“Superb tasting menu”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I visited here to treat a friend for a birthday meal, The food and service was superb, it was quite pricey but I felt it was worth it for a special occasion. Of course with the tasting menu we had something like 12 courses but all very small and this is great as you would never bother doing anything like this at home.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Plumly,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your visit to us last Summer, and hope to welcome you back to Danesfield on a future occasion.

Anthony Cox

There are newer reviews for Danesfield House Hotel And Spa

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a fantastic 5 days in the area of Buckinghamshire, and London before going to Buckingham Palace. Staying here first and having afternoon tea was lovely, we were very well looked after, and were treated to a firework display, thanks to a wedding reception that was taking place, will definitely do it again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for garden, river views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor495
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Trevor495

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us here at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa. We are absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Afternoon Tea is always very popular here, so I am glad you had the opportunity to sample it.

As for the fireworks display, well, what an added bonus!
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards

Peter Faarup
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel. We got a great deal for Easter weekend and from the time of booking we received unbelievably good service. The building is stunning, with views onto the Thames (from the Orangerie restaurant too) and incredible character/atmosphere. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms and, whilst it didn't have a view, it was clean and spacious.

We were visiting because we had booked a table at the Hand and Flowers in Marlow (also didn't disappoint). But we did eat at the hotel itself a few times and it was really lovely fro dinner as well as breakfast, plus the wine/cocktail selection were impressive. I loved the bar and its staff. They kept us entertained well into the night!!!

Finally, the spa... it was wonderfully tranquil, not many children and those there were well behaved. I had a lovely rose facial and a very precise manicure. My partner had a massage and he said it was just right. The gym is also well equipped. Usually I am disappointed by hotel gyms but it was clear that locals were members here so they needed to cater accordingly.

Overall, top marks!! I hope they continue to do well as they certainly put in a lot of effort. It's also worth mentioning that Marlow is a lovely spot for shopping - clothes, homeware etc. I didn't expect that!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FionaKehily

Dear FionaKehily,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Danesfield House on Trip Advisor.
I was delighted to read your complimentary remarks & have passed them on to our team, who very much appreciated them.

I am so glad you enjoyed both the hotel & Spa Illuminata.
Hope to see you both here again in the not too distant future.

Thank you once again.

Peter Faarup
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We booked this hotel with friends for one night and both booked a junior suite within a few minutes of each other . Our friends were allocated room 201. A lovely room with four poster, separate dressing area, several seating areas and sofas and lovely views. We were allocated room 101. This room had a four poster bed, and doors open on to the gardens. It was about a third of the size of our friends room with 2 chairs and a table for seating. The room was very cold when we arrived and I was told by reception that the heating would be on in one hour. The room was pleasant and clean but tired and not impressive enough to be called a Junior Suite. We had people walking past our patio doors and so it wasn't very private. I complained to the manager, Peter, about the difference in rooms and he offered to switch on the heating and revise the room rate. He was unable to move us as the hotel was full for a wedding.
The main areas if the hotel are very nice and the restaurant and bar areas look nice. Disappointingly for us, we have a disabled child and cannot get away very easily, so we would have preferred a nicer room and not a room reduction. It is odd that for such different rooms, they are the same price.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank SurreyCopilot
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear SurreyCopilot

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. 101 opens directly onto our beautiful grounds with a seating area outside, that 201 does not have the benefit of. Although 201 is indeed a larger room it doesn’t have the outside space. Generally we find guests enjoying having outside space, view of the river and access to the grounds or a balcony hence the classification.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the look of the restaurant and bar areas, and hope to welcome you back soon for a longer visit. Please do contact me directly so may make the arrangements for you personally.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here for our anniversary weekend, May 2014. I booked a 2 night package deal through a 3rd party which included champagne on arrival, dinner (on one night) & breakfast + upgrade to a deluxe / executive room. Our room was very nice & clean with a view over the gardens & river. I had a sore back each morning but as my husband didn't perhaps I'm overly sensitive when it comes to different mattresses. Feather pillows were disappointingly flat.

We used the pool & Jacuzzi which were both a bit on the cold side but the sauna was OK and it was nice to have robes as standard; other hotels I've stayed in charge for this.

Breakfast was good. Lots of choice of cereals, pastries & fruit etc. buffet style. Cooked food was made to order, again a good selection. 1st day we ate outside in the sun, gorgeous setting. 2nd day was opted for a lazy room service option & this arrived just 5 minutes early but the order was complete (even the beans & gluten free toast which I'd hand written on the card as there was no option to 'tick').

Unfortunately dinner was a huge disappointment. My steak (ordered medium) was well done, no trace of pink, tasteless & under seasoned. My husband's fish was non descript, boring and his potatoes were over salted; huge crystals all over them. He had to rub it off using his napkin. As the website states, there may well have been "a mouth-watering a la Carte Menu" but the food didn't match up to it.

If you book here using a 3rd party, make sure you push for what was promised. I had to ask for the champagne as it wasn't in the room on arrival and I was charged for the dinner but the receptionist deducted it once I'd produced the e-mail confirmation. Check your bill. I had to ask what the entries were for as they don't make it obvious. Line items such as 'Dinner' and 'Bar' would make life easier for the guest on check out. The entry on our bill for food could have easily have been the bar bill @ £12 for a G&T. Glad I questioned the items on it.

My advice would be to stay here on a B&B basis and go to another restaurant for dinner & drinks.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the garden & river is a good choice but if you're staying on a wedding we...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Paula S S

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us and although I was delighted to read that you rated our rooms, location and cleanliness as excellent I was of course disappointed that you felt our food detracted from the overall experience.

I will be in touch directly to learn a little more about this and hopeful have an opportunity to make amends and have a n opportunity to showcase what I know we generally do well.

Very best regards,

Anthony Cox

Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a very impressive building and restaurant but unfortunately when we arrived at the restaurant we were ignored for about 20 minutes we had to ask for drinks and menus they were brought after about a further 10 minutes, it was about about another 30 minutes before they returned after they were reminded that they had not taken our order.. We eventually sat down for dinner 45minutes later. Service was very slow throughout the meal. This was mentioned to the restaurant manager who said it was due to a wedding function. In the hotel, but we felt this should not have been the case for a hotel of this standard. The food was ok but nothing exceptional. We will not be rushing back here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alan H
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Alan H

My sincere apologies for the delay during service last Saturday evening, we generally manage to get the timings right however on this occasion clearly something went awry.

Having been contacted directly by another member of your party who made the booking, who personally found the food to be excellent, I do hope we have another opportunity to make amends.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at the Danesfield for 2 nights and the place was absolutely amazing, the spa facilities were great and the women's changing rooms very well maintained. The views are breathtaking and I took a lovely walk with my partner through the woods, it had started to drizzle that evening but we still enjoyed the serenity of the place. The food was delicious and breakfast tea was very nice also. Can't fault this place my partner and I had a superb time and the staff were very polite.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear HHayre

So lovely to read your comments on Trip. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to Danesfield House Hotel & Spa. We will pass on your comments to the team at Spa Illuminata who will be very happy to hear you enjoyed the Spa.

I am glad you had the time to walk around the grounds which are beautiful in every weather, we are very lucky to be in such a beautiful position.

We hope to see you again and thank you once again for taking the time to write about your experience here.

Kindest Regards

Georgia Lacey
Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!