“The great outdoors!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Sand Lakes Quiet Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Jet skis, snowmobiles and other noisy vehicles are prohibited in the 2,775-acre area, part of the Pere Marquette State Forest.
Kimball, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The great outdoors!”
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed there May 20th -22nd 2011. We had a great time. There wasnt a lot of wildlife there except for one porcupine that lives near the parking lot. Unfortunately the fishing was kind of slow, most likely due to the weather and it being early in the season. We did a lot of hiking and there was a lot of great scenery to go along with it. I would recommend SLQA to anyone who likes to "rough it".

Visited May 2011
1 Thank TUtash

Cleveland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Not a scenic hike, but quiet and long and flat”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We visited on a weekday afternoon just before Labor Day 2010, so I can't say if it is any different other times, but the areas around Lakes #1, 2, and 3 (I would consider them ponds) were devoid of other humans, as well as animals. The Traverse City magazine claims "wildlife is abundant," but they were wrong, except for one squirrel, a couple birds and lots of mosquitos. It got too boring for us, so we left early. Some campers who must have stayed the night before we arrived had their car tires slashed by vandals. Don't know if this was a mean prank by someone they knew or not. The area is accessible from dirt roads only (lines of dirt roads on local maps are thinnest). I can't recommend this area if you want interesting views or fauna, but it is OK if you want a long easy walk undisturbed.