“Peaceful and charming”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Came her with my husband for a big party. Our room was amazing and we had an amazing balcony and even better view! Slept like a log, very comfortable bed. Great big rooms with some great features and also amazing scenery around the hotel.
Breakfast yummy. Staff attentive and room service was quick.
Want a couple getaway, this is a good place to come

Room Tip: Book early if you are going in a big group.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear oneillbex

Thank you for taking the time to review Danesfield House on Trip Advisor. Such lovely feedback is always good to hear and we really appreciate it. I will pass on to all the team at Danesfield House, who will be delighted to hear your comments.

Hope you visit again soon.
Best Wishes

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had the opportunity to stay three days in this extremely well located hotel, 45 minutes away from London and next to the river Thames. It was almost a very pleasant experience. Danesfield should make the much needed investments to make this resort top notch. Rooms and bathrooms need an urgent uplift. I was given an excellent room (207), but when I tried to reach the balcony, the door handle came out. It took me ten minutes to get the right temperature for the water in the shower. Having said that, food was first rate, wine outstanding, service a delight. But unless the required uplift is not undertaken, I doubt Danesfield will survive in this highly competitive business.

Room Tip: Choose a room with garden and river views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Cocolo47

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on trip advisor and whilst I was delighted to read the superlatives about the food wine and most of all service, I was sorry to learn of the difficulties in regards to water temperature. The door handle coming away from the door when accessing the balcony, that sadly we can’t legislate for, is perhaps one of those idiosyncrasies of an older building.

I am pleased to report that we are making progress with the full refurbishment of 16 rooms and suites and once completed we will embark upon further selected upgrades. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back personally on a future visit, and would ask you to contact me directly so I may look after all of the arrangements personally.

Thanks once again for letting us know your thoughts.

Anthony Cox

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked this hotel for a wedding anniversary meal and stay overnight. We had stayed there briefly following our wedding a few years before and had had a good stay that time. On this occasion, we were pleased to be offered a free 'upgrade' to the Tower Suite. This was very disappointing - the room was on three levels, sitting area, bathroom area and bedroom. The bathroom was like something out of the 1980's and I suspect hadn't been upraded since then - right down to the worn formica worktop with cheap inset basin and taps. Lounge and bedroom were traditionally furnished but again could benefit from refurbishment. Having said that, the restaurant was very good indeed with restaurant staff were helpful and attentive. However, in the lounge, service was patchy - we never did get the cream tea we so wanted!

Room Tip: Check whether the room has been refurbished
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear HelicopterMike

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us and I am sorry the Tower Suite was not to your liking, It is indeed traditionally furnished in keeping with the rest of the house, but we find many guests love the additional space it provides and the view of the estate with its double aspect.

I was pleased to read your thoughts on dinner, but clearly we missed the mark in the lounge for which I apologise and will raise with the team.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield on another occasion, we have a couple of bedrooms at Danesfield designed by Philippe Starck, that are more contemporary that may be more to your liking, and please contact me directly so I may make any arrangements for you personally.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I visited here to treat a friend for a birthday meal, The food and service was superb, it was quite pricey but I felt it was worth it for a special occasion. Of course with the tasting menu we had something like 12 courses but all very small and this is great as you would never bother doing anything like this at home.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Plumly,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your visit to us last Summer, and hope to welcome you back to Danesfield on a future occasion.

Anthony Cox

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a fantastic 5 days in the area of Buckinghamshire, and London before going to Buckingham Palace. Staying here first and having afternoon tea was lovely, we were very well looked after, and were treated to a firework display, thanks to a wedding reception that was taking place, will definitely do it again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for garden, river views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor495
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Trevor495

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us here at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa. We are absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Afternoon Tea is always very popular here, so I am glad you had the opportunity to sample it.

As for the fireworks display, well, what an added bonus!
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel. We got a great deal for Easter weekend and from the time of booking we received unbelievably good service. The building is stunning, with views onto the Thames (from the Orangerie restaurant too) and incredible character/atmosphere. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms and, whilst it didn't have a view, it was clean and spacious.

We were visiting because we had booked a table at the Hand and Flowers in Marlow (also didn't disappoint). But we did eat at the hotel itself a few times and it was really lovely fro dinner as well as breakfast, plus the wine/cocktail selection were impressive. I loved the bar and its staff. They kept us entertained well into the night!!!

Finally, the spa... it was wonderfully tranquil, not many children and those there were well behaved. I had a lovely rose facial and a very precise manicure. My partner had a massage and he said it was just right. The gym is also well equipped. Usually I am disappointed by hotel gyms but it was clear that locals were members here so they needed to cater accordingly.

Overall, top marks!! I hope they continue to do well as they certainly put in a lot of effort. It's also worth mentioning that Marlow is a lovely spot for shopping - clothes, homeware etc. I didn't expect that!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FionaKehily

Dear FionaKehily,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Danesfield House on Trip Advisor.
I was delighted to read your complimentary remarks & have passed them on to our team, who very much appreciated them.

I am so glad you enjoyed both the hotel & Spa Illuminata.
Hope to see you both here again in the not too distant future.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We booked this hotel with friends for one night and both booked a junior suite within a few minutes of each other . Our friends were allocated room 201. A lovely room with four poster, separate dressing area, several seating areas and sofas and lovely views. We were allocated room 101. This room had a four poster bed, and doors open on to the gardens. It was about a third of the size of our friends room with 2 chairs and a table for seating. The room was very cold when we arrived and I was told by reception that the heating would be on in one hour. The room was pleasant and clean but tired and not impressive enough to be called a Junior Suite. We had people walking past our patio doors and so it wasn't very private. I complained to the manager, Peter, about the difference in rooms and he offered to switch on the heating and revise the room rate. He was unable to move us as the hotel was full for a wedding.
The main areas if the hotel are very nice and the restaurant and bar areas look nice. Disappointingly for us, we have a disabled child and cannot get away very easily, so we would have preferred a nicer room and not a room reduction. It is odd that for such different rooms, they are the same price.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank SurreyCopilot
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear SurreyCopilot

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. 101 opens directly onto our beautiful grounds with a seating area outside, that 201 does not have the benefit of. Although 201 is indeed a larger room it doesn’t have the outside space. Generally we find guests enjoying having outside space, view of the river and access to the grounds or a balcony hence the classification.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the look of the restaurant and bar areas, and hope to welcome you back soon for a longer visit. Please do contact me directly so may make the arrangements for you personally.

Anthony

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#5 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!