“Under New Ownership Changes are Coming”
Review of Buzz'sLakeside Inn

Buzz'sLakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Whitehall
Michigan
“Under New Ownership Changes are Coming”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

When we stayed all of the changes were still not complete at the inn but I took the time to ask the staff and they expected them to be completed in a few weeks. I was impressed with what had been done from the new carpet, painting, new furniture and fabulous beds in the motel units. The food was also fantastic. It was a little weird not having a phone in the room but with cell phones we really didn't need one. I also love the fact the new owners left the wood paneling so you still feel like you are up north on vacation. I can't wait to go back. Even my kids ages 10 and 15 loved it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank jaymesmommy2004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Elgin
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We ate at the new restaurant in the Lakeside Inn on a Saturday night. The hosts greeted us and explained that they just got a lot of other customers so they could seat us right away, but they wanted us to know that the service might be slow. We sat in the garden room which was delightful and quieter than the main dining room. Our service was excellent--very attentive and not at all slow. We enjoyed the offerings suggested by the staff--fried asparagus, raspberry mousse, and the salmon (which has a delicious lemon relish on it). We highly recommend this restaurant.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank leeharsh
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Due to the recent change in ownership, everything is highly unorganized. The staff needs more training and strong leadership. The facilities have seen better days. The rooms we rented were not as the website states. The rooms were moldy and stuffy with broken showers, toilets, and sinks (and no cable). The complimentary breakfast was very poor quality and consisted of breads/starches only. Our rooms had several things stolen and rummaged through. Buzz was made aware of this and nothing was done. Buzz was hard to deal with and very grumpy. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Robin D
buzz k, General Manager at Buzz'sLakeside Inn, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Robin-

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am sorry you did not have a positive experience during your visit. You are correct that as a new owner the operations can be unorganized at times and staff needs more training and direction. We are leaning every day and striving to improve.

We are doing everything we can to update the rooms and I am sorry you felt the room was musty and did not meet your expectations. I have spoken with housekeeping to make sure we address this. Cable is still out thanks to Charter Communication and it is out of my control to fix it. As for items stolen and rummaged through I am confused. I was told that both the watch and lottery ticket were found by yourselves in the rooms you thought they were take from. I was told someone came to the desk to tell the staff all was well.

As per my being grumpy and hard to deal with - I am sorry. I don't recall any direct discussion on any of the above issues, but I apologize if I did not meet your needs. Usually only my children call me grumpy. Some of your group has already expressed interest in booking for next summer. If you accompany them I hope you will take the time to visit with me and share your opinions on how we can better serve our guests.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but I wanted to make sure I addressed all of your concerns.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have been staying at an Inn nearby for 24 years and when it burned down last year we had to look for a new place. Well we found a delightful place and enjoyed our stay at the Lakeside Inn. Our room was spacious and had a great view of Whitehall Lake. We did miss hearing the waves from Lake Michigan, but got a lot of water time for our kayaks. Several friends from our previous lodge are also staying at Lakeside so it feels like HOME! We have made our reservations for next summer. They also have a great pool and the grounds are well kept.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marilyn H
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Pros: Grounds are nice, staff is very courteous and helpful. Secluded location (if thats what youre after). Free Wifi.

Cons: Tiny rooms, with doubles instead of queens. No coffee pot, no iron, no hair dryer in room. Tiny shower in a tiny bathroom. Everything needs a makeover from the old worn carpet to the cracked tiles and rusty pipes on the toilet. the faucets were missing labels and the water came out in a weird spray into the slow runningdrain. Not to mention the 19" tube tv with wires hanging down which was operated by a remote I had to hold up and point at an angle. Dismal selection of channels. Everything felt cheap including the cheap sticky chairs in the dining area. The cereal was soggy and the danish was tiny. No bananas. As you can tell there are too many "no's".

Bottom Line is we expected more. The pretty grounds and location were not enough to make up for the condition of the place. It just needs major renovation. Its really more of a motel in a nice location than a resort.

The staff was very pleasant and our stay wasnt terrible but I think my critique is fair and honest. At almost $200 a night one could do better.

3 Thank telemanstrat
Channahon, Illinois
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The Lakeside Inn Resort is like the quaint old resort featured in the movie Dirty Dancing (but smaller). There are no phones or WI-FI in the rooms. There is a basketball court, shuffle board, tennis court, and heated pool right outside the rooms. I was a little worried about our motel room not having A/C, but the nights were cool so it wasn't a problem. It's old school motel. Don't expect granite countertops, top-of-the-line bathrooms, or too many other luxuries. I've stayed in plenty of hotels in my life, and the best time I've ever had was at the Lakeside Inn Resort. Unplug your family and spend time at a family-owned place that is not a cookie cutter chain. My 11-year-old and 8-year-old LOVED this place. We spent our time participating in family activities when we weren't at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp for Suzuki Family Camp. The young man at the front desk was awesome! Very helpful and nice. We will return again next year for sure!

Room Tip: We like the motel rooms because they have a front and back door and open up right onto the lake on o...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Christine4448
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We have stayed here many times. it is a family owned resort on whitelake very close to lake michigan. Im sure we will stay again. if you do go stay on the second floor,,we stayed in hotel room 22 very large. Great for kids nice pool great place to stay 15 mins from Mi Adventure..after many years they closed the very fine resturant they had there..I guess they just couldnt make a profit to bad food was great..they do have a ice continentel breakfast though.. I have listed places to eat near by below.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank michigan48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehall
Weathervane Inn
Baymont Inn & Suites Muskegon
Days Inn Whitehall
Days Inn Whitehall
#4 of 5 in Whitehall

Been to Buzz'sLakeside Inn? Share your experiences!