“A wonderful time”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Bath, United Kingdom
“A wonderful time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed in some lovely rooms overlooking the Thames. Perhaps in need of a revamp now. The shower leaked all over the floor due to a poorly placed and cheap shower curtain.
These were our only gripes though. We had a marvellous dinner in The Orangery. The service was friendly and helpful at all times. They do a fantastic breakfast.
The grounds are lovely to walk around and the spa is superb..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear MarkM,

We are delighted to read that you had a lovely stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding The Orangery which have been passed on to the staff who very much appreciate them.
Thank you for all your feedback, which we value and I can ensure that the appropriate corrective action will be taken.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Danesfield House and Spa for one night, before heading to the Hand and Flowers for food.

From the spectular setting, the magnificent grounds, the great room to the great staff, almost everything was perfect.

The room we stayed in had a beautiful view over the grounds, a wonderfully large, comfy bed and a great bathroom. Despite being an old building, the normal creaks and groans that can keep one awake were mercifully absent.

The only two downsides were the shower temperature (describing it as lukewarm would be be too kind) and the buffet breakfast, which, again, was lukewarm at best, with very little choice of items.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Matt K,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff here at Danesfield which I have passed on and were gratefully received.

I was extremely pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and have noted your feedback regarding the water temperature & breakfast, which we take very seriously.

We look forward to seeing you again.

County Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Fantastic hotel with amazing views over the river Thames. The SPA facilities are great. It has a big size swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. I enjoyed my massage. Staff were friendly, if a bit overworked and slow.

On the downside, we were put in a room with a view of the back of the hotel bar and next to an extractor fan which droned on through the night. In fairness, this was recognised at check out. The room therefore to avoid is Room 224 or any room at that side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 224 because of extractor fan noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear TatNiall

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us and I was delighted to read you had a fantastic time with our Spa and views a highlight.
My apologies for the disturbance caused by the extract fan, due to a faulty timer that we have now rectified and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Please do contact me directly should this be the case so I may make any arrangements personally.

Anthony Cox
Lancashire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend for a family wedding. The hotel and grounds are fabulous, and the staff were brilliant all round. I agree with previous comments about bar prices, they were very expensive, but the service was excellent.
It was very warm during our stay, but even with two fans, our room was really hot, affecting sleep quality. I would have expected air-conditioning as standard in a prestigious establishment like this.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Danesfield Hous... a, Guest Relations Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear stilchillin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay with us at Danesfield House Hotel & Spa. Your comments have been passed on to the staff that looked after you and they are delighted with your feedback.

With regards to air-conditioning, Danesfield House is a Grade 2 listed building and we are sometimes faced with these challenges. However, our refurbishment project is due for completion in September and all 16 rooms will be fully air-conditioned.

We do hope to see you again, please let me know when you next visit and I would be more than happy to look after you.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Came here for afternoon tea yesterday. We were greeted warmly and taken to our table which was in the oak room, a beautiful room. The waiters were extremely polite and friendly, we were made to feel very welcome. We ordered the danesfield afternoon tea. Sandwiches were delicious, lovely soft bread with a variety of fillings. The scones were light , served with clotted cream and jam. There was also a slate with a selection of 5 different small cakes, one of each type for each person, very generous. These were absolutely divine!
We finished our experience with a walk in the stunning grounds. The whole afternoon was perfect, I felt completely looked after and "away from it all"

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reality123
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor following your visit to Danesfield for Afternoon Tea and a walk in our grounds.
I was delighted to read the team looked after you completely and you felt “away from it all” and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield soon for another leisurely afternoon.

Anthony Cox
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Went there for tea. As I do not eat ham and I dislike eggs I asked for a cheese SANDWHICH. I know I should have given them 'notice' but the young waiter looked as if he never heard of such thing. At my third request the manageress came asking me what I wanted. I repeated the request I had made to the young lad. She "apologised" and said there had been a misunderstanding. It was anyway too late as I was eating cakes. The young waiter's understanding of English was minimal and his skills were not up to the standard of that establishment. The previous week I was with friends at Cliveden. (See My review) Danesfield in no way compare with Cliveden.

Room Tip: Did not stay and after tea experience would not stay
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank margherita p
Danesfield Hous... a, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear margherita p

Thank you for taking the time to post a review with trip advisor following your groups afternoon tea with us in the Henley Room last week. I would like to apologise once again for the confusion, with one of the sandwiches as part of the tea was cream cheese, so clearly a misunderstanding on our part.

Despite this I understand the group had a wonderful afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the house by Peter, our guest relations manager and resident historian!

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

A very special lunch to celebrate our daughter's eighteenth birthday. And she was expecting a great things, as you drive up to the house through the lovely gardens Danesfield House is very impressive. We had booked a table for lunch in the Orangery and, as it was a beautiful day we were offered a table on the terrace which would be laid for us. The table was dirty and needed a clean but this never happened, we asked for some water as we were thirsty and the water arrived but no glasses to drink from and I had to ask for them twice. The starters were good and as to the main course my husband's steak was over cooked, my crab linguine was very average and when we asked where the crab was from our waitress took rather along time to say she didn't know, though she did return with a rather poor answer that they were from Cornwall! We had ordered a second round of drinks by this time again we where kept waiting and I had to ask again for the drinks.
My daughter ordered a pudding which arrived her favorite Creme Brulle, which is how she rates all restaurants, unfortunately there was no cutlery to eat it with. When the cutlery was brought it was served from a dirty tray.
It was time to leave and the bill arrived which was wrong an extra glass of wine had been added and the bottle of water that we had to wait ages for had been left off, the bill was returned to us but it was still incorrect as they had charged us for a different wine.
These issues were raised with a supervisor and got the usual platitudes that it was unacceptable and wouldn't happen again.
It's not the our first visit to Danesfield but it could be our last.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!