“Beautiful countryside accommodations”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful countryside accommodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is my third stay at Danesfield House. It is located about 20 minutes from Heathrow and offers a lovely country environment with close accessibility to Marlow - A quaint English village.

We stayed in a junior suite, which was lovely. Consider, however, that this is an old property. It offers old English charm. The great room, library and pool are gorgeous. Our hotel service was excellent. They accommodated every request, provided great recommendations, and were always helpful. I was very thankful for the attention they provided us.

The hotel restaurant is good, but not excellent, and doesnt support the high cost. The hotel service was very slow. If you really want to experience a lovely lunch/dinner, ensure you book reservations and the Hand and Flower in Marlow. It is a Michelin starred surprise. Absolutely delicious....but book reservations ar in advance unless you want to take a chance with the four seats at the bar that may be available.

I am most disappointed by the disrepair of the grounds. Danesfield House sits on acres of gorgeous countryside with many ponds, man-made streams, sitting areas. However, most of the streams have dried up and are not working, the sitting areas are filled with broken furniture, the garden needs to be tended to removing some serious weeds. What used to be a gorgeous walk is now a bit depressing knowing its previous grandeur. I was left with the impression that Danesfield House didnt have enough funding to properly take care of the grounds.

Please, Danesfield House, address the grounds as they used to be so beautiful and provided a great atmosphere for long walks and relaxation.

Due to the restaurant customer service and grounds disrepair, I would not be willing to pay what can be very high room rates. If Danesfield House is going to allow their property to suffer, they cannot expect visitors to pay such high rates. I loved this property a couple of years ago at my first stay. Please bring it back to its glory days!

Room Tip: Ask for the Junior Suite on the second floor. It is very large and has a lovely patio overlooking th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim P
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Kim P

Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor and I was pleased to read on the most part you enjoyed your stay.
In respect of your feedback regarding the grounds the ponds and streams were dry due to them being dry rendered and re-lined to bring them back to their best. This is a large project and sadly the late English Summer has hampered our progress. We will be working on pathways and surrounds through the winter period at quieter time for grounds but we had hoped the scheduling of the pond and waterfall works with the good weather we had at the start of the summer would allow us to complete the project in a timely manner, sadly this has not been the case. To my knowledge we removed some of the furniture that was past its best during this process, but will of course review this.
In respect of weeds the gardening team do work hard to maintain the formal areas of the grounds, we have however allowed some of our more wooded and grassland areas to be a little less manicured to encourage wildlife and provide a more natural look.
I will be in touch directly were I hope to be able arrange a future visit next summer when the grounds and particularly the streams and fountains will be at their absolute best.

Anthony
Anthony Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Our Daughter was married here recently and the setting was fantastic. The staff were attentive and the setting up of the Versailles room for the various stages of the wedding day were excellent - a well practiced operation!
I would like to pass on one negative comment about our room though. It was very luxurious but not very practical ie a shortage of sockets - one on the floor under a desk (not very convenient) and one other to be shared with kettle, cooling fan, ipod charger, laptop and camera charging. Also there was no bedside light switch - so one had to get out of bed to turn off the lights - a small thing but annoying. We stayed two nights and the staff who serviced the room took away the soaps and face cloths and did not replace them. we had to ring down for replacements.
Hopefully this was a minor slip in an otherwise excellent hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Anthony C, Front Office Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Anthony S,
Thank you so much for your kind words, I am so glad we made a memorable occasion for your daughter’s wedding. Our wedding team is very dedicated to creating the best possible day for friends and family on such an important day.
In respect of your comments regarding your bedroom we are in the process of putting extension leads in all the rooms and relocating sockets to make the rooms more easily accessible.
Thank you once again for your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Danesfield House in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to give this place a glorious review but unfortunately it spoiled my key objective which was getting out of London to enjoy a 'serene' experience and 'feed the body and soul'! When you are booking into 4 and 5 star hotels you expect quality standards if not exceptional ones. I stayed at the hotel as a day away treat and I was really looking forward to it.

The hotel is based in stunning grounds, beautiful gardens overlooking river Thames. The rooms in the main part of the hotel such as the grand hall are gorgeous and offer great spots to relax and unwind. The spa facilities are very good, beautiful pool, quiet relaxation room and treatment services. I had a very relaxing afternoon at the spa, great massage and very attentive attitude by all staff. This constitutes the good part of my experience and spa aside most of it has nothing to do with the human element (food and service).

My room was spacious and had a big bed which unfortunately did not enjoy in the end. Bedroom was rather run down, stained carpet and furniture. It also seemed that the only place cleaned between guests arrival was the bathroom and a change of sheets. Furniture were dusty and there were spider webs at the windows. The bathroom was renovated and spacious but the window was covered in a white plastic cover for privacy as it was overlooking another building. Some of it has gone down though offering the exact opposite result.

When I mentioned all this to the manager she was quick to give me a defensive response that she inspected herself the room before my arrival and everything was cleaned, she asked me where the bath stains were and she made up a random imaginary story that this was permanent paint and could not be removed and there was nothing to be done with the plastic cover on the window. I wouldn't mind if truly was nothing to be done but first rule when it comes to customer service is not to make the customer any more annoyed that already is. A flexible and can-do attitude is the key. Eventually she went upstairs to inspect again and then informed me they sorted out temporarily the window problem and removed the stains (it wasn't even properly done looked more like someone wiped the stain with the hand). Water at the shower was luke warm. But the biggest annoyance of all was that as soon as I was tucked in my bed at midnight a loud ongoing noise kicked off which as the receptionist informed me (when I called from my mobile as the room phone was broken, as well) it was the bathroom ventilators from other rooms. He was very helpful, one of the few, and he offered to put me in another room to sleep. When he arrived he said himself that he could hear this from outside the door. So I did spend the night in a small room, in a small bed where mattress was not long enough to cover my feet! To top it up the room was dusty and hadn't been ventilated. Been allergic to dust really affected my sleep. Woke up in a zombie state and in serious need of make up after having sworn not to wear any as part of my 'detox' get away. I guess best part of all this was the judgemental look on a housekeepers face the next morning I stepped out to go to my actual room (222) in a bath robe and my handbag.

I am still quite puzzled as to why the service at the main hotel was so appalling. I kept being informed that because of a wedding taking place at the hotel everyone was very busy. But even the next morning, after the wedding party had departed seemed to be equally shocking.

I cannot accept the wedding as an excuse. The hotel should be able to deliver at all times and definitely organising functions shouldn't be at the expense of all other guests. If the hotel cannot cope then functions shouldn't be organised or should increase staff. Either way I would have expected a great service at all times.

Truth be told the female staff was far better than the male which most of the times seemed to be totally bored, inattentive, abrupt and kept running around with no purpose but not serving anyone in the end.

To begin with you have to book everything from tea to dinner etc. as opposed to other hotels where guests can just show up at the restaurant and relax I had to deal with timings and reservations and be stressed about it just as much as I am in London. Completely defeats the purpose. I was seated for my Danesfield tea 'experience' and took 15 mins for someone to take my order. Milk jug was dirty and was sent back. Tea sandwiches and cakes was nothing to write home about. Scones always come folded in a towel to keep them warm, for this one all 3 parts of came at once. Orangery has a beautiful setting and light is gorgeous during the afternoon. For my dinner, which I already had a reservation, staff told me they had no tables and had to wait 30 mins. Once seated I received my side order with my starter (please do alert me if dining rules have changed since last week) which resulted in it being too cold of course to eat when my main arrived. Starter and main course were very good though. My espresso arrived cold. At breakfast the next day I waited for 20 mins for my (wrong type of) coffee and burnt toast to arrive. When I enquired the waiter who had taken my order didn't know what it was. £15 for 2 scones and a cup of tea?! Not sure why thee I states that it is a 'selection' of scones. The list is exhaustive and exhausting to list all. After a certain point and so much staff chasing became too much to even argue over it so just had to accept the really bad service.

I am also stunned that not even once those two days I was there anyone asked me out of curtesy if I was happy with everything. It also seemed to be some partiality towards couples or families - they seem to get priority. I stumbled across this attitude before; travelling off the beaten track in countries where a solo woman at a hotel is probably illegal. Upon departure I didn't get anything as much as a complimentary apology!

I really don't know how all these positive reviews made their way in here as it was also down to those of my very own friends that made me book the retreat. It may be that the hotel delivers more on a quiet weekend, or that it was good once upon a time. Whatever the reason is this is all rather poor for me.

The hotel is in a serious need of a refurbishment and change of management and staff should the ownership still wishes to charge the rates they do. Judging from the number of dissatisfied guests I talked to during my stay, I really hope this was a learning curve for the hotel's management but in marketing terms there are two key rules: 1. It takes one time to spoil someone's experience 2. Negative word of mouth goes around quicker than positive one.

• Stayed August 2014
7 Thank UKbliss79
Dear UKbliss79
Thank you for taking the time to post such an in depth review and I will be in contact directly to discuss the particulars of your stay, as evidently in some areas we fell short, that we sincerely apologise for.
I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Danesfield House is a stunning hotel with amazing views, just a shame about the service. I booked this hotel as part of deal which included dinner and breakfast which I thought was excellent value.

I checked into the hotel around 4pm and on check in nothing was explained to me regarding the hotels facilities or dinner service. So once I had settled into my room around 5:30pm I rang reception to make a dinner reservation to be informed one had already been made for me at 7:15pm which I was never informed about and luckily I rang down otherwise I would of missed dinner, when I tried to put dinner back I was told the next reservation was 8:30pm which was too late for me.

The restaurant is as beautiful as the rest of the hotel, the food and wine was amazing shame about the service once again none of the staff knew what the other was doing and we had to wait 25 minutes for our bill.

Next morning we went down for breakfast as soon as we where shown to our table the staff asked us if we would like tea or coffee to which we replied yes. We managed to have our entire breakfast and wait a further 15minutes and still no drinks. We informed the staff several times and no one went to check in the end we left frustrated.

To sum up Danesfield house is a amazing break just a shame about the staff hopefully they can correct this and it can receive the 5 stars that it deserves.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dsb82Uk
Dear dsb82Uk
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us. It would appear a missed opportunity on our behalf to provide a truly memorable stay for which I sincerely apologise for. Needless to say I will be in touch directly.
I do thank you however for rating our bedrooms and importantly value for money highly.

Anthony
north Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I am sorry not to write a positive review but for what we paid and what we received there was such a huge gab sadly not in our favour! We stayed in room 201. The room itself was ok large and full of character! But the bathroom was dreadful! Small dated and totally unacceptable. The water had a mind of it's owned the too hot or cold. One day it was impossible to have a shower as it was just to hot on either cold or hot setting! I did complain in reception but saw no reduction in my bill.

The hotel needs so much money spending on it before it can justify the prices we were charged!

We ate in the restaurant for the two nights we stayed. Food good but no Michelin star any longer and the hotel seems to be living of its past culinary glories !

Staff were a mixed bunch and it was only our waiter Callum who was exceptional. For the price we paid I would expect all staff to be exceptional!

Overall a disappointing and expensive stay not worth the money and not likely to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank pentrelegal
Dear Pentrelegal,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on trip advisor and I do apologise that you did not have the opportunity to speak to a duty manager regarding the difficulties throughout your stay. We are currently going through a refurbishment of 16 bedrooms with further works to follow, but being an old country house I’m sure you can appreciate that this is delicate work. We addressed the plumbing issues as soon as we found out, unfortunately these issues do occur from time to time with the house dating back to 1901. I am glad that you found Callum excellent, Callum has recently joined us here at Danesfield House and has excelled himself in his position. I note that you would not readily return to Danesfield, however, please contact me directly if you would like to address any further concerns or if there is anything further that I can do for you on coconnell@danesfieldhouse.co.uk
fabuloushols
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

After a few disappointing stays in luxury hotel and spas in this country, I was reluctant to book another, especially for a delayed and long anticipated mini honeymoon. However, I am so glad that we did. What a lovely experience.
We had a beautiful room overlooking the grounds and the river (thank you Mr A Cox for this). It was lovely to be able to throw open the windows and not be sealed in as you seem to be in many hotels these days! The upgrade to the champagne in the room was unintentional, but we did not make a fuss as it was DELICIOUS and well worth the upgrade price.
The bed was amazing. The bedding and pillows were gorgeous. I found the mattress slightly too hard, but just a mention of this to reception, and there was an apology and an offer of a mattress topper which solved the problem. Infact, any small query we had was met with the same apology and a quick resolution.
It is a very quiet hotel, which was fine, but we would have liked a snug place to go other than our room with some board games/cards or something for after dinner. This is something that we have experienced before and think would really add to the Danesfield experience as, in the evenings, the hotel lounge areas, which are quite formal, were extremely quiet.
We had booked several spa treatments, which were performed professionally and well. I would highly recommend the Infinity rose facial which was blissful. There was a slight misunderstanding over one of the bookings, but again, this was resolved immediately and satisfactorily.
We ate in the restaurant each night and were very pleased with the quality of the food, and with the breakfasts each morning.
Thank you, Danesfield House. You have restored my faith in the British luxury spa hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fabuloushols
Dear fabluloushols,

Thank you so much for your kind words about us and I am so glad that we could restore your faith in British country house hotels! I have noted your comments about having an area set aside for games and such like and we will be in discussion to see if this is something we can offer. We are always looking for ways to improve the hotel and all feedback is very valuable to us. Do let me know when you are in the area again as we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Best Wishes,

Essex. England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I visited this hotel on a deal, I would not wanted to have paid full inflated price. Yes the location is beautiful but must have a car as you cannot walk anywhere. I have never paid so much for two cups of tea £11. Needless to say we did not eat in the restaurant. The breakfast was terrible, it was cold, not much variety, strange set up, never been to a hotel where there are no beans, you have to order a fried egg which came up on a plate, delivered by a waitress that didn't know how to get it off her plate onto mine. I asked if they could find out what I could eat as I have an allergy and the answer was, the chef has gone out for a smoke break therefore we can not say for sure! Needless to say didn't have much to eat! Staff just not interested, wont be returning!

Room Tip: We did have a lovely view from our room, 210 (Victoria) on the upside
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Elaine M
Dear Elaine M
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor, and whilst I was pleased to learn you enjoyed the stunning views, I am sorry the breakfast was not as proficient as it should have been, We tend to serve a buffet style breakfast at the weekends, but still prefer to cook eggs freshly to order for guests, and clearly this wasn’t communicated. As for our teams break arrangements I will have to look into your comments further, however clearly these should never be a concern for our guests.
Anthony Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!