“disappointed”
Review of Buzz'sLakeside Inn

Buzz'sLakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Whitehall
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I spent many summer vacation here as a child. I have wonderful memories of this place. I wanted to go back some 30 yr later and take a trip down memory lane. I brought a friend with me. Raved about this place all the way there. I suggested she bring her kids back too.

Upon arrival, I found a very welcoming staff. The grounds were still beautiful. The restaurant still delicious!!! The rooms.......terrible. The room was very dated! I am all about the quaintness of this place but for $200/night, I want cleanliness. The airconditioner leaked so the carpeting was soaked and it smelled terrible in our room. We had to wear our shoes in the room because the carpet was squishy. There were extension cords hanging from the TV. We also found some green "stuff" on the drain of the tub. I believe you get what you pay for, so for 200 bucks I had alot more expectations.

I was actually in awe that the owners would even rent this out. They should shut it down and do some much needed renovations.

I will say when I left the staff were very kind and apologetic and compensated me well. They knew and felt bad. The only way I would go back is if they made some changes to make it clean. Please, do some work to this place, so I can come back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chi_Town_ER_Nurse
lakesideinnresort, Owner at Buzz'sLakeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

My regrets for not responding to your comments sooner.

I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at Lakeside Inn Resort this past summer (2011).
I am sure it was even more disappointing when you had such fond memories of your time spent at Lakeside as a child. We cherish that we have been a part of many guests' childhood memories and work hard to preserve the uniqueness our family owned resort has to offer.

I remember the issue you refer to distinctly. It was an unfortunate problem with the air conditioner, which my husband and I both immediately responded to in an attempt to solve the problem. We also made a point not to charge you anything for your stay at Lakeside, showing that it was important that you received good customer service.

Hope you will give us another try again in the future.

Best Regards~
Todd and Jodi Groessl

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed here one night because we were picking our kids up from camp miniwanca. I thought that it would be nicer than it is. It was clean, but it appears that they haven't reinvested money into the old buildings. I think that this place is a poor value and more akin to a cabin than a hotel. We stayed in the lodge. The motel rooms facing the water with a little porch look better. I knew that it would be quaint, but this is just old and tired. I am surprised that they had such a high rating! I am also disappointed that this was the lodging that miniwanca appeared to endorse.

• Stayed: July 2011

My apologies for not responding to your post sooner.

Thank you for your feedback. It is valuable to us, as we strive to keep our guests happy.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your stay at Lakeside Inn Resort. Our family owned resort is over 100 years old. We try our best to keep things updated, while making a point to preserve our quaint atmosphere. Our hope is to provide excellent customer service, a very clean establishment, and a unique vacation destination.

Wishing you all the best in 2012!

Todd and Jodi Groessl

Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stayed at the Lakeside Resort during the second week of June and we really enjoyed it. We used 3 rooms in the Ranch House section and they had plenty of room for all the family. Besides the great lake views and comfortable accommodations, we were most impressed with the welcoming and attentive staff. Several little problems came up like a TV remote not working, etc. and they were all fixed immediately. When my teenage sons commented that the TV was going out in the video room, it was replaced within 10 minutes.
And the restaurant was wonderful! We ended up eating there every night of our 3 night stay. Even though it was a little pricey, the food was so good, it was worth it. We all particularly loved the strawberry/blueberry soup and excellent perch.
It was a great place to go with multigenerational family because everyone could find something they wanted to do, yet still come together and talk about their day. Exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband and I were attending a wedding near Silver Lake. Instead of staying at the Comfort Inn like many out-of-town guests were, we opted to select accommodations that made us feel like were really 'on vacation'. After reading the reviews online, I had a better idea of what to expect when were arrived. I understood this was a 70+ year old family resort that still has the charm of years past. The floors squeaked....the doors were thin, the decor what dated (but charming). The beds were SUPER comfortable --- based on what a previous reviewer stated ---- the mattresses are new as of last year. Unfortunately, the restaurant wasn't yet opened. I was looking forward to eating there for dinner but it isn't scheduled to be open until mid June. We ate breakfast in that dining room (awesome, relaxing view of White Lake) where they had a free breakfast. The breakfast we simple but just enough. It included things like hard boiled eggs, strawberries, yogurt, fruit, bagels, danish, cereal, milk, OJ, and coffee. The staff was very helpful and nice. It was nice just to sit in a lawn chair in their yard and watch the fishing boats on Sunday morning. So relaxing! There was a nice play area for kids --- more than enough to keep them busy for hours. We didn't use the pool, but saw some young kids enjoying themselves and the pool appeared to be heated.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank stefrz
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I brought my 1 year old back in the early 2000's with my wife and he's been there every summer since. We've taken a picture of him in the same location every year. For a family this is an amazing place to create wonderful memories. Very quiet, great cell service just in case you want it, rooms are very old but charming. The folks that work there are wonderful and the restaurant is excellent. Read some reviews from people that were negative, clearly they are used to a Four Seasons and don't get old schol Michigan. A late nigth walk on the grounds also a must do. 2 minute drive to Lake Michigan, White Lake is wide and gorgeous. Enjoy

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank compcore
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Lakeside Inn Resort has been a favorite of our family for 3 generations. My husband first visited when he was one - He is now 50! He has great memories of fishing, sailing and swimming in White Lake and nearby Lake Michigan. We enjoy the pool, the tennis and shuffle board courts and activities for the kids. The restaurant is great! I recommend a blueberry mojito before dinner! The service has always been great -- even when my 5 year old son got sick in the middle of the night and I needed to change the sheets, the night desk clerk was so helpful. My father-in-law loves the golf course that is right across the street. There is something for everyone in a relaxing and fun environment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisaanne66
Reviewed 1 September 2010

A lovely old style resort on White Lake. Very enjoyable - food is wonderful - best around!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehall
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Holiday Inn Grand Haven - Spring Lake
Michillinda Lodge
Michillinda Lodge
#2 of 2 in Whitehall

Been to Buzz'sLakeside Inn? Share your experiences!