affecting the local area earlier that day.
Thank you for your feedback in respect of breakfast that we will address and your many positive comments concerning the “team, comfort, cosiness” and of course a “good bar”!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and please do contact me directly so I can arrange our best rate on a future visit.

Very best wishes

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The nature of the site prohibits the resolution (before publication) of a previous review. The policy is fine, however in some circumstances an experienced reviewer such as myself simply has to say - well done to the hotel and it's team. My previous review of the orangery did reflect my feelings but what is often unpredictable is the management and hotels response - not through trip advisor - this is not a tool for blackmail, but just a few talks and discussion with management and their subsequent actions. I cannot enter detail, and given the chance I would take down the review... All I can say - as is my previous experiences at Danesfield the management cares, and is prepared to acknowledge critique and adapt accordingly, my next evening meal was commendable - indeed the new chefs efforts to refresh the menu frankly - work. Lesson - occasionally there are mistakes, but it is how these are dealt with that really matters, this is what makes hotels like Danesfield special.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear bear12345

Thank you for taking the time to write an honest and frank review of your most recent experience at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa.

Billy Reid, our new Head of Food Operations will be delighted to hear your comments about the new menus, all who have visited seem thrilled with the menu choices on offer.

You are absolutely right, the new management does care and our single objective is for everyone who visits Danesfield House is that they have had an enjoyable & pleasurable experience and will return.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Peter Faarup
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for one night to celebrate valentines day. The room was lovely and spacious and the spa was faultless. We both had back, neck and shoulder massages which were amazing. The staff were very friendly and the food was very nice although the valentines set menu didn't have much to choose from. There was a power cut during the day which lasted about and hour. This resulted in us having no hot water until about 11pm and I had to have a freezing cold shower. There was no sense of apology or sympathy from the people at reception which did annoy me quite a bit, especially as the weekend package was quite expensive. perhaps they often have plumbing problems as it is quite an old building. Apart from that it was a lovely experience and I imagine in the summer the land surrounding would be absolutely beautiful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Issemm

I am sorry to read that your stay was not as perfect as we would have wanted it to be for you. We did unfortunately suffer with a power cut due to the recent intense storms that hit Marlow and surrounding areas. The power cut subsequently affected our hot water systems, which we were unable to rectify as quickly as we would have hoped. I am disappointed that the team were not more empathetic to you during this situation which I will discuss with the team on duty to rectify.

I was pleased however that regardless of this point your stay was an enjoyable one and I would recommend for you to return in the summer and experience our river view terrace in its prime.

Yours sincerely

Matthew Drinkwater
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I chose danesfield as a place to take my other half away for the weekend. we drove up the drive where we saw two lines of trees beautifully lit leading up to a stunning clock tower. we walked into reception , admittedly a little late to check in, where the reception staff who were tremendously helpful informed us of a complimentary up grade which only added to our joy. We then given a brief show round of the hotel and areas of interest, the grand hall looked stunning with its lit fire place and soft furnishings. We were then escorted to our room by a lovely chap who wore an orange tie and I think he was from eastern Europe but none the less seemed only to keen to help where he could. Our room was a south facing room which over looked the rather flooded river Thames and stunning hotel gardens, we had a massive four poster bed which you could get lost in.
We didn't spend long in the room as we had a reservation in the orangery restaurant so we thought we'd pop in the bar for a quick drink , the cocktail bar looked gorgeous with it tapestry walls and soft lighting we approached the bar where a young well spoken chap met us ( I think his name was Alex ? ) , he told us to take a seat where we felt comfortable, so we did . He came over to us after a few mins, I had struggled to find a cocktail on the list that I wanted so he Offered to create something for me after I had listed off a range of flavours I liked. I have no idea what the name of the drink was but all I can say was it was so moreish ! As we were enjoying our drinks another very well presented gentleman from the restaurant came in with menus and wine list so we could have a look at them before we sat. He knew the menu very well and even explained how certain dishes were cooked and prepared. It wasn't a vast menu nor was it a small menu. He then came back to take the order where once again I couldn't make my mind up, he then recommended some dishes that he thought I'd like and also based on the wine we had chose. with our order taken a young waitress from the restaurant escorted us through to our table with what was left of our drinks on a tray and she even pulled out our chairs !!! our wine and bread was already on the table for us. The attention to detail was impressive, our starters came out beautifully presented I thought it was fine dining ! the flavours were glorious I even stole a bit of my husbands starter. Main course was the same it looked very pretty, I had ordered a Pollock which was lovely and moist , my husband had a steak with chips , the chips looked so crispy and chunky that I had to try one and one wasn't enough so I quickly grabbed the attention of the waitress to order a side of them . We couldn't get the plates cleaner and we were very keen to have dessert. My husband wanted the cheeses and so asked and the waitress happily listed off the cheeses he was little disappointed not here any French cheeses but it didn't stop him, I had ordered a pannacotta the only issue id have of the dessert would be to maybe make it a little bit larger but again the flavours were perfect. By this time the restaurant was in full swing and staff were going all out to see to every body needs, the waiter come over to us and offered to serve us coffee in the grand hall to which we obliged. Sadly we couldn't get the fire place as it was occupied but our coffees were still brought to us . We soon headed up to bed for the night with satisfied bellies. Breakfast the next morning was very busy we had come down a little late and we were sat in the other restaurant where a waiter came over to us to take our order for coffee and toast , the buffet was a good spread including a hot buffet but the fruit seemed to disappear very quickly sadly it was eventually replenished but the staff were in "Go " mode. The were plenty of them on hand and they did still manage to deliver a good service but it did look a little bit strain full.
After breakfast we went for a stroll in the splendid gardens with a beautiful view point of the river before we checked out, but I do wonder how do the trim the bushes like that !?! I do wonder how the gardens will look in the summer if they looked that good in the winter .
All in all we left very satisfied with our stay and hopefully we will return one day .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kate h
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear kate h,

We were all absolutely delighted to read your review of Danesfield House on Trip Advisor this week, thank you for writing it and posting it online.

I was pleased to read that our bar and restaurant teams were able to assist you with choosing both drinks and dishes from our menus – I have of course passed on your comments to Alex in the bar who was thrilled that you mentioned him. I have also shared your comments with the reception team who were equally pleased that you enjoyed such a smooth check-in upon arrival.

The team and I were pleased to read that your experience was all that you had wished for and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Tim Healey
Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed on a room and dinner package for our anniversary last weekend which was outstanding value. Arriving at Danesfield was quite spectacular, it's a grand building set in beautiful grounds and sets up the stay nicely. Check in was professional and friendly, and the entrance lobby is old world charm at its best. We had a four poster suite which was tastefully decorated and a really good size, with huge windows, immaculate furnishing and the bathroom was functional and clean. There was an anniversary cake in the room which was a nice touch. We took breakfast in the room and the selection and taste was excellent, and the food had good heat to it still.

My wife had the Danesfield trilogy treatment in the spa (while I got acquainted with the bar) which she thoroughly enjoyed and said the staff were really friendly. The pool was amazing and the whole spa was clean and restful.

We had our evening meal in the Orangery which we really enjoyed. We started with a cocktail in the bar, where the bar staff are all friendly and good humoured and while having our drink, a lovely waitress came and gave us some menu’s, explained some of the dishes and was able to answer all of our questions (which doesn’t always happen at some of the other notable places in Berks/Bucks) so again, we were impressed. I had the pigeon and medjool date starter which came with a pastilla of confit pigeon leg, I thought this was amazing and as good as anywhere I had them in France, so good actually that I could have eaten a plate full! I was boring for my main and went for fillet steak which was super tasty and cooked rare as requested, for dessert, I had cheese including Windsor blue. My wife was raving about her meal as well, she had goats cheese starter, venison which was cooked to perfection and the pistachio, chocolate dessert. Considering this is their standard restaurant, we were very impressed. The Oak Room must be something very special if the Orangery is anything to go on.

Reasonable wine list price and choice wise, the bar stocks some good premium spirits, including my favourite rum, Santa Teresa 1796 and does some excellent classic and modern cocktails.

We’ll definitely return, even if just for a meal.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JumboMumboLand
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear JumboMumboLand

“Laid back luxury” neatly sums up what we aim to provide here at Danesfield, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Do contact me directly when you are next coming back even just for a bite to eat.

Very best wishes,

Anthony Cox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 1 in Hurley
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!