“Not 5 star”

Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Barr Al Jissah
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

After saving up for some time, we spent a week at this resort. It is the worst 5star hotel I have ever stayed at.

Room: Bird excrement on the balcony, mould on the bed headboards.

Resort: its not as well kept as you would expect for the price. Grass overgrown around the sunloungers, fly infestation at the restaurants, and terribly chewing chicken at lunch.

I will not be recommending this resort to any friends or family.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank iloveessex
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear iloveessex, Thank you for taking your time to review the resort in regards to your recent visit. Please except my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced during your visit. I would appreciate if you could provide me with some additional feedback directly at mark.kirk@shangri-la.com as your constructive feedback would certainly help us improve our services and facilities. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 3 June 2014

All in all a beautiful hotel in an amazing location with spectacular views of the mountain and the sea. We spent three nights at the Al Waha resort and overall had a lovely time. There was a slight hitch when we checked in because there were no king size beds available except on the ground floor, the room windows of which are at ground level and thus less privacy. We then agreed to have two single beds pushed together on a higher floor which was done immediately.

The breathtaking view of the mountains and the sea from the balcony was one of the clear highlights of our break and we enjoyed having tea and dinner on the balcony, drinking in the spectacular scenery.

The breakfast choices available were impressive and the service was very good but on arrival at breakfast a couple of times we were not allowed to enter the breakfast room at all because it was stated to be 'full' but on entering the room for breakfast there were a few empty tables dotted around the room. This was not a problem in itself because breakfast is a very busy time but we found the manner of a particular member of staff quite condescending and rude on two separate occasions when barring us from entering the room. This behaviour does not befit such a hotel but I will say the rest of the service we received at the hotel was great.

The highlight of the whole stay was walking on the beach after sunrise and watching the newly hatched baby turtles waddle into the sea to return in 20 years time to lay their own eggs; this was an experience we will treasure forever. We loved Muscat and will definitely return again at some point and would book here again but maybe in another of the hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank safya14

Dear Safya, Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor in regards to your recent visit. Like other who have reviewed the resort I am delighted to read you experienced turtles hatching during your visit. Thank you for the positive feedback on the food and variety offered at breakfast. Please except my apologies for the way the staff greeted you at breakfast which I will certainly discuss with the team. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the Al Waha for the long weekend to relax and recharge the batteries. We had the most amazing time despite some minor comments, we would definitely return to the Shangri La.
The price of the room, food & beverages, and activities were all on par with the other 5 star resorts in Muscat but it was those extra added touches which can make the difference when choosing to return to a hotel.

The quality of the room was impressive including the bathroom and water pressure in the shower. The curtains in the room restricted about 98% of the light from entering in the mornings.

We requested a room with a sea-view and got more than we could have asked for. At the pool hut you get issued with your own cooler box with water and ice which is a great idea especially in the baking heat. In the afternoon there are two guys who come around with platters offering watermelon and cold towels.

Snorkel hire is free and well worth a try especially along the adjacent rock areas. The variety of fish is stunning and if your lucky you might catch a glimpse of a sea turtle. Also worth a mention are the free kayaks available from the water sports hut. My tip would be to take a snorkel set with you on the kayak and paddle out to the large rock formation in front of Al Husn. The sea life out here is bigger and better!

The only comments we had were in regards to the Breakfast Buffet at Samba. We always look forward to a pleasant and relaxing breakfast, but this place was far from that. When we came through the back entrance outside the hostess had shouted at us for seating ourselves but there was no sign saying 'please wait to be seated' nor were we greeted by anyone on arrival. We knew this was the family hotel when we booked it, but we weren't expecting so many screaming kids running around unchecked and unmanaged. Next time we will book the Al Bandar to avoid this chaotic experience.

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience and would definitely return again on our next visit. The beach was the best one I've been to so far in Muscat, so it's pretty hard to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view on the top level
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bradantha_54
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Bradantha_54, Thank you for taking your time to review the resort on TripAdvisor. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for highlighting the Kayaks and the snorkeling as highlights of your stay. Over the summer months the snorkeling and diving is at its best. Thank you for the feedback on Samba which I will discuss with the relevant manager. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This place was great for our family with kids. They were gutted to leave and want to return immediately based on the insane amount of fun they had. We had lots of fun too--happy kids=happy parents and the kids club and cheap babysitting service meant we had plenty of alone time. The views were great, the rooms at Al Waha were clean and nicely appointed. The "extras" like free shuttles to town and kayaks were a bonus.

I did not, however, equate the service we got with what I expect from a 5 star hotel and resort. I found the staff--the food service staff in particular--to be poorly trained and managed. We only had 1 meal during our 4 night stay that was anything other than mediocre. They were slow to seat us, slow to take orders, and slow to get our food out. AT EVERY MEAL. At the Surf City cafe one family who arrived shortly after us actually got up and walked out after waiting too long for menus (over 10 minutes). Twice we were brought the wrong things. The manager was VERY apologetic both times. In fact, the look of fear on the waitresses face when I politely told her of the mistake, and the subsequent near groveling of her and the manager made the whole experience all the more unpleasant. I could almost forgive that if the food were good. It was unmemorable at best. We'd planned on leaving the kids with a sitter and going to one of the very nice places at least once, but when they couldn't even seem to get the easy stuff right at the first 3 restaurants we tried, we decided to save our money. Unfortunately with the location of the hotel so far from town you can't really just "nip out" to someplace better. That said, we had a slightly above average meal at "Asia" both with quality of food and the service.

The front desk and concierge staff were slightly better trained, but again, not on par with what I've come to expect from a place touting 5 stars. They did their jobs, but with little enthusiasm and not that "extra" effort that really makes a person feel special and welcome. Easily fixed with some proper training...

Overall I liked our stay, and would go back (and recommend to friends) but this may not be the place for you if you're a foodie, and until they work on staff training, I'd stick to the buffet options. The property and amenities are 5 star...but the staff needs work.

Room Tip: Ground flood rooms opened directly onto the pool deck. This might or might not be a good thing...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank skeeteratredhouse

Dear skeetatredhouse, Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to hear that your kids enjoyed their stay and will persuade you to return in the future. In regards to your food and beverage experience please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused. I have shared this feedback with the team and I can assure you that your constructive feedback will assist us in improving our services. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I stayed in this Resort in 04-06 May as part of a UNIGLOBE owners meet and also of the invitation from Department of Tourism Sultanate of Oman.It is a wonderful resort in all counts.
They have 3 properties is in the same location AL- Waha is one of them.
Excellent restaurants service different countries cuisine,since we are part of an Indian delegation even Indian foods were served in the restaurants with an impeccable service standard.
It was an extremely hot summer days were we enjoyed the services of the resort.
Clean beach with an gassing sight of tortoise coming to shore to lay eggs.
We have enjoyed the stay......

Room Tip: Ground level rooms are facing swimming pool is have an excellent view and can sit out and enjoy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear ThomasOommen, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed and thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am happy that you experienced one of the turtles coming to lay eggs on the resorts beaches. The main turtle season for both laying eggs and hatching is at its peak at the moment so guests staying at this time of year have a good chance to experience seeing turtles during their stay. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Overall the resort and the location are amazing. The only issue was finding the hotel as i drove there and unlike the other hotels there was no proper signage to find the place where the hotel was located.
For check-in there was quite a queue, because it was on a long week-end and although i arrived at 1pm the room wasnt ready and after driving 5 hours it is a bit disappointing. Never the less i left my mobile number to be contact once my room would be ready considering check-in time is officially at 2pm but noone called. At 4pm i make my way back to the reception to enquire and they tell me that the room has been ready a long time back yet no one called me to inform me of the same.
I reach the room and find a two double bedded room when i had requested for a king bed, i call the reception and am told that this is all they have. It's unlucky that after having waited i can't even get the bedding type i requested for. The TV channels werent all showing properly and a bit scramble which is ok because you dont really go to such a place to watch tv but yet you except perfection in a 5star resort. The good thing is that you have both shower and bath tub, the only inconvenient is that the bathtub is smaller than an average bath tub...
Turn down service was done nicely when i got back from my lovely dinner. Yet very basic, no chocolates or flowers.
The beach is very nice and the water is crystal clear. The team by the beach are very nice and welcoming. Same goes for the staff in charge of the water sport activities.
The outlets are good but over priced. I had dinner in bait al bahar the seafood restaurant. Service was good and the food wasnt bad but it wasnt nothing incredible either and i thought it was a bit expensive for what it was. The pool bar of al waha wasnt bad, but what i appreciated was the very good service i got from the team there.
The breakfast was nothing speacial and quite disappointing actually. The lay-out isnt very attractive and the restaurant itself is quite dark.
The resort is nice to walk from al waha to al bandar and the location is very nice. Once again staff is very nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear cccarolineee, Thank you for reviewing the resort on TripAdvisor in regards to your recent stay. I certainly appreciate both your negative and positive feedback in regards to your stay at the resort. On the note on the TV I am happy to say that we will convert this to a digital signal from 3rd June. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Lazy river, a fantastic kids club staffed by lovely people, large rooms, great staff, great facilities - what more could you ask for especially when travelling with a 7 and 4 year old?

We really enjoyed our five days here. Good snorkelling on the beach. I'm sure it's all been said before.

Oman is an expensive country but I was pleasantly surprised by the cost of eating and drinking in the hotel - nothing outrageous, especially compared to our stay a few weeks later at the Crowne Plaza Muscat.

Another just go recommendation from me!

Best wishes,

William

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

TheTravelCounsellor, The team and I are very happy to read your positive review on TripAdvisor and delighted to hear that you recommend the resort. Most importantly I am happy to read your 7 and 4 year old enjoyed the lazy river and other child friendly facilities on offer. I hope they become regular visitors of the resort. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barr Al Jissah
Radisson Blu Hotel, Muscat
Sheraton Oman Hotel
Sheraton Oman Hotel
#1 of 61 in Muscat

Been to Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!