Soar Mill Cove Hotel
Rose & Crown(Yealmpton)
US$125
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmakepeace familysun loungerssea viewcream teaindoor poolsalt waterleisure facilitiesstunning locationpatio doorsnothing is too much troublefillet steakrelaxing breakspa treatmentsself cateringlounge areacoastal walknational trust
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful week’s holiday, perfect in every way. Twenty seven years ago we stumbled across Soar Mill Cove Hotel whilst visiting this most beautiful part of the Devon coastline, we could choose no other place than it for our honeymoon, our tenth wedding anniversary and our silver wedding anniversary celebrations just four weeks ago.
On all three occasions we could not have been made to feel more welcome, these are just some of the words that we would use to describe the service that we have found discreet, respectful, caring, helpful, attentive, attention to detail and a willingness to make alternative individual arrangements, topped only by delicious food beautifully prepared and served.
Yes it is true that you will not find at Soar Mill Cove Hotel wide screen televisions every where, gigantic pools with water slides and wave machines, in house entertainment for everyone all the time, blaring music, electronic games etc, but if you are one of those who appreciate the things that we have described, you too will be able to experience this small piece of heaven.
What an achievement to be able to keep standards at such a high level in this ever changing world and for the same family to be at the helm of such a lovely place. Through our own experience of three visits over twenty five years we know this to be true and would without doubt recommend Soar Mill Cove hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gnipper666
Keith Makepeace, Owner at Soar Mill Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2010

Having just returned from a few days away celebrating our anniversary we were delighted to return to our very own slice of heaven from Devon. We had a great time ourselves and will of course compliment the hotel wher we stayed but whenever we go away it helps us to focus on making sure that Soar Mill Cove retains its very special attributes which you have clearly enjoyed so very much. It is great to know that all the teams efforst are appreciated. The word team can sometimes be over engineered but I think the caring respect shown by everyone and to everyone at Soar Mill Cove helps to ensure that Soar Mill Cove continues to provide this special service.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

We stayed at the hotel for one night and were very disappointed. The location is superb and the views spectacular. Our room however (suite 5) was dismal. Poorly furnished, shocking decor and a damp.bed with a huge lump in the middle of it! When my partner went to have a shower and could find no shampoo, he popped down to reception for some and was told by the receptionist that "my colleague will be with you in 10 minutes". My partner said he would wait for the shampoo at reception and the response was "Well you'll wait there for 10 minutes then"! We were astonished that the hotel had four stars to be honest. We stay in a lot of hotels in both the Uk and abroad and have to say this is probably one of the worst we have encountered in terms of service, decor and comfort.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Keith Makepeace, Owner at Soar Mill Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2010

I must agree that I am not sure if the reviewer is reviewing the same hotel as the vast majority compliment and others offer constructive suggestions to help us improve. What makes me question this is that all of the bathrooms have ecological dispensers of low intervention shampoo attached to the walls by the shower and over the bath.
I think the days of lots of plastic bottles with fiddly tops and not very sound ethics to land fill have thankfully passed now, certainly in this area of Devon we are all quite “Green Aware”. Of course this is very much a learning curve for us and one that we have a strong role in communicating with our guests so that everyone does this as a matter of course rather than by having to make a particular choice. The conversation and even thought that anyone of our very friendly and personable team would ever tell a guest to wait in such an unpleasant manner just does not ring true and given that they were supposed to get the guest shampoo that was already in the room seems not to add up in all honesty. The other matter which does not make sense would be that out beds are all New Hypnos Beds, as specified to the Royal Household.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

This was our second visit to Soar Mill Cove Hotel and it didn't disappoint.
Once again chef Ian created a choice of starters and mains rather than the usual veggie choice of the day for my vegetarian husband. We asked for room 23 which must have one of the best views over looking the Cove, the sunset on Saturday night was stunning.
The room newly decorated since our last visit is large, very comfortable and spotlessly clean despite the fact that dogs are made very welcome.
Ideally placed to enjoy the South West Coastal path we walked to Hope Cove and back.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We arrived at soar mill cove after a horrendous eight hour journey in the pouring rain from sussex, bumper to bumper the whole way. Went into salcombe and got lost, reversing in terrible places etc. At last we found the hotel - a warm welcome at reception and we were shown to a lovely room with two large double beds and what we would discover the next morning to be a beautiful view across the cliffs and the little beach. Delicious dinner and then at breakfast, having gone in to the dining room determined to have half a grapefruit and coffee I weakened to the best sausages, mushrooms and beans and of course half the toast basket. We then set off with ski poles down to the cove and then climbed a massive hill up to the top of the cliff, my husband was like a mountain goat, I pretended to admire the view!! A lovely walk along the cliff for miles and then to bantham for a crab lunch at the pub. We had booked at the galley in salcombe for dinner on sat but the food in the hotel was too good so we stayed in, the three cheese souffle was to die for as was the plaice stuffed with lobster mousse. The staff are charming, nothing is too much trouble. The next day was my birthday and we were given cream tea. Determined not to weaken I just tasted the edge of the scone, well with the homemade jam and cream the whole lot vanished!!! We were given champagne on the house before another wonderful meal of roast lamb, a speciality I think and scallops as a starter. Sadly, with my jeans screaming for mercy on monday we had to pack and leave for home. The weather in sussex had been awful but in devon it was fine. I would so recommend a visit to this enchanting hotel. (the bathrooms are not the greatest I think some more shampoos etc. would not go amiss but who cares they were adequate). Would thoroughly recommend booking a sea view room waking up to that lovely view was heaven. I do hope the owners will read my review because I can`t thank them enough - we shall be back in the spring and will make sure the three cheese souffle is on the menu. Thank everyone concerned for making my birthday such a memorable one!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Keith Makepeace, Owner at Soar Mill Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

As we all get wrapped up in the detail when working so closely to a business we are all so passionate about, one doesnt always realise just how good your team are, until others tell you.
It makes my job an absolute pleasure when I am able to let the team know how well they are doing and going by your very perosnal and detailed review it is clear that they deserve a big pat on the back.
This encoiurages us all to continue to offer great service to everyone we meet.
Thank you for your kindness and the dteail in which you have shown how constructive praise can be.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

We've now been visiting Soar Mill Cove Hotel for the past decade, and always leave feeling refreshed, inspired and well fed. The owners clearly love the place, and redecorate every few years, so the rooms always look fresh and clean. The food is fantastic too!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DannyD2
Keith Makepeace, Owner at Soar Mill Cove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2010

The Team at Soar Mill Cove never rests on their laurels and its good to see this is rewarded by positive reviews, particularly when the unsung heroes in maintenance have their attention to detail noticed.