“THE ultimate hotel & spa!! Ooozes quality!! ”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

From the moment we took the left turn up the steep driveway & approached the stunning & impressive building set amongst immaculately groomed grounds & gardens, we felt an enormous sense of über luxury & quality & exhaled in delight! Our welcome to the Hotel was from Vanessa, whom has to be one of THE most friendliest & professional front-of-house Staff we have ever encountered! Vanessa was refreshingly bubbly, welcoming & helpful; all of which immediately made us feel most valued & very special indeed! Really, nothing was too much trouble for her & she really does deserve recognition & commendation for the exceptional level of service she extended to my Mother & I. We were allocated the "Hurley" room which is/was absolutely stunning, having amazing & spectacular views across the manicured & topiaried grounds towards the river Thames & the traditional decor felt very opulent & indulgent! Part of our package included a bottle of champagne upon our arrival, which was most welcomingly, chilling upon ice for us, along with a very unexpected chocolate birthday cake & card for my Mother, (I had informed the Hotel we were visiting to celebrate my Mother's birthday) & this really was a most generous & lovely surprise! We enjoyed our champagne out upon the terrace, immediately outside our room, which was private & relaxing as we soaked up the sunshine & the panoramic views! Pure bliss! Later we enjoyed the use of the spa & pool, taking a late afternoon swim & drying off upon the loungers scattered about the lawn as we read the Sunday newspapers! This hotel & spa is immaculate throughout & every little bit of attention to detail has been executed superbly! The Staff within the spa were equally as professional & as friendly as Vanessa & again there's a real sense that the Customers/Guests really do matter & are of great importance which is a sentiment all too often forgotten by Hoteliers! Dinner in the restaurant was as delicious as much as a work of art; the presentation was stunning & absolutely exquisite! The scallops were amazing, the duck breast just incredible & the pressed banana tart with toffee sauce & vanilla ice cream was simply show-stopping!! The service throughout was attentive & efficient & Sarina was particularly noticeable as her smiley disposition & helpful & professional service really did enhance our dining experience & evening; once again, as with Vanessa, Sarina deserves recognition & commendation as she truly is exemplary! Our 7am, pre-breakfast swim was super enjoyable as we had the entire pool to ourselves; joking that we felt like Ladies of the manor! Breakfast was yet another fantastic treat; exceptionally welcoming Staff, whom were attentive & friendly, along with an array of fruits, pastries, cereals, cheeses, meats & the traditional English breakfast fare, which we took upon the terrace, once again enjoying the spectacular views & most idyllic ambience! This has been THE MOST relaxing & rejuvenating one night spa/hotel break which I've ever experienced & I really can not recommend highly enough!

Stayed: August 2014
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Navillusoear
Wow, what a fabulous review! Thank you for taking the time to share your very in depth thoughts. I know Vanessa and Sarina, were so proud to have recieved this feedback, it is greatly appreciated by this hotelier that you have recognised them in such a way.
All that remains for me to say is please do contact me directly when you have some dates in mind for a future “relaxing and rejuvenating” spa break so I can reserve the Hurley room for you and make all of your arrangements personally.
Hopefully see you again soon.

acox@danesfieldhouse.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night in August 2014. First impressions of the hotel were great - lovely building and beautiful grounds. We were upgraded which was a nice surprise and the room really didn't disappoint - stunning views, four poster bed and enormous seating area. Lovely room amenities and nice bathroom.

We booked to eat in the restaurant which was a lovely setting however we were disappointed with the extremely slow service - we waited a long time for our starters even though they were both cold dishes...wine list was less than forthcoming and the liqueur coffees at the end caused quite some confusion... All in all the food was nice but service frustrating.

Breakfast however was a real disappointment. Having stayed in many hotels of similar type, I was looking forward to a quality cooked breakfast. What we received was an almost cold and over cooked buffet selection - far from what you would expect.

Would definitely recommend the hotel and will stay again, however will not return to the restaurant and may also skip breakfast.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LittleMilli

Dear LittleMilli
Thank you for taking the time to post your very balanced review and I was delighted to read that on the whole you had a great time here at Danesfield House.
Certainly some areas for us to work upon though, as a team we welcome feedback so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
We look forward to welcoming you back again, so when you have some dates in mind please do contact me directly so I may offer our best available rate and make all of the arrangements for you personally.

Very best wishes.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This property has a very interesting history in it's role in supplying photographic intelligence during wartime. The 65-acre grounds overlooking the Thames river valley are manicured and the setting is very quiet. To get a view of the river itself, you will want to take a stroll past the gardens located just beyond the dining terrace, but you can't physically get to the river's edge from there. The location is a bit awkward if you don't have a car since walking into Marlow is not a safe option due to traffic. Peter (guest relations manager) provided exceptional service during our stay and was very responsive. The food was great (particularly breakfast), but the summer dining room staff would benefit from a stronger leadership presence. They were very friendly when you are able to get their attention however. This is a super little property ideal for those who want to relax in what feels like a private residential estate, but I picked it because it was easy walking distance to the SAS offices next door. Check out the spa while you are there too if you have the time.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms get hot in the summer months (no air-conditioning), but the room we were in was equi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Trevorsh
“Charming retreat in the Countryside”
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us in July. We were delighted to read your comments and thank you for the personal mention for Peter, he certainly works very hard to deliver exceptional service and works with the team to do so.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Danesfield House when you are next on business in the area.
Very best wishes.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I cannot recommend this hotel & spa facility enough, it has an absolutely gorgeous setting, you truly feel immediately relaxed as soon as you come up the winding tree lined entrance. The views from the terrace down over the gardens and to the Thames are wonderful and having breakfast and dinner out on the terrace or in The Orangery Restaurant is a special experience (food is lovely too!).
The staff were just super for our entire trip, so friendly and welcoming and happy to help at all points. I've seen a few reviews commenting on the poor service given that there was a wedding being held there during their stay, there were weddings (maybe 3) during our stay, and we saw no dip in service at all, the weddings themselves were well away from our room and so we were not disturbed at all by any noise & you couldn't really tell that there was a wedding taking place at all.
Spa facilites were super and the golf course next door, Harleyford Golf Course, is well worth a visit too.
The reason for my title "5 stars for the price.." is that it is a little tired in places, especially the bedrooms however if the bedrooms had been refurbed with all these facilities and the setting, I would not have been able to afford to stay here!
Do go to this hotel it is an absolute gem, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Emily S
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us at Danesfield House last weekend.
The team were delighted to read your comments and we were particularly pleased the weather played its part to allow you to enjoy some serious time on our terrace.
Harleyford Golf Course is very convenient to reach from Danesfield and I will pass on your comments to our “neighbours” who I know will also welcome your feedback.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would be delighted to make any arrangements for a future stay personally.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My partner and I, who is an ex South Afican tennis No 1 discovered Danesfield House a decade ago, whilst staying during Wimbledon, with a friend who was then a resident in the area.. One glimpse of the unique marble turrets adorned with real the snow white doves and the hotel's fabulous location on Sir Redgrave's rowing route along the Thames, surrounded by landmark trees and lavender gardens and we were as hooked as fresh trout from the nearby shallows. I have returned several times over the years to film my international television series "a Player's Kingdom" and to simply imbibe the beauty, tranquility. and pastoral views There has been a new addition on every occasion: first a fabulous spa( the first Zumba class I participated in ), then the Japanese gardens and still to come - brand new tennis courts. This is the quintessential English Country House in sought after surrounds and the consummate "Queen Of The Thames" is fortunate to have a visionary new manager, Anthony Cox at the helm. Small wonder all the Henley Arts Festival Luminaries strive to stay here....We shall be back in the Fall...

Room Tip: Rooms on the River Side have the most sweeping views, however given the surround gardens, every room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank deborah s
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Deb

“Queen of the Thames!
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us post Wimbledon. It was a pleasure to meet you both at breakfast on your last day with us and I really enjoyed our chat and learning more about your previous visits to Danesfield,
I look forward to welcoming you back in the autumn.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have, since my father died, traditionally taken my now 92 year-old mother somewhere "nice" to celebrate her birthday each year. The Danesfield can certainly be described as "nice" and, although we are certainly not paupers, provided a valuable insight as to "how the other half live". the hotel is stunningly beautiful and set in around sixty acres of well-kept grounds, with a breathtaking view over the Thames between Marlow and Henley. Having arrived earlier than check-in time, we were advised that we would be accommodated as quickly as possible, but that a large number of wedding guests were checking out - fair enough. Sent wife and mother out onto the terrace to order lunch while I parked the car. Terrace accessed via an attractive orangerie - rather too many wasps buzzing around for one's liking. Lunch menu varied but prices, how shall we put it, towards the higher end. I cannot really see how they can justify charging six pounds for a 300ml bottle of London Pride, whatever their overheads may amount to. With sandwiches knocking out at around seven or eight pounds a time, be warned that this is not a place for bargain-seekers. Consequently travelled into Henley and had lunch there before returning around half three. Very pleasant and attentive staff member (Peter) showed great fortitude and strength in carrying our suitcases single-handed up to our rooms. Wife and I had a room on the first floor (216) large and extremely luxurious - could not fault any part of it, save for the curdled bottle of milk in the mini-bar, which was speedily replaced by an apologetic member of staff. Mother was accommodated in a room with disabled facilities (309), including a wet room as she cannot manage a bath these days. She was presented with a complimentary birthday cake on arrival, which was a pleasant and unexpected touch on the hotel's behalf. She spent the stay very concerned however, quite justifiably, about the slippery nature of the floor, with the shower sending powerful jets of water all over the room, which was then slow to drain. In addition, her small wash basin was not fitted with a plug, which for her made washing difficult. We had elected to opt for the Oak Room dining experience on the third night as part of our package and elected on the first evening to eat just a couple of miles up the road in Marlow (five minute drive at best). I requested a taxi at reception and was staggered to be informed that it would be £14 each way (£22 each way to Henley). I found this to be unjustifiable and was able to find out the number of a local firm who, it must be said, were not that much cheaper. Maybe I need to get up to date a bit more. Nice drink in The Ship pub followed by a pleasant meal in Cote Brasserie. followed by another fifteen quid rip-off in taxi fares back to the hotel. The night was stiflingly hot, which is not the hotel's fault, but in the absence of any air-con in the room we were obliged to have the fan on, which in no way cooled things down and instead kept us awake all night on account of the noise it was making. Not a great experience. First day's breakfast was served in the orangerie - good if not outstanding selection of buffet-style hot and cold food, bacon overcooked. Visited the spa as wife had a massage booked. First class experience for her part while I enjoyed the facilities of the pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna etc. Facilities excellent, but heaven only knows what their laundry bill must amount to! Second day's breakfast out on the terrace on yet another boling hot day. Staff wonderfully attentive - at one stage we had more staff than wasps buzzing around us, positioning umbrellas to keep us out of the sun and ensuring a memorable breakfast, which went on for nearly an hour and a half in relaxed mode. A pleasant river trip from Henley and then back for mother and wife to enjoy afternoon and cream tea respectively out on the beautiful terrace by the spa. To be fair we hadn't pre-booked but some delay occurred - young staff member extremely apologetic and attentive. Tea beautifully presented - fifteen pounds for a pot of tea and two scones with clotted cream and jam approaching excessive, while twenty-five pounds for the above accompanied by a variety of cakes and fresh if slightly bland sandwiches somewhat less so. Dinner on the third night was again memorable - we were given the option of eating in or al fresco - with the night once again very hot, we opted for the latter. The birthday girl was presented with a drink on the house, which was yet another nice touch and the meal and service were both first class, with a varied menu - the bisque with brandy and the baked brill were especially pleasant. All in all a nice climax to the stay, and almost worth the eighty pounds a head outlay. Checkout efficient on the last morning and overall an experience which was worth undergoing, in view of the special occasion.

Room Tip: If travelling in a heat wave, try to get one out of the direct rays of the sun!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Duc161

Dear Duc161

Thank you for taking the time share your thoughts and indeed your very insightful feedback following your three night stay with us to celebrate a memorable 92nd Birthday here at Danesfield House.
We were certainly lucky to have the most glorious weather during your visit and I was pleased to read you enjoyed dining on the terrace at both the spa and the main house on several occasions.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield next years celebrations, and please do contact me directly as I would be delighted to make all of the arrangements for you personally.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Giving a three rating for the location but it's a generous one really! We visited as part of a wedding party and unfortunately were rather disappointed with some elements of our stay, although we very much enjoyed the wedding itself. We had a discount due to being with the wedding, a rather meagre discount at that but we are used to staying in high quality hotels and so we were unworried by this and looking forward to our stay.

On arrival we were reminded what a beautiful location this hotel is situated in, the views of the river and surrounding countryside are beautiful and I think this is most likely what this hotel trades off. We were greeted by a friendly member of staff who took us through to where the reception was being held and we enjoyed a refreshing glass of champagne whilst taking in the lovely views. The canapés were served but upon asking the waiter what they were he seemed unable to tell us so it was rather a guessing game – luckily we are not fussy and had only asked out of interest! The liver pate (possible foie gras?) canapé was enjoyed but the others were somewhat difficult to distinguish. On being seated for the meal and looking on the menu it all sounded very nice. It is always difficult to cater for events of this type – serving a large group in a short time period – but the food was mostly good. The starter of salmon was generous, if a bit under-seasoned, and the main of duck was particularly tasty. The dessert – Eton Mess – was nice although some chunks of fresh strawberries would have been good.

The main issue that we had was once we checked into our room following the wedding breakfast, we wanted to freshen up prior to the evening reception. The check in process was friendly and efficient and the porter offered to take our bags, as we were only staying one night we only had a small case so said no but the porter insisted so it felt churlish to refuse. However on reaching the room my partner asked me if I had any change as he didn’t and as at this point we had not had to pay for any drinks I also only had notes. Rather than graciously accepting our apology for the lack of tip, the porter did rather a loud huffy sigh and said “I’m here until 10.30pm”, which rather surprised us and we felt was quite rude.

The room itself, which was rather like walking into a sauna, was a very small bedroom area but with an extra “landing” area just inside the door. The bathroom was also on the smaller side and also had a very visible patch of peeling paint on the ceiling. I think for the prices charged I would expect a larger room (and one where you could see the TV from the bed) but it would have been just about acceptable had everything else been okay. However despite opening the window and having the (small) fan on the room was unbearably hot. I understand that it was a very hot day, and that perhaps due to the age/design of the building air conditioning may not be possible, however the staff should ensure that on days like this the windows are opened, the curtains are closed and that perhaps more/bigger fans were put in the rooms. We had come back to the room to freshen up but ended up feeling more hot and sticky! After a discussion we decided that we just couldn’t stay in a room so hot as we would not be able to sleep and so we decided that we would get a taxi home if necessary.

We returned to reception to inform them of this and the receptionist checked with a colleague who offered to show us a deluxe room that was available for no extra charge. We viewed the room and it was a much better temperature so decided to stay. However it was disappointing that if this room was available they didn’t provide this as the first choice given they must know how hot the other room was and whilst it was a more expensive room would have provided better customer service at no increased cost to them (if the room hadn’t been booked when we checked in around 6pm then I think it was unlikely to be booked that evening). Also whilst the situation was rectified at no point was an apology offered, which also wasn’t great service. Incidentally we propped open the door to our first bedroom whilst in it to try to circulate some air, it was still open as we walked passed it to bed that evening around midnight and we could still feel the heat coming out as we went passed then!

The new room was a decent size, although the bathroom was tiny (smaller I think than the original room) and was at least a pleasant temperature with a lovely view. I did notice though that on the roof below the window there were a number of cigarette butts, which doesn’t say much for the upkeep and presentation of the hotel! Also the shower was ridiculously impractical – the fixed head was far too low, at 5’8” it was at least four inches too low for me to stand under let alone anyone taller! Also it was very hard to get the temperature right too, even turning the hot tap on a little made the water very hot.

Breakfast was also a somewhat shoddy in terms of service but the food itself was good. We turned up and were shown to a table and were given an explanation of the food so went to pick from the buffet. There was a good selection of cold food but on looking in the dishes the scrambled eggs had completely run out so we asked for some more, luckily it wasn’t too long a wait before they were replenished. It would have been nice to have some baked beans too. The condiments were also running very low – perhaps it would be better to have these on each table. On returning to our table we discovered that another party were there, I think as no-one had been there to greet them on their arrival so they sat at the only table that was left, this meant that we ended up sharing our breakfast with strangers. The staff did then open another section dining area to accommodate extra guests. As a table we were asked three times if we wanted tea or coffee, and only after confirming for the third did it arrive. We also asked for some toast on sitting down with our breakfast but had completely finished everything else by the time it arrived so decided to leave it. The food we had was very nice though – big juicy sausages, nice bacon and some tasty scrambled eggs – and the juice was also good (although the glasses were very stingy in size!).

Overall the location itself is lovely and whilst some may find the décor a little dated, it was in keeping with the type of hotel, however the service was just not up to scratch for the prices being charged. We have no issue paying for quality but Danesfield is not as nearly as good as it thinks it is! Staff training is definitely required even for some of the basics and this hotel does not exemplify excellence in customer service!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alliei80

Dear alliei80

Thank you for taking the time to post a very detailed review and clearly some areas to work upon, that I will address with the team.
That said I have to say your comment regarding the porter is highly unusual and not something that we would recognise as happening amongst our concierge team here at Danesfield.
I was pleased to read that the front of house team arranged a room move for you, with the hotel being full I understand an late cancelation faciltated this and I would hope highlights that the team reacted in a positive way to your feedback demonstrating good customer service to ensure a more comfortable stay.

Anthony Cox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#5 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!