“Friends and Family”
Review of Haab's Restaurant

Haab's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Haab's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 175 Restaurants in Ypsilanti
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I were having dinner with my brother and his wife. We had not seen them in a while and was looking for somewhere central to meet them at. I was on groupon and noticed a coupon for Haab's so suggested we go there for dinner. We arrived at happy hour and the appetizers and drinks were not only inexpensive but were great! We then had prime rib and filet mignon for dinner. They were cooked perfectly. The service matched the food, once again excellent. My husband enjoyed it so much, we went home and bought another groupon coupon. I also found that even without the coupon, the food was reasonably priced. I am looking forward to going back.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Haab's has been in business since 1935 and I would say that they have probably been updated once, or twice since opening. My husband and I went there with another couple last evening and 'remembered' what it was like 17 years ago (the last time we were there) and realized little (anything?) had changed. It is clean and well maintained, but definitely a step back in time and the other diners helped give the appearance that we were dining in an 'private pay' assisted living facility. The service was prompt, but not outstanding (no coffee refills which surprisingly did not cause a diner revolt). We shared orders of their shoestring fries and onion rings which were both homemade and good. My husband ordered whitefish which was a tiny dinner portion and frankly was overcooked and did not taste particularly 'fresh'. I ordered the chicken livers which were listed as 'sauteed', however, they were clearly deep fried. Our friends ordered the fried shrimp which were allegedly hand-battered, but appeared as though they were dropped from a frozen food bag. The husband ordered the prime rib "rare" and it was literally 'blue' and mooing on its way out of the kitchen. The seafood chowder (soup of the day) was very thick and pleasant but would have been more aptly named "potato chowder We had two desserts: the apple strudel and the cherry pie: neither of which were 'manufactured' in a "kitchen". They had been microwaved into a heated state that was close to nuclear and arrived at the table with the deflated appearance of a leaky basketball. I had a cocktail (an Old Fashioned that came without bitters, in a tall glass and was diluted with tonic), my husband a diet soda, we had two entrees and one dessert and the bill came to $44.00 before the tip. The parking is inconvenient and there is no apparent handicapper parking, if that is required. I guess the 'up' side of the experience is that we were with good friends and there was no waiting for a table at the time of our arrival. I regret 'panning' such a long time local "institution" and when I characterize it as such - the food is probably on par with a military high school academy, a prison or a hospital without the misbehavior, or the illness. This is a place where we will always have 'reservations'.....

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My wife and I ate at Haab's tonight. Got a groupon a few days ago paid $29 for $55 worth of food that included an appetizer and two entree's. Checked the reviews first before I bought the groupon and they were good so it was worth the try.
I had prime rib and my wife had a filet plus we had the potato skins for an appetizer plus we got two sides. The whole meal was excellent and the food didn't take long to come out and they were fairly busy. Our server was great ! We had a couple of drinks and desert and it only cost an additional $19. The banana cream pie is awesome ( didn't really need already stuffed ) but couldn't resist after I saw another table get one.
The only negative was that we were in the back and the ceilings are low so it was very noisy not sure if the other areas in the restaurant are like that.
We will go back its a nice place with a rustic feel.

1  Thank Dave A
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We went to Haab's using a Living Social special; 1 appetizer to share, 2 entrees, 1 dessert to share. Our server brought their famous bread to the table before we got our meal. Yes, it's light and fluffy bread but that's it, nothing that special (in our opinion). We ordered the loaded potato skins which were fine, not really greasy with fresh green onions on top. The entrees were a bit lacking. The filet my husband had was overcooked and a bit dry. The prime rib I had was tasteless. I don't think they seasoned it at all which is such a shame with that cut of meat. They did offer horseradish which was the only flavor on the beef. The mixed veggies that were served as a side were have been great if they were fresh not frozen. The only shining star of this meal was the apple strudel we had for dessert. It was wonderful.
Our server was great, he was attentive and very polite. The restaurant decor could use an overhaul. They still had Christmas decorations up 3 weeks after the holiday. There was old chewing gum stuck to the underside of the chair I sat in. The carpet needs to be repaired or replaced as it was dirty and buckled in spots. The tables and chairs need to be updated or at the least cleaned of gum.

1  Thank Carol L
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The fried chicken and fries. Are to die for. Good old time fried chicken and fries that are shoestring style. And lemonade. If you are looking for old fashion food from old time . This is the place for you. I highly give it a thumbs up.Hope to see you soon..