“Old Timey Good”

Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Old Timey Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This is not fine dining. This is good food in a good place at a good price for
a good time. Fine meats with special signature dishes that have been there
forever--try the chicken in a basket, filet, onion rings, etc. I can return confidently knowing that what I liked 30 years ago will be as good. Servers are diner quality. Yet even in this simple,yummy place they had splits of
sparkling to toast my friend! Certainly worth your time; easy parking close by.

Visited June 2014

Ann Arbor, MI
“Average Steaks...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a Groupon deal for this place. It was 2 entrees and an appetizer for $29. It was a great deal as we started with shrimp cocktail. The shrimp was average size though a couple of them were not completely defrosted. I ordered the NY strip while my daughter had the London Broil. Neither really stood out and the London Broil was probably a little over cooked. For the deal I had, no complaints. On the positive side, the service was excellent. I found the decor to be in keeping with the tradition of the restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
Flint, mi
“Back in the 1980s”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The last time I ate here was decades ago. When I was a college student in the 1980s I had eaten at Haabs quite a few times. Then, just as now, the food was very good. They still have the cold pewter salad plates that I remembered.

I had the seafood platter which included clams, fish and shrimp. My wife ordered the whitefish... highly recommended .

The decor has changed very little... and I hope it never does. The charm of the old days is great for reminiscing fond memories.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s this was always the best restaurant in Ypsilanti. Even now, it still remains one of the top restaurants in the area.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank flintjarvis
Lansing, Michigan
“Great food, "classic" decor.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

As others have said the place looks a little dated but I have found such places to have the best food. It might be the kind of place your Grandma would fall in love with but don't brush it off because good food takes time and this place has been around for a while! Try the chicken in the basket, or the ramaki, or darn near anything. This hidden gem of Ypsilanti makes me long for my old college days at EMU. Someday I will be back.

• Visited June 2013
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Haab's Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The restaurant is a little dated by the decor, but if you can get past that, the food is really good. This is a great place for a family dinner, or date. I would highly recommend the deep fried mushrooms, they are phenomenal and huge! Dinner portions are perfect!

• Visited March 2014