“Very Expensive”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I visited this hotel on a deal, I would not wanted to have paid full inflated price. Yes the location is beautiful but must have a car as you cannot walk anywhere. I have never paid so much for two cups of tea £11. Needless to say we did not eat in the restaurant. The breakfast was terrible, it was cold, not much variety, strange set up, never been to a hotel where there are no beans, you have to order a fried egg which came up on a plate, delivered by a waitress that didn't know how to get it off her plate onto mine. I asked if they could find out what I could eat as I have an allergy and the answer was, the chef has gone out for a smoke break therefore we can not say for sure! Needless to say didn't have much to eat! Staff just not interested, wont be returning!

Room Tip: We did have a lovely view from our room, 210 (Victoria) on the upside
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Elaine M
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Elaine M
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor, and whilst I was pleased to learn you enjoyed the stunning views, I am sorry the breakfast was not as proficient as it should have been, We tend to serve a buffet style breakfast at the weekends, but still prefer to cook eggs freshly to order for guests, and clearly this wasn’t communicated. As for our teams break arrangements I will have to look into your comments further, however clearly these should never be a concern for our guests.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Lovely hotel but in need of an update to carry on charging what it does. Room was good but not amazing and both stays there were broken items in the rooms not good at £305 per night! Food is lovely staff try hard but it's expensive and not as good as the competition.

Room Tip: If you like the chintz go for a river/garden view.
3  Thank Jan8856
Anthony C, Front Office Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Jan8856,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, all feedback is extremely useful in gauging our customers opinions and satisfaction so that we have the opportunity to improve ourselves. We are currently undergoing a large refurbishment of the hotel and once this is completed we would be delighted to have you back to experience this. Should you be planning to return to Danesfield in the future please contact me directly at coconnell@danesfieldhouse.co.uk so that I may arrange a newly refurbished room for you and so that we can prove to you that we do take customer feedback very seriously.
Best Wishes
Charlotte O'Connell

Reviewed 20 August 2014

One night stay at danesfield used the spa facilites which are lovely, fantastic grounds and views overlooking the river. We got a deal for evening meal and breakfast...the evening meal was fantastic, bar staff really friendly make great cocktails!! Room overlooked the river and gardens massive bed nice soft bedding, hotel is beautiful will be staying again!!!! Well done the staff at danesfield keep up the good work!!

Room Tip: Secret escapes gave us a brilliant deal evening meal bed and breakfast full spa £209......it was wel...
3  Thank Lindsey S

Dear Lindsey S,
Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I'm glad you had the opportunity to enjoy one of our fabulous cocktails! Should you be back in the area at any point, do contact me directly at coconnell@danesfieldhouse.co.uk as we would love to have you back at Danesfield.
Best Wishes
Charlotte O'Connell

Reviewed 20 August 2014

First impressions were lovely and everything you would expect from a grand hotel and spa. On arrival we were taken from the hotels front desk to the afternoon tea dining area by a very nice young lady.

Unfortunately this is where the pleasantries stopped. I am going to put my issues with the service we received in bullet point order, so it is precise and to the point so I don’t lose the point in a sea of words:

• There was absolutely no welcome from the staff who looked after the Afternoon Tea section, we were taken over to our table, sat down and handed menus. No friendly conversation at all!
• Usually afternoon tea is served in three stages, to prolong the enjoyable experience and keep everything fresh. Yours came out in 5 minutes and all at once.
• We were offered no water and had to ask. We weren’t approached at any time during our seating to be asked if we wanted anything else and how the food was. My partner would have ordered a glass of champagne on top of the tea. Unfortunately due to the above, we didn’t want to waste any more money with Danesfield House.
• The food was of good quality, apart from the Macaroon which was very doughy.
• We were given no spoons with the clotted cream and jam, so had to use a knife.
• At the end when we wanted to leave, there were no staff members around, so in the end I had to get up and find one myself. She then brought over the card machine which was very sticky and dirty and to our surprise there was a 12.5% gratuity already added! I am not one to complain about paying extra for good service but this service was not received, and was an absolute cheek to add on as it was expected.

All of this added up to a very poor experience at Danesfield house. This was a massive disappointment as we were looking forward to a relaxing time. In the end we left £56.25 poorer and had only spent 70 minutes in your hotel.

12  Thank 1989AdamLee

Dear 1989AdamLee,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor and your feedback directly via email. I will be in touch directly I was pleased to read that you feklt the food was of good quality but my sincere apologies the experience was not as you had hoped.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I have stayed here a few times, mostly in the nineties, along with the Henley Festival. The last time was 6 years ago. I always found it a top quality hotel. How times have changed. I booked this for a Saturday night wedding anniversary stay. I don't think the premium room we had has been decorated for about 10 years. No satellite tv, no cable tv. A strange arrangement for the kettle and tea tray. You have to plug it in to a builders extension cable (supplied). The restaurant experience was amateurish. Escorted to an internal table when specifically asked for the orangery. The pre-ordered wine turned up half way through the starter, after a reminder from me. The hot starter was cold, sent it back. The 'medium' sirloin steak was half medium and half raw. How can that happen? There is better cooked food to be had at a Beefeater. There must have been some management and chef changes, as there is no longer a Michelin star restaurant. All this, cost me £421.00 dinner, bed and breakfast for 1 night. I will not be going back to Danesfield. A shame, as it was really good, once.

Room Tip: Get a recently refurbed one.
6  Thank Michael B

Dear Michael B,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip advisor and firstly let me apologise for the difficulties you experienced during your stay with us and I am disappointed that you felt you could not relay this information back to the Duty Manager prior to your departure.
Tea and Coffee service to bedrooms was provided on request by tray service in the past but due to overwhelming feedback from many of guests we took the decision to provide in room facilities last year and the original bedroom design and increase requirements for power points for guests have made this difficult however and once our current works to 16 bedrooms and suites are complete we will be working through the remaining rooms to address this. Whilst we are making this improvement we have supplied extension cables to make this easier for our guests, and I am sorry that you did not feel that this was acceptable but taken overall the positive comments outweigh negatives.
In relation to the service in the restaurant and the standard of food that we served, I can only apologise that we failed to reach your expectations.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield House in the future so that we can prove to you that we take all customer feedback extremely seriously and we act upon everything that we receive. Should you be looking to return to the area please contact me directly at coconnell@danesfieldhouse.co.uk perhaps in one of our newly refurbished bedrooms.
Best wishes,
Charlotte O’Connell

Reviewed 11 August 2014

From arriving at this hotel to leaving I could not fault anything (apart from the menu options). We were escorted to our room by a lovely member of staff. My fiance had a massage and stated that it was one of the best he had had. We did not dine on the first night but a some wine and talked to the wonderful Giovanni who kept us entertained in a very professional manner. Breakfast was simple but well cooked. If we rquested something it was done promptly and this made our weekend stay very enjoyable. Our room was warm on arrival but the weather had been very warm, we were lucky though that we had a balcony where we sat and looked at the wonderful views around us.

The next day we were our clay pigeon shooting which was very near, we returned and then enjoyed the spa once again - we had dinner that night and the orangery was very busy but it was great atmosphere, the food could do with a little more treaking but it was still good.

Room servies was impecable and if you asked for somthing at a specific time it was there.

We left our weekend stay feeling very relaxed and really wanted to stay for another two nights

We saw other guests having a few hiccups i.e one of conceige had misplaced a guests car keys but it was dealt with promptly.

I hope our next stay will be as good as it is not offten that we leave really wanting to go back to the same place

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony it is really worth it also your room will be more airy
1  Thank pipstop007
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear pipstop007

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor, and your direct note received earlier this week.
It’s always special to receive feedback from those in the trade, Giovani is certainly a master craftsman, and our cocktail bar is in very good hands!
I look forward to hearing from you soon, when you next have some dates in mind to stay again.

Very best wishes.

Anthony

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My boyfriend and i stayed for 2 nights in this truly magnificent hotel, from the minute we arrived to the minute we left we couldn't fault a thing, every staff member couldn't of been more friendly and welcoming. The grounds were stunning and we were lucky enough to have beautiful weather so could enjoy the blissful views of the thames and surrounding countryside. I have to say the best part of our stay was most definitely the food! wow! we were worried after the first evening meal that the second wouldn't be able to compete but both were incredible! and our waitress on our first night was so lovely and friendly she really made us feel comfortable (i think her name was emily as thats the name that was on our receipt). The spa was also lovely and peaceful which really allowed us to relax. I hope we will be back soon!

2  Thank katy127

Dear katy127
“Absoloutley Flawless”
Wow, what a wonderful review, and thank you for the personal mention for Emily, who recently joined us at Danesfield.
So pleased to read to highlight was the food, and when you have some dates in mind for that next visit please contact me directly at acox@danesfieldhouse.co.uk
Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts.

Anthony
Anthony Cox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!