“The most tactless owner I have ever encountered!”

The Queen's Residence B&B
Ranked #1 of 2 Ypsilanti B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2013

If anyone needs to stay at a bed and breakfast in the Ypsilanti area......DO NOT, I repeat...DO NOT stay at the The Queen's Residence Bed & Breakfast on Huron St! My mother, who is disabled, was thrown out because we all assembled in the courtyard to say our goodbyes after a fabulous wedding dinner at Haab's.....which set the owner off because we did not tell him we were having a "party." Which we were not! Instead of politely advising us that we needed to clear this gathering with him first, he, in an extremely volatile manner, informed us he was adding 75.00 to my mother's bill immediately. When we asked him if he was serious, he started freaking out and told us we all had to leave immediately...INCLUDING MY 76 year old mother and my two elderly visiting Aunts who had driven over 1.5 hours to see her and celebrate with us. My sister who had flown home from Afghanistan just for this event, was floored!! We tried to reason with the gentleman but he continued to flip out, threatening to call the police on us!

I have never met a business owner with so little tact, interpersonal skill, and professional savvy! Regardless of the fact that the B&B is extremely over priced and on an extremely busy street with no extra parking available, guests who travel from out of town should be able to sit down togather and chat without being accosted by the rudest man I have ever met! He is most definitely in the wrong line of work!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ticketgirl
queensresidence, Owner at The Queen's Residence B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

To our past and future guests

Most of our guests come here for a quiet respite and quality time away from everyday life. We do our best to provide that.

We do the occasional party but they are always scheduled in advance so as not to interfere with our overnight guests.

Unfortunately I was put into a position where I had to decide weather to allow a loud, rowdy unscheduled party or support our policy of providing a quiet relaxing atmosphere to our paying guests.

I was quickly informed (while trying to explain our policy) that if I stopped the party negative reviews would be posted. And guess what!

Seeing a no win situation I opted to eject the partygoers in favor of our paying customers and their expected respite.

Please rest assured any future incidents will be handled in a like swift and efficient manor because a safe, secure, and relaxing ambiance is our top priority.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I was dropping off my mother-in-law after having a fabulous dinner. Now, first off let me say that i do not drink at all, so alcohol was not a factor. A small group (9) of all over the age of 45 were saying goodbyes to her in the courtyard, when the male owner of the "private residence" came out and informed us that $75.00 was being added to the bill for having a "party" in the courtyard. When asked if he was serious he became totally outraged. I then responded "Well, I can tell you what type of review you're going to get." a that time he threatened to call the police. Then threatened my disabled mother-in-law and threw her out. Nice way to treat the disabled AFTER you grab there money. Needless to say, I would recommend staying at the homeless shelter down the street before this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank mifan86

To our past and future guests

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Everything about "The Queen's" is WONDERFUL. The basics of a great B&B are of course superb: very reasonable rates, comfortable beds, elegant (ironed) bed linens, fluffy, thirsty towels, lots of hot water, fancy showers, grand period decor and delicious breakfasts. Hosts Marla and Joe have thought of every extra as well: a real library with books and movies, a snack nook with beverages and home-made cookies, a fancy garden hot tub, even a sound machine in the bedroom in case the sporadic traffic is bothersome. And, both Marla and Joe are gracious and engaging hosts.
We LOVED this place -- only wish we lived nearer so we could be there more often. As B&B pros, we can say "The Queen's" rates an A+. Have to laugh at 85UMGuy's review -- he sure wasn't at the same place we were.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
queensresidence, Owner at The Queen's Residence B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Hello Jeff and Marthur,

Wow! what can I say. That was just the nicest, most wonderful review we have ever received. Thanks to wonderful guests like the two of you and the many others like you, this business is the best ever! We loved having you and hope you will be back. If we find ourselves in New Hampshire, we just might stop by to see your historic farm house.

Warmly,
Joe and Marla

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was our first trip to the Ann Arbor area. We have stayed in several bed and breakfasts in more the B and B-concentrated Philadelphia and Charlottesville areas, and this is one of the best! It is obvious from the well-appointed rooms to the hearty breakfasts that Marla and Joe take great pride in what they do. We stayed in the Gibson room, which has its own private entrance - I loved the French Country decor. It is also away from the other guest rooms, so it is very private. The room is on the cozy side, but that just played up how much attention to detail the innkeepers paid - the room was spotless, the linens and towels fluffy and luxurious, the bathroom bright and the shower spa-like, and every time I turned around my spouse was sound asleep on the tempur-pedic bed ( a new experience for us). In an older house like this it can be easy for the decor to be cluttered and that musty old house smell ingrained, but I could not get over how beautifully-decorated, clean, and comfortable the house was.

The breakfasts were delicious (raspberry-stuffed french toast one day and eggs benedict topped with an avocado slice the next), and we were able to choose our breakfast time (also new for us.) One morning it was just my spouse and I eating breakfast at a smaller table with soothing music and lit-candles - truly relaxing!!!

We have friends that live in the area, and this place is making us think hard about staying with them the next time we visit!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

The Gibson Suite is one of our newest rooms so we are so pleased that you enjoyed it. I am glad that you liked my choice of décor and my breakfasts.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Marla and Joe were wondeful and the amenities of this exquisite bed and breakfast were astounding. Every detail was perfect from the remarkable linens on our four-poster king bed in the Queen's room. Every place I looked was gorgeous with expuisite detail. The breakfasts were astounding with pancakes, fresh fruit and French toast. I have been to many accommodations and this was one of the best. I am astonished at any negative comments.

Room Tip: The Queen's room is a wonderful choice with a private bath and a spacious room and a little secr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your lovely comments about our inn, the food, and us.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Queens Residence was one of the worst travel experiences we have ever had. Our room was noisy (next to a busy street), and Marla responded to my wife's request for coffee by yelling at her to get out of the kitchen. We couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Find a different place to stay.
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank 85UMGuy
queensresidence, Owner at The Queen's Residence B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

This guest did not want to be on this trip. She complained on the phone before arriving of being forced to come to a U of M football game by her husband. She then proceeded to dictate her menu to me. The guests did not arrive until well after midnight (no call or apology for the extremely late arrival). The next morning the guest asked for coffee 2 1/2 hours before her scheduled breakfast but could not wait long enough for me to make her the coffee. She stormed off after swearing at me. She went upstairs and started yelling at her husband, which disturbed the other guests. The guests for whom I was serving breakfast at the time were appalled and could not believe how rude she was. After purchasing and preparing the requested special menu, this guest informed me that she brought her own food. We were prepared to ask them to leave if any other incidences occurred, but we were spared this since they checked out after breakfast. It is true that the inn is located in an urban area two blocks from downtown.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Unfortunately we only stayed overnight. Our party occupied 3 of 4 rooms and each one was equally impressive. This is not your cookie cutter Hilton, or Comfort Inn; each room has a unique character, fully equipped with all necessities and hosted by warm couple Joe and Marla. Very clean, comfortable beds, wonderful breakfast, pretty grounds. Only one word of caution, all bedrooms are on the second floor with at least 10 foot first floor ceiling, so if you have trouble navigating stairs – this is not for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank swetin

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We also wish you could have stayed longer. I am pleased to report that we now have a beautiful ground floor room with a king bed, so folks that can't navigate stairs have another option.

Been to The Queen's Residence B&B? Share your experiences!