“Haab's Restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Haab's Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The restaurant is a little dated by the decor, but if you can get past that, the food is really good. This is a great place for a family dinner, or date. I would highly recommend the deep fried mushrooms, they are phenomenal and huge! Dinner portions are perfect!

Northville
“Great Food - in spite of ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Despite it's location and appearance, inside and out, the food is quite good. Parking is not convenient and the restaurant is in great need of a facelift but hang in there. The fried mushrooms and buffalo wings were well done, hot and some of the best we've had - although we don't usually eat those items. Salads were well done with homemade croutons and a good mix of greens. We tried 3 different steaks, New York, Filet Mignon and London Broil, and each was a quality cut, tender and perfectly cooked. They were out of the prime rib by 7:00 pm. The coconut cream pie for dessert was wonderful and the cream puff was large and enjoyed. All 4 of us agreed that Haab's was a pleasant surprise and we'd return. Service was just adequate.

1 Thank cjlifecycle
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
“Needs a make-over”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

My wife, son, and I stopped here for lunch, our first time back in 15 years. We all ordered the same thing, the Reuben sandwich, but each with different sides. The sandwiches were sumptuous and good-tasting; the sides so-so. It took the food a good while to appear, even though there were few other diners in the restaurant at the time (ca. 2pm). Our waiter was attentive and efficient.

Even with only a few patrons in the restaurant at the time, it was quite noisy, most of the noise coming from the kitchen staff (and one patron seated at the bar) who were shouting jocular insults at each other. I imagine the place could be really quite loud when there were more people dining, say in the evening.

The decor is dingy and really needs an update, or at least a cleaning up. The carpeting definitely could benefit from a thorough shampooing. Probably, though, it should just be replaced. The restrooms are an issue. The men's restroom was clean, but as soon as you got to the head of the stairs (the restrooms are in the basement) there was a discernible odor, which got stronger as you descended the staircase. I'm glad we were seated away from the stairwell. All things considered, we will not be back.

Ypsilanti
“Friends and Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I were having dinner with my brother and his wife. We had not seen them in a while and was looking for somewhere central to meet them at. I was on groupon and noticed a coupon for Haab's so suggested we go there for dinner. We arrived at happy hour and the appetizers and drinks were not only inexpensive but were great! We then had prime rib and filet mignon for dinner. They were cooked perfectly. The service matched the food, once again excellent. My husband enjoyed it so much, we went home and bought another groupon coupon. I also found that even without the coupon, the food was reasonably priced. I am looking forward to going back.

• Visited February 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Another Gray Panther Lair”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

Haab's has been in business since 1935 and I would say that they have probably been updated once, or twice since opening. My husband and I went there with another couple last evening and 'remembered' what it was like 17 years ago (the last time we were there) and realized little (anything?) had changed. It is clean and well maintained, but definitely a step back in time and the other diners helped give the appearance that we were dining in an 'private pay' assisted living facility. The service was prompt, but not outstanding (no coffee refills which surprisingly did not cause a diner revolt). We shared orders of their shoestring fries and onion rings which were both homemade and good. My husband ordered whitefish which was a tiny dinner portion and frankly was overcooked and did not taste particularly 'fresh'. I ordered the chicken livers which were listed as 'sauteed', however, they were clearly deep fried. Our friends ordered the fried shrimp which were allegedly hand-battered, but appeared as though they were dropped from a frozen food bag. The husband ordered the prime rib "rare" and it was literally 'blue' and mooing on its way out of the kitchen. The seafood chowder (soup of the day) was very thick and pleasant but would have been more aptly named "potato chowder We had two desserts: the apple strudel and the cherry pie: neither of which were 'manufactured' in a "kitchen". They had been microwaved into a heated state that was close to nuclear and arrived at the table with the deflated appearance of a leaky basketball. I had a cocktail (an Old Fashioned that came without bitters, in a tall glass and was diluted with tonic), my husband a diet soda, we had two entrees and one dessert and the bill came to $44.00 before the tip. The parking is inconvenient and there is no apparent handicapper parking, if that is required. I guess the 'up' side of the experience is that we were with good friends and there was no waiting for a table at the time of our arrival. I regret 'panning' such a long time local "institution" and when I characterize it as such - the food is probably on par with a military high school academy, a prison or a hospital without the misbehavior, or the illness. This is a place where we will always have 'reservations'.....

• Visited January 2014