“Old World Charm And Outstanding Cuisine”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
“Old World Charm And Outstanding Cuisine”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Room 100 in the Tower was charming and large. While slightly out dated in renovations my opinion is the charm supersedes.

We had restaurant dinner and needed to bring the chef out to clarify creative vegan, but it was outstanding. My pre selected vegan dinner was outstanding. And the lunch was top notch all around.

Watch for photos and when you come here enjoy the grounds , the friendly staff and the charm only found in the UK.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Received an offer to attend Danesfield House for the day, with massage and cream teas included. I went with my other half. We arrived by car and the grounds, building and surrounding area are stunning. We headed immediately to the spa and got changed. The dressing gown provided for the males was very small, and quite worn and tatty (but clean). We then both received a back massage which we both found extremely relaxing. The spa staff were very friendly and approachable. We were given use of the spa facilities but chose to head out to the restaurant for cream teas. The sandwiches and teas were of a good quality and then we hit our problem. As I was about to bite into a pastry something caught my eye and I looked down to find a beetle moving around inside! It had been face down on the plate since it had been served to us so there was no way it could have crawled in during the meal and can only have got in there prior to it being served to us. I am not one for causing a scene, but needed to alert the staff so that they could check the remaining pastries for other customers before they were served in case they also had insects in them. I called over a waitress, who took one look and screamed (not very discreet) and then headed off to find a supervisor, taking the plate with her (I did not think to take a photograph in time). I saw the waitress speak to her supervisor who then continued to go about his normal business for well over 5 minutes before eventually coming over to speak to us. He explained that he had been informed that we had encountered a problem with our food. I briefly explained but was interrupted by him, saying that the food is stored in sealed boxes and the insect must have flown in whilst the food was sat outside in front of us. I tried to explain that it was impossible to have happened as the pastry was upside down and had been all of the time. This staff member then interrupted me again and said it must have flown in and that this is a danger you face if you choose to sit outside! Clearly this chap hadn't excelled in customer service class and within a few minutes all of the relaxation from the massage had been undone and I was frustrated at his lack of ability to hold an adult conversation or even apologise on behalf of the company. I did not want anything for free and did not ask for it, I just wanted him to check the remaining pastries to be served to others for any insects that may have lost their way. He repeatedly said "Do you want anything? to which I did not, but eventually agreed for both of us to accept a glass of champagne 'on the house'. He could not have rushed the champagne out to us any quicker and when he placed it down he asked if "everything is okay?". When I replied "yes" it was as if the weight of the entire world had just been lifted from his shoulders and I had signed a waiver not to take legal action against Danesfield House. He replied quick as a flash "Good so everything's sorted then there's no more problems" and turned on his heels. Not wanting to completely undo the good work of the rest of the staff at Danesfield House, we voted with our feet, and made a hasty retreat. I'm very disappointed as we had a fantastic day, but unfortunately this was ruined by a minor incident dealt with wholly inappropriately by an unsympathetic, ignorant and rude member of staff. I personally would not return here again, but provided you have have no dealings with the ignoramus himself, you should have a great time!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ollie J
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Ollie J

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I was of course sorry to learn of the incident on the terrace.
All of our afternoon scones and cakes are made “in house” daily and so as my colleague’s reaction demonstrated we were as shocked as you were with what you found, but remain confident that the “offender” appeared whilst you were on the terrace.
My apologies that this incident marred an otherwise “Fantastic Day” and I hope would hope you would give us another opportunity following this one off occurrence.

Very best wishes

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My daughter had her large wedding reception here and many guests stayed overnight. The staff were wonderful and the food we couldn't fault. Nothing too much trouble and everything we had asked for was provided. We were blessed with a glorious day, so sipping champagne and looking directing down over the Thames was amazing. Guests were fortunate in that they could enjoy walking around the grounds the following morning after breakfast and visiting the Spa.The rooms were very comfortable we had the superior ones with terraces. The décor is traditional country house, so could be described by some a needing updating, but for us it was all perfectly acceptable.

I have returned on a few occasions for afternoon tea in the glass terrace which is devine, with everything replenished as and when required, and also for dinner.

This is a great place to hold a wedding or reception. Apparently there is a ghost who roams the gardens, but she was elsewhere when we were there!

Room Tip: One with a terrace overlooking the gardens and Thames.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Janet B

Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. I have shared them with the staff who are always appreciative of praise. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us together and hope to have the pleasure of your company in the not too distant future.

Best Wishes
Peter Faarup
Guest Relations Manager
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Having stayed here many times before I really feel let down by service we have received
Staff wonder around with no interest in giving the customer a pleasant experience .
The rooms are now very tired and in need of an urgent revamp for the quality of this hotel
Our room has the river view which is beautiful but there is no mirror or plugs
To dry you hair ?.
Breakfast is most disappointing with the quality of the ingredients very poor,I am afraid to say
I will not be staying again due to my experience ,the whole team needs training to give the customer a pleasant stay that matches the location and quality of the hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chris M
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Chris M

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following you recent stay with us. I will be in touch directly to learn a little more about your experience, that is far from the norm here at Danesfield, particularly in respect to your comments about the team.

Once again my apologies on this occasion we failed to reach your expectations and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and restore your faith in us.

oxford, uk
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Came her with my husband for a big party. Our room was amazing and we had an amazing balcony and even better view! Slept like a log, very comfortable bed. Great big rooms with some great features and also amazing scenery around the hotel.
Breakfast yummy. Staff attentive and room service was quick.
Want a couple getaway, this is a good place to come

Room Tip: Book early if you are going in a big group.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear oneillbex

Thank you for taking the time to review Danesfield House on Trip Advisor. Such lovely feedback is always good to hear and we really appreciate it. I will pass on to all the team at Danesfield House, who will be delighted to hear your comments.

Hope you visit again soon.
Best Wishes

Peter Faarup
Guest Relations Manager
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had the opportunity to stay three days in this extremely well located hotel, 45 minutes away from London and next to the river Thames. It was almost a very pleasant experience. Danesfield should make the much needed investments to make this resort top notch. Rooms and bathrooms need an urgent uplift. I was given an excellent room (207), but when I tried to reach the balcony, the door handle came out. It took me ten minutes to get the right temperature for the water in the shower. Having said that, food was first rate, wine outstanding, service a delight. But unless the required uplift is not undertaken, I doubt Danesfield will survive in this highly competitive business.

Room Tip: Choose a room with garden and river views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Cocolo47

Thank you for taking the time to share your views on trip advisor and whilst I was delighted to read the superlatives about the food wine and most of all service, I was sorry to learn of the difficulties in regards to water temperature. The door handle coming away from the door when accessing the balcony, that sadly we can’t legislate for, is perhaps one of those idiosyncrasies of an older building.

I am pleased to report that we are making progress with the full refurbishment of 16 rooms and suites and once completed we will embark upon further selected upgrades. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back personally on a future visit, and would ask you to contact me directly so I may look after all of the arrangements personally.

Thanks once again for letting us know your thoughts.

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked this hotel for a wedding anniversary meal and stay overnight. We had stayed there briefly following our wedding a few years before and had had a good stay that time. On this occasion, we were pleased to be offered a free 'upgrade' to the Tower Suite. This was very disappointing - the room was on three levels, sitting area, bathroom area and bedroom. The bathroom was like something out of the 1980's and I suspect hadn't been upraded since then - right down to the worn formica worktop with cheap inset basin and taps. Lounge and bedroom were traditionally furnished but again could benefit from refurbishment. Having said that, the restaurant was very good indeed with restaurant staff were helpful and attentive. However, in the lounge, service was patchy - we never did get the cream tea we so wanted!

Room Tip: Check whether the room has been refurbished
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear HelicopterMike

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us and I am sorry the Tower Suite was not to your liking, It is indeed traditionally furnished in keeping with the rest of the house, but we find many guests love the additional space it provides and the view of the estate with its double aspect.

I was pleased to read your thoughts on dinner, but clearly we missed the mark in the lounge for which I apologise and will raise with the team.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield on another occasion, we have a couple of bedrooms at Danesfield designed by Philippe Starck, that are more contemporary that may be more to your liking, and please contact me directly so I may make any arrangements for you personally.

Anthony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!