“A Cuban cigar sir?”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
St priest ligoure
“A Cuban cigar sir?”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Luxury hotel with young unexperienced staff.
A fine selection of some of the best Cuban cigars for sale at the bar, but no smoking area, not even a covered part of the terrace.
The breakfast menu suggest a selection of fine French farm cheeses.
No cheeses on the buffet on request "i can get you some brie sir if you wish!
Not very impressive for a hotel of this category and these prices!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bernard C
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Bernard C

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor and sharing your views. Clearly some areas for us to work on, but I was pleased to note that you found our location and sleep quality very good.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Very best wishes

Anthony
Anthony Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay with my husband. Overall we had a lovely time - beautiful building, full of character (and a very interesting history), gorgeous surroundings, lovely spa and attentive, friendly staff. Also gets plus points because my husband "won" the stay at a charity auction event and Danefield House was one of few SLH hotels that honoured the prize for a weekend booking without any fuss - extra brownie points!

We were very lucky with the weather, and had a lovely walk around the hotel grounds Saturday afternoon and a wander along the river in Henley on Sunday morning.

Some fairly minor annoyances (below) although these didn't spoil the overall feeling of coming home very relaxed.

If I'm nit-picking, points to note are:
- Wi-fi is free but you have to go through a rather convoluted process to register, which is just annoying.
- The Oak Room was lovely and we had a fabulous meal although a couple of oddities - particularly an amuse bouche of parsnip soup which was boiling hot and in a full sized tea cup and a pre-dessert of a slice of carrot cake - not sure what the point of that was and rather spoilt the actual dessert because it just filled us up even more. The rest of the meal was very good.
- The Orangery was pleasant - service rather amateurish in that we had to keep asking for the wine to be poured, but then the lovely young girl who took our coffee order asked if we'd like her to check if the fireplace in the grand hall was free for us to sit there - very friendly. Also good food.
- The spa was great and on Sunday afternoon when the weather outside was glorious we had the pool to ourselves - however, when we looked in on Saturday afternoon it was very busy and all beds taken.
- Toiletries weren't replaced overnight - seemed unusual in a hotel of this standard. Also a fruit bowl had a couple of decaying strawberries that weren't removed.

But as I said, these are nit-picking, purely because of the overall cost - but still worth it, and we would go back.

Room Tip: We had a Thames view - definitely worth it. Rooms not big, but have lots of character - traditional...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Fordyber

Thank you for your great review of our Hotel and Spa and congratulations on winning such a great prize. I am glad that overall you had a relaxing stay with us and I do hope that following these experiences, this will not be your last visit.

I have noted your finer details that you raised and will discuss these points amongst the management team to review our operating procedures moving forward. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Kind regards

Matthew Drinkwater
Deputy General Manager
UK
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Really lovely hotel -full of old world charm and history-views are beautiful over formal gardens and the river.
Lots of nice touches in the room-good toiletries,bathrobe,real milk for hospitality tray ,complimentary waters .
Staff very helpful.Read other reviews about dated decor-maybe a bit-but so nice not to stay in a chain hotel

Room Tip: room 304 overlooks Thames
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Shaz1Uk

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We're thrilled you noticed the little touches, some of which are relatively new. Having Aromatherapy Associates products in the rooms has been very well received!

All the team will be delighted to hear your complimentary remarks, which will be passed on with immediate effect.
We hope to see you again.

Kindest Regards

Georgia Lacey
Marketing Manager
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have just returned from a short stay at Danesfield House Hotel and Spa, near Marlow, Bucks., and I cannot praise it enough. We don't live far from this hotel and I've been several times over the past 10 years or so both for special occasions and short breaks. The hotel is in such a beautiful position, above the River Thames, and the staff really know how to pamper guests and make them feel special. The food is excellent and the spa is one of the best I have experienced. Some hotels can vary according to management, chefs, etc., but this one has been consistently excellent each time we have visited. I look forward to my next visit and hope it won't be too long.

Room Tip: Every room I have had has been good. This time I was with my daughter and a young family friend, so...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear CherokeeGBPKM

I want to thank you personally for such a glowing review of Danesfield House, the team work extremely hard to deliver the best they can for all our guests. They will be extremely pleased to hear that we have created such an enthusiast of the hotel in yourselves. I do hope that this means we will see you again very soon at the hotel. Should you return please contact me directly so that I may personally welcome you back to the hotel.

Yours sincerely

Matthew Drinkwater
Deputy General Manager
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The Danesfield House Hotel And Spa is a must for those looking to be treated like royalty but at a snip of the cost. Everything from the location, the room, the spa, the views, the gardens, the food and most importantly the attentive staff is worth every penny.

I will start by complimenting the staff. They were friendly, well presented, professional but relaxed, always smiling and really could not have done enough for you. I would like to mention Peter Farrup who is a true Gent. He is a credit to Danesfield and would like to thank him for his help and attentive service.

Despite the recent weather and it being late winter/early spring, the gardens were well presented and maintained. It was lovely to wonder around them after our breakfast taking in some nice views of the surrounding countryside.

The room was clean, well presented and I have never seen such a massive bed. Executive Room upgrade is worth every penny. I slept like a baby!

Now Food is an important part of my life and it has to be said, the catering team at Danesfield know what excellent food is. Dinner in The Orangary was just fantastic. Very well priced for the standard of food and the service was fast, friendly and attentive. It is a must to book in the restaurant as we could not get in on our first night and had a mad rush to find a local place in Marlow to eat.

The Spa is also a great way to unwind, very nice facilities and enjoyed a relaxing time here. Clean and well presented again.

The critcism I have for Danesfield is minimal. I felt the breakfast was very nice, but not big enough, the spa could have had a few extra loungers and that they could have slowed time down so I could have had more time to enjoy the weekend and to take it all in.

This place is a must for any man looking to score major man points with his other half. I know she was impressed as much as I was. Get Booking now!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Executive Room. They are so spacious and will make your stay that little more special...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Stephen B

Thank you for taking the time to write an honest review on Trip, it made us smile! :) We are absolutely thrilled you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa.

Personal mentions we always forward on and Peter Faarup, Guest Relations Manager will be delighted to hear your feedback, as will all the team here.
So pleased to hear you enjoyed The Orangery, Billy Reid, our Executive Head Chef has created a new menu which is proving very popular.

We have taken your minimal criticism on board and will of course address.
We hope to see you again and thank you once again for your comments.

Kindest Regards

Georgia Lacey
Marketing Manager
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here over the valentines weekend for one night. The room was ok, looked nice on the surface however it could do with a bit of an update, ripped curtains, scraggy carpet. The hotel is quite impressive to look at from the outside and within however the whole place could do with a bit of an update as certain areas are looking a little worn. The spa is just ok, stayed at Pennyhill Park and that knocked spots off the Danesfield. Granted the price brackets are slightly different.

The service at dinner was first class from the bar man to the waiters and the food was incredible so that is definitely a big plus. We ate in the Orangery.

One downside was there was no hot water in our room, we put it down to the power cuts due to the weather so can't really blame the hotel for that, it was just lucky that we were close to the spa so we could wander down and have a hot shower there.

Overall it was a nice little break but I think the hotel needs some money throwing at it to bring it back up to 4 star quality.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Simon L
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us over the Valentines weekend and indeed your understanding in regard to the difficulty we had over the weekend in relation to the power situation.
I have to say we were all delighted in respect of your feedback in relation to the cocktail bar and dinner in particular. The team care passionately about delivering great service and it is always nice to be acknowledged in this way.
A number of our bedrooms are currently undergoing refurbishment programme, with the first of a multi-phase project (16 bedrooms) due for completion mid-2014 and together with a rolling programme of works scheduled for this year we will continue to sympathetically update the house
Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield personally on a future visit.
Very best wishes,

Anthony
Anthony Cox
London
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our recent weekend stay at Danesfield. We upgraded our room from the secret escapes deal to room 340 which was up in one of turrets so very peaceful and great views of the lovely gardens which we explored, and of the flooded Thames far below. Danesfield misses the local flooding by being perched on top of a hill near Marlow (a lovely market town worth exploring). Our allocated dinner slot was 8.30 so we had a bite to eat in the room to accompany the complimentary prosecco before our walk. The club sandwich was lovely. When we arrived at dinner we had a nice table in the Orangery and I agree that the menu there is very good (note you have to ask for an expanded menu for a supplement of £10pp which is well worth it). Smoked salmon, lamb, goats cheese, duck, Chenin blanc and Malbec were all heartily consumed before the unnecessary but equally delicious installments of treacle tart, chocolate mousse and Sauternes. Service impeccable throughout. As we gazed through the window the guests in the main Oak Room restaurant didn't look as happy as us. Keen to see the whole hotel we visited the bar after dinner. Here we were given an education in the world of spirits and liqueurs by the thoroughly entertaining Simon who along with his colleague represented the hotel really well. The fascinating life of a barman, well I certainly picked the wrong career. This was supposed to be a relaxing weekend but we were having so much fun that we had to push on until the early hours and it would have been the morning had we been whiskey drinkers such was the selection of bottles. The next day after an excellent cooked breakfast back in the orangery we visited the spa and received excellent Indian head massages and pedicures. Yes me too. Georgina was fantastic. We will definitely go back to Danesfield. Only 45 mins drive from London and great value on the deal.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PistolPete2009
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear PistolPete2009,

Thank you for posting a detailed account of your stay at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa on Trip Advisor – we were all delighted to read your comments.

Our respective teams and team members have all seen your comments, and were naturally thrilled that you mention Simon and Georgina by name. I was pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed you evening meal in the Orangery – the new menu came in only three weeks ago and has been met with some fantastic comments from our guests.

Next time you come to visit, please do give the Oak Room a try – Executive Chef Billy Reid has designed sumptuous menus with a focus on quality British ingredients at £55.00 for three courses. I know I have a biased view, but I couldn’t recommend it more highly!

Please let me know when you are next planning a stay or even just a bite to eat.

Kind regards,
Tim Healey
Food & Beverage Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!