“Lovely setting”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reading, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Great first impression, lovely gardens and an impressive house. Check-in was less impressive, rather chaotic and being told at end of process that room not yet ready was rather irritating (albeit we knew we were arriving ahead of official 3pm check-in time). We were there for a wedding so I went back after the ceremony to be told room was now ready and bags were already in room. They weren't.

Not a great start but things improved significantly. It is a stunning setting for a wedding, the sun was shining and sitting on the terrace with a glass of wine was very pleasant indeed. The staff were all helpful and attentive although it was noticeable that some were very smiley whilst others were quite cold. The wedding was lovely and the food very good. Drinks are not cheap!

Our room was very stylish, the bed was comfortable and if the bathroom fittings were a bit tired it didn't spoil the ambience. Breakfast the next day was perfectly ok. Before we left we decided to have a stroll around the gardens; as we were leaving reception we were asked if we wanted our car bringing up from the car park. When we explained we were going for a walk the man seemed genuinely irritated with us which was rather disconcerting. By contrast as we stepped onto the terrace a very pleasant man asked us if we were going for a walk and came out and told us the best route for the most scenic walk down to the Thames.

This summed up the hotel for us. A bit hit and miss. On balance we had a very pleasant stay but I could well imagine having a different experience and at those prices we'd tend towards a more consistent experience elsewhere.

Room Tip: Best rooms are at the rear with views of gardens and Thames
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Kim K

"A Lovely setting"
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor, following your stay with us recently. My apologies that your experience did not get off to the best of starts but I was pleased to read we redeemed ourselves during your visit, clearly consistency is a very important element that we will continue to focus on here at Danesfield House, and without feedback such as yours we cannot improve.
Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on another occasion.

Anthony Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I was staying away for work, and was booked into the Danesfield for one night. A beautiful hotel, with great food and service. Whilst my room was a little small, it retained the "staying in someone's house" feel that I appreciated. I had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed May 2014
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear NicknDee

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us on business, and despite it being a business trip I was pleased to learn that the “feel” that pervades the house made the trip a little more enjoyable.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon, and when you are next visiting please just drop me a line on acox@danesfieldhouse.co.uk so I may make the arrangements for you personally, we have some beautiful views from the bedrooms at the rear of the house.

Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Arriving at the hotel I was in awe of the beautiful building and grounds, check in was easy and we were helped with our bags up to the room.
Our room had the best position, central to the rear of the hotel, 2 floors up, overlooking the terrace, formal gardens and the Thames. Fabulous! I could look out that window all day! The bed was comfy and a fan was a very welcome addition. We were very happy with our room but the bathroom needs some attention. Lime scale remover would reveal some lovely brown marble tiles in the shower and behind the basin taps and a seat that matches the shape of the toilet would help!
After settling in we decided to have afternoon tea on the terrace. We sat at a table and a waiter came over a few minutes later and asked if we had a reservation but his tone implied that perhaps we shouldn't have been there. My husband said no, that we didn't and was it necessary to have one as he made us feel unwelcome. He said no but he wanted to check. We asked him for menus but he didn't return so we asked another waiter who did bring some, however no one came to take our order. We stopped another waiter and ordered (plenty of staff around, just not attentive) Our afternoon tea arrived and looked lovely but the waiter made no effort to reposition the tea cups, plates and cutlery from the other end of the table to where we were sitting under the umbrella. The afternoon was indeed very good despite the waiting staff.
The next morning at breakfast we ordered cooked food which seemed to take an age then a senior staff member came to our table to inform us that our breakfast wouldn't be much longer, we assumed we had been forgotten. When it arrived it was again very good.
We thought the hotel, front of house staff and food were very good, however the waiting staff need to pull their socks up and attend to guests more befitting to the surroundings. Oh yes and housekeeping needs to invest in some lime scale remover!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kiwi-Girlie

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and sharing your thoughts following you recent visit.
I was delighted to read that the hotel, front of house and food rated highly, but my apologies that in some instances we failed to deliver the requisite level of service that we aim for and that as a team we will focus upon following your feedback.
I do share your thoughts about our fabulous views, that we have the privilege of enjoying day in and day out and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield House on another occasion.

Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my partner and her two friends for their get-together in March this year. Why so long for the review?

Well the answer to that lies in the customer service (or lack of) on the part of the company.

Firstly, the building itself and grounds seemed a stunning setting for a girlie-get-together depsite the premium price tag - but that's why I was treating my partner.

The bug bears started on check-in as despite being pre-paid in advance on a valid credit card complete with an agreement to charge extras to the card, they still insisted on taking an imprint of my partner's credit card.

Their room had no cold water! Something I have never experienced in any hotel anywhere. So a scalding shower was the order of the day. No attempt to relocate to another room was offered. When they sat in the lounge it was 30 minutes before they decided to go and find a member of staff to bring them some coffee. The comments from the girls revolved around the shabbiness of some of the interior, particularly the spa areas and the room.

My partner asked me to email the customer service team to get some response but nothing in three months.

I would like to think that when you book a hotel that defines itself as a luxurious spa resort, that is what you are getting. Would I book this hotel again, no. I would choose the Compleat Angler and pay the extra for two rooms or stay at the local Crowne Plaza to get value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank vaughanie_69
Dear vaughanie_69
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your partners stay with us in March. I will be in touch with you personally as I am afraid we have no record of your email. As a small independent property all feedback is acknowledged by me or a senior manager within the business, as I hope we demonstrate here on Trip Advisor.
In terms of the pre-payment issue you have raised, sadly due to an increase in fraudulent card activity, at a considerable loss to our business and to protect our guests we have taken steps to accept payments above a certain value with the card holder present confirming with pin entry only. We do facilitate alternative methods of payment through bank transfer for larger amounts to allow for instances of prepayment for guests.
I was also disappointed to learn of the experience with the hot water system, and would like to assure you that remedial action would have taken place to resolve this issue. It is likely that a valve had failed on this occasion and had that been the case, alternatives would have been offered until a repair had been made.
It is with regret that your post is the first I have learned of your partners experience and I look forward to speaking to you at the earliest opportunity.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Went for an afternoon tea with some friends for a catchup. The house and gardens are amazing, so when being seated for tea I was in absolute heaven. The staff members who served us were very good and one waitress was extremely welcoming and helpful throughout. The tea, cakes and everything was wonderful and thoroughly enjoyed the occassion. If I were to be picky then I would say a smile from some staff would not go a miss, an offer to poor the tea for us and an offer for a top up would have also been nice, little touches I believe which would make the service even better. Overall it was a wonderful occasion and would definitely return and hope to stay for a night next time to.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear James D

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit for a “heavenly” afternoon tea. The team will be delighted to read your comments, both the superlatives and the areas where we can focus on even more.
Noting your desire to stay a little longer next time, when you have some dates in mind please contact me directly so I may make the arrangements for you personally.
Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts.

Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked a table for lunch Saturday 5th july for 6--- the food was very good as was the service.
The 3 course set menu was top class and those who chose the a la carte were not disappointed.
We ate in the orangerie and although there was a wedding in the hotel the service and enjoyment of the very fine location was not diminished. On the drive home we thought that if the hotel would have been within a 30 minute drive we would have been a regular visitor as it was excellent value for money

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear FrankHarris13

Thank you very much for posting a review following your “Top Class” lunch with us last weekend.
The team will be thrilled to read your comments, and whilst we are a little way up the road from you I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on another occasion.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Danesfield House is the most fabulous building with some great furniture, lovely helpful staff, in gorgeous grounds set in a beautiful and peaceful location with a good new spa. So why only three stars?

This is our third stay in this hotel and our second stay in this particular room possibly three years apart and I am convinced they haven't done any housekeeping since!
Our room which was nice, was extremely tired and needed a good clean, we had a canopied bed with headboard - the canopy was full of cobwebs and the corduroy headboard quite badly marked from usage, the mattress was long overdue for replacement. The beautiful windows which we were lucky enough to be able to have open, were covered in cobwebs too. The lovely thick old curtains needed a good vacuum as every time you pulled them clouds of dust filled the room. The sofa was in dire need of more filling, and across the whole of the hotel there were things that could have been cleaned, or paint that could have been touched up, and as a result the whole thing looked very sad indeed. The last time we stayed there I wrote a letter to the general manager complaining about the standard of the housekeeping and had rather hoped it would be better this time.
My second grievance was with regard to the Michelin star that they advertise as having - one of the main reasons for returning to Danesfield House was because despite it's tiredness, it had the most amazing restaurant, but apparently the chef left eighteen months ago taking his star with him. We were extremely disappointed with the food for dinner, it was a good menu, our fish not cooked too well and some poor quality meats, six of us ate at the restaurant for three different nights and not one of us thought we had had a good meal, although we did like 'bits' of it. Each Night they ran out of our choices of Champagne and wine.

We did eat in the bar for one evening and the food was great there!

Having said all of that, the waiters were extremely attentive and lovely, looking after us very well and going the extra mile for us. They were a good team but they needed better management, one young man in particular was great. Breakfast was good, but in the daylight you could see how badly the Orangery needed cleaning (look behind the waiter's buffet by the doors that lead to the terrace, everyone who walks in and out of that door will see how bad the cleaning is)!

When we came to settle our considerable account, we found that 'they' had added our guests' already paid wine and Spa bills, and even with the production of receipts that were all packed away, there wasn't any humility for the attempt to overcharge by quite a lot, and one of our guests was acutely embarrassed because she thought the receptionist still didn't believe she had paid! Not good Danesfield!

One of the doormen was an absolute treasure and the other was very rude and surly towards us and others. We will need to be convinced of some changes before we ever stay there again, how sad because it could be so good. You can't blame the cleaners as people need to be taught how to clean, and how to see dirt and dust, I suspect it is a change of management that is needed.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any newly renovated rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AEW22
Dear AEW22
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us, and I will be in touch personally.
I was, however, disappointed to read your comments in respect of housekeeping. The new team have worked very hard over the past six months, and ironically the headboard and canopy had been scheduled to be replaced this week.
Due to the scheduling of some guides, and despite advising them ahead of Adams departure last year after almost seven years, there will inherently be some cross over in “collateral” that is beyond our control, until the next round of publication.

Anthony Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!