“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Came here for afternoon tea yesterday. We were greeted warmly and taken to our table which was in the oak room, a beautiful room. The waiters were extremely polite and friendly, we were made to feel very welcome. We ordered the danesfield afternoon tea. Sandwiches were delicious, lovely soft bread with a variety of fillings. The scones were light , served with clotted cream and jam. There was also a slate with a selection of 5 different small cakes, one of each type for each person, very generous. These were absolutely divine!
We finished our experience with a walk in the stunning grounds. The whole afternoon was perfect, I felt completely looked after and "away from it all"

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Reality123
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor following your visit to Danesfield for Afternoon Tea and a walk in our grounds.
I was delighted to read the team looked after you completely and you felt “away from it all” and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield soon for another leisurely afternoon.

Anthony Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Went there for tea. As I do not eat ham and I dislike eggs I asked for a cheese SANDWHICH. I know I should have given them 'notice' but the young waiter looked as if he never heard of such thing. At my third request the manageress came asking me what I wanted. I repeated the request I had made to the young lad. She "apologised" and said there had been a misunderstanding. It was anyway too late as I was eating cakes. The young waiter's understanding of English was minimal and his skills were not up to the standard of that establishment. The previous week I was with friends at Cliveden. (See My review) Danesfield in no way compare with Cliveden.

Room Tip: Did not stay and after tea experience would not stay
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank margherita p
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear margherita p

Thank you for taking the time to post a review with trip advisor following your groups afternoon tea with us in the Henley Room last week. I would like to apologise once again for the confusion, with one of the sandwiches as part of the tea was cream cheese, so clearly a misunderstanding on our part.

Despite this I understand the group had a wonderful afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the house by Peter, our guest relations manager and resident historian!

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

A very special lunch to celebrate our daughter's eighteenth birthday. And she was expecting a great things, as you drive up to the house through the lovely gardens Danesfield House is very impressive. We had booked a table for lunch in the Orangery and, as it was a beautiful day we were offered a table on the terrace which would be laid for us. The table was dirty and needed a clean but this never happened, we asked for some water as we were thirsty and the water arrived but no glasses to drink from and I had to ask for them twice. The starters were good and as to the main course my husband's steak was over cooked, my crab linguine was very average and when we asked where the crab was from our waitress took rather along time to say she didn't know, though she did return with a rather poor answer that they were from Cornwall! We had ordered a second round of drinks by this time again we where kept waiting and I had to ask again for the drinks.
My daughter ordered a pudding which arrived her favorite Creme Brulle, which is how she rates all restaurants, unfortunately there was no cutlery to eat it with. When the cutlery was brought it was served from a dirty tray.
It was time to leave and the bill arrived which was wrong an extra glass of wine had been added and the bottle of water that we had to wait ages for had been left off, the bill was returned to us but it was still incorrect as they had charged us for a different wine.
These issues were raised with a supervisor and got the usual platitudes that it was unacceptable and wouldn't happen again.
It's not the our first visit to Danesfield but it could be our last.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel and the magnificent grounds in which it stands are awesome. The reception staff were very attentive and friendly, as were all the staff and the breakfasts very good, although it appeared fried eggs were not an option with the hot breakfast buffet. We were there for a wedding weekend and all in all, had an excellent break. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, although in need of some renovation in parts. The one thing that lets this beautiful hotel down for me is the price of drinks in the bar. A bottle of Peroni beer ordered at the bar cost £5.50 and a small mineral water £2.95. I had asked for these to be added to my room bill, and as if these prices were not already enough, a further 12.5% was added to the bill for "service".

The brochure for the hotel indicated no expense was spared in building it in 1901. Clearly the costs are still being recouped. Take your own drinks!

Room Tip: Best views from rooms at the back overlooking the Thames valley
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ian4

Thank you very much for posting your recent review following your visit to us and I was delighted to read you had an excellent break. We regularly review our bar prices and in general we feel they are appropriate and are reflective of the hotel and its peer group, together with discretionary service charge.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review, and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield on a future special occasion.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our wedding anniversary. We had a deluxe room with balcony with stunning views of the river and the well kept gardens. However some of the furnishings were a little tired eg. the lining of the curtains were ripped. During our stay we had a few minor issues with the room eg. out of date milk in the mini bar but when notified the hotel staff rectified them promptly. The swimming pool and spa was well appointed and had pleasant staff who were customer focused. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Yvonne on reception, who was ok when we checked in but had a could not care less attitude when we checked out? We had room service and were disappointed that what we received did not match the description on the menu but as it was late evening we did not bother to send it back.The Danesfield has extensive well kept grounds which were great to just find a spot and relax in one of the numerous seating areas.On the whole we had a pleasant stay and I would stay here again but for the price it would have to be a special occasion.

Room Tip: Deluxe Room with garden/river views are south facing but prone to noise from courtyard if a function...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Danesfield Hous... a, Front Office Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear P7Jax,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our deluxe balcony rooms and had the chance to explore our extensive grounds in this beautiful weather we are having.

I was however sorry to learn of your experience with one of our newer members of the team, and as a result of your feedback I will be making the whole team aware of the importance of customer feedback. I have also made the food and beverage team aware of the difference with the room service menus and we will rectify this immediately.

I do hope this goes someway to showing how seriously we take all customer feedback and I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Danesfield House in the future.

Best wishes,

Charlotte O’Connell

Kind Regards,

Charlotte O’Connell
Front of House Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Room 100 in the Tower was charming and large. While slightly out dated in renovations my opinion is the charm supersedes.

We had restaurant dinner and needed to bring the chef out to clarify creative vegan, but it was outstanding. My pre selected vegan dinner was outstanding. And the lunch was top notch all around.

Watch for photos and when you come here enjoy the grounds , the friendly staff and the charm only found in the UK.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Received an offer to attend Danesfield House for the day, with massage and cream teas included. I went with my other half. We arrived by car and the grounds, building and surrounding area are stunning. We headed immediately to the spa and got changed. The dressing gown provided for the males was very small, and quite worn and tatty (but clean). We then both received a back massage which we both found extremely relaxing. The spa staff were very friendly and approachable. We were given use of the spa facilities but chose to head out to the restaurant for cream teas. The sandwiches and teas were of a good quality and then we hit our problem. As I was about to bite into a pastry something caught my eye and I looked down to find a beetle moving around inside! It had been face down on the plate since it had been served to us so there was no way it could have crawled in during the meal and can only have got in there prior to it being served to us. I am not one for causing a scene, but needed to alert the staff so that they could check the remaining pastries for other customers before they were served in case they also had insects in them. I called over a waitress, who took one look and screamed (not very discreet) and then headed off to find a supervisor, taking the plate with her (I did not think to take a photograph in time). I saw the waitress speak to her supervisor who then continued to go about his normal business for well over 5 minutes before eventually coming over to speak to us. He explained that he had been informed that we had encountered a problem with our food. I briefly explained but was interrupted by him, saying that the food is stored in sealed boxes and the insect must have flown in whilst the food was sat outside in front of us. I tried to explain that it was impossible to have happened as the pastry was upside down and had been all of the time. This staff member then interrupted me again and said it must have flown in and that this is a danger you face if you choose to sit outside! Clearly this chap hadn't excelled in customer service class and within a few minutes all of the relaxation from the massage had been undone and I was frustrated at his lack of ability to hold an adult conversation or even apologise on behalf of the company. I did not want anything for free and did not ask for it, I just wanted him to check the remaining pastries to be served to others for any insects that may have lost their way. He repeatedly said "Do you want anything? to which I did not, but eventually agreed for both of us to accept a glass of champagne 'on the house'. He could not have rushed the champagne out to us any quicker and when he placed it down he asked if "everything is okay?". When I replied "yes" it was as if the weight of the entire world had just been lifted from his shoulders and I had signed a waiver not to take legal action against Danesfield House. He replied quick as a flash "Good so everything's sorted then there's no more problems" and turned on his heels. Not wanting to completely undo the good work of the rest of the staff at Danesfield House, we voted with our feet, and made a hasty retreat. I'm very disappointed as we had a fantastic day, but unfortunately this was ruined by a minor incident dealt with wholly inappropriately by an unsympathetic, ignorant and rude member of staff. I personally would not return here again, but provided you have have no dealings with the ignoramus himself, you should have a great time!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ollie J
Dear Ollie J

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I was of course sorry to learn of the incident on the terrace.
All of our afternoon scones and cakes are made “in house” daily and so as my colleague’s reaction demonstrated we were as shocked as you were with what you found, but remain confident that the “offender” appeared whilst you were on the terrace.
My apologies that this incident marred an otherwise “Fantastic Day” and I hope would hope you would give us another opportunity following this one off occurrence.

Very best wishes

Anthony Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!