“Classy, Comfortable and Convenient”

Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Whitehall B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Classy, Comfortable and Convenient”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We found this place at the last minute, due to another reservation falling through. What a stroke of luck that was! Cocoa Cottage B&B is a wonderful place to stay, with excellent service, comfortable beds, and a homey but very elegant atmosphere. Everything was very clean, and the food was delicious. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: More privacy upstairs
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had a great stay. Larry was there to help with anything we might had needed. He made awesome gourmet breakfasts. The B&B was beautiful and was a labor of love for Larry and his wife because it took 10 years to restore.

• Stayed July 2014
Union City, Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a wonderful time at the Cocoa Cottage! Larry and Lisa were wonderful hosts. They made sure that everything was just so. The home is beautiful and everything was very clean (A big plus for us as we have allergies). The wine and cheese reception was a treat, and the chocolates and port in our room for the evening turn down service was delightful. Breakfast was a culinary delight to the eye and the palate. If you are a foodie, make plans to go out of town to eat lunch and dinner, as the town restaurant selections are very unimpressive. Romantic and releaxing, we will be back and tell all of our friends!

Middleville, Michigan
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Friendly greeting by Larry and Lisa. Very comfortable, yet professional hosts.
Evening treat was a chocolate torte that they will have to describe, plus a homemade spread with crackers and coffee. We enjoyed this on the patio which was a very cozy and pleasant setting.
Our room was clean, comfortable and charming, Plus there was more chocolate!
Breakfast was a fabulous marzipan french toast, bread, fresh fruit aaannnddd CHOCOLATE!
We enjoyed a play at the theatre across the street. Easy walk to downtown.
We'd go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a fantastic time at the Cocoa Cottage with Lisa and Larry. The breakfasts were exceptional and the restored home was beautiful. We are on the younger end and were celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary. We would recommend this to anyone who has not tried out a bed and breakfast before--it would be a great first experience.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Lisa and Larry were wonderful hosts. They run an impeccable B&B in a beautifully restored Arts and Crafts house, that they restored themselves. They are eager to share fun stories about the history of the building and their restoration. The entire cottage is clean and comfortable. Larry's evening hors d'oeuvres and breakfast were absolutely delicious. I can't say enough positive things about this place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We found Cocoa Cottage to be exceptional in every sense.

The owners (Larry & Lisa) were a perfect balance of professional and friendly. They didn't make us feel that we needed to chat, but when we engaged them they were friendly and kind. Larry always took a second to help us find a good dining option. Lisa discussed gardening and planting with me. We felt like we had made new friends when we left.

Our room was awesome! Our mattress was new and wonderful! The furnishings were great! We stayed in the Ghirardelli suite and we had and AMAZING bathroom! The tub was HUGE!

The location is perfect. Situated in downtown Whitehall, we easily could walk to any dining establishments, or downtown shopping. The walking/biking trail was easily accessible. Lake Michigan was nearby, a short drive away. The entire house was VERY clean - it was impeccable.

The service was excellent. We had turn down service both nights. Both nights we had port and chocolate waiting for us for a "nightcap". We also had hand written notes (one from Larry and one from Lisa) on our pillow next to some of Larry's hand-dipped chocolates. Larry was never too busy to stop what he was doing and give directions, recommendations, or give us a hand.

The food was amazing. My husband loved everything that he was served. What made it even more amazing is that I have multiple food allergies. I am very VERY hard to cook for and when I made the reservation I was fairly embarrassed and I told them I could easily bring my own food because I know how difficult it is to find something I could eat. They reassured me that they could easily accommodate my dietary needs, and they did!! It was some of the best food I've had - EVER! They were very gracious, and checked with me to make sure everything was right!

One thing that surprised me the most was the environmental awareness. When I asked if I could throw away my water bottle, they said they would recycle it. I saw Lisa go out to the garden to get spices for our food. Everything was as organic as they could make it, right down to growing their own blackberries, or buying meat locally for our sausage patties. This was an unexpected delightful bonus.

I hope that we can go back again some day! I LOVE West Michigan, and I especially love Whitehall. I can easily and without reservation encourage people to visit Larry and Lisa!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank runruby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehall
Weathervane Inn
Days Inn Whitehall
#4 of 5 in Whitehall
Amanda's Bequest - A Heritage Immersion Bed & Breakfast
White Swan Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!