Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa - Al Waha Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Shangri-La Al Husn Resort & Spa(Barr Al Jissah)
Corniche Hotel(Muscat Governorate)
View Hotel
Al Waffa Hotel Flats(Muscat Governorate)
View Hotel
Golden Oasis Hotel(Muscat Governorate)
  • Room Service
1,279 results
All reviewsal wahalazy riverkids clubfamily hoteladventure zonesplash padinterconnecting roomsthe ground floorsamba restaurantsurf cafechi spamelondolphin watching tripsea viewhalf boardpool barwater activities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed with family and friends at the hotel over Christmas and New Year.
Each and every member of the staff were very passionate and did such a tremendous job in tending to our needs. It was so refreshing to see them smiling as they went about their business . All our friends and family who stayed at the Shangri La during the same period had something wonderful to say that I am already anticipating my next trip.
Everything from the children's party and the presents on Christmas day, to the finale on New Years Eve was outstanding, my only regret was that I could not stay longer.
Housekeeping were very prompt and the beds would be done by the time we came back from breakfast. The kids activities were amazing. From round the clock kids club, to the other facilities like the childrens cinema with popcorn and drinks, crazy golf, soft play area plus many more activities.
In our group we had different dietary requirements... they were all taken care of during one of the busiest times of the year. The piano bar was ideal for pre dinner drinks while the kids were at the cinema. I would highly recommend restaurant Asia and the Tapas bar in the courtyard. The fireworks and the Gala dinner was like being in heaven! All the staff did an amazing job with professional service throughout.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Raj F
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa - Al Waha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Raj F, Thank you for staying with us over the Christmas holidays and taking your time to write your positive review on the resort. Your review is perfect timing as we are just starting to plan for the Christmas/New Year holiday now and your feedback will be useful when deciding what to keep doing and what to make better. Hopefully you and your family will deiced to return to us this year. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Upon arrival, we had booking problem with the room. I specifically asked for no smoking room as I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. The first room they gave me smelled of cigarettes. I asked to change the room. The second room also had a similar problem. I asked to change but was refused as there was no more Deluxe King's in the hotel. I asked for an upgrade then as this was not my problem, but they refused. After 6 hours of driving from Dubai to Muscat, and having arrived at 3am, i was too tired and frustrated to argue with anyone. I was just shocked that your staff can be so cold-hearted. I had a terrible sleep that night.

The bathroom shower kept leaking water into the outside. It required a couple of towels on the outside to soak up the water. Other than that, the room was pretty clean.

The resort itself was pretty spectacular and the beach/pool was beautiful. The water was clear and the snorkeling itself was awesome. Lots of wildlife to be seen underwater and the beach offers great water activities, however they are a bit pricey. I think it a snorkeling trip was around 80 OR.

The food was pretty good too… Our breakfast was very delicious with lots of variety and our dinner (seafood night) left us all in food coma.

The resort is clean and the facilities are great. The food is excellent and the beach is clean. My only compliant is that the staff are pretty clueless. They don't really understand the concept of customer service. The only person that seemed to care and help us was Ms. Hind Arabia, the floor manager. Hind, thank you for making our stay pleasurable.

She gave us free dinner and a room upgrade as well as a late checkout for our horrible arrival experience.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the lower floor as they are near the pool/beach as well as the restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank akmokdad

Dear akmokdad, Thank you for sharing your feedback with the readers of TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for the poor arrival experience. I am happy to read the Duty Manager Ms. Hind did resolve this issue for you and offer you a late check out to make up for the inconvenience. On a positive note I am delighted you enjoyed the resort and the facilities and thank you for highlighting the quality of food served. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

After saving up for some time, we spent a week at this resort. It is the worst 5star hotel I have ever stayed at.

Room: Bird excrement on the balcony, mould on the bed headboards.

Resort: its not as well kept as you would expect for the price. Grass overgrown around the sunloungers, fly infestation at the restaurants, and terribly chewing chicken at lunch.

I will not be recommending this resort to any friends or family.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank iloveessex

Dear iloveessex, Thank you for taking your time to review the resort in regards to your recent visit. Please except my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced during your visit. I would appreciate if you could provide me with some additional feedback directly at mark.kirk@shangri-la.com as your constructive feedback would certainly help us improve our services and facilities. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 3 June 2014

All in all a beautiful hotel in an amazing location with spectacular views of the mountain and the sea. We spent three nights at the Al Waha resort and overall had a lovely time. There was a slight hitch when we checked in because there were no king size beds available except on the ground floor, the room windows of which are at ground level and thus less privacy. We then agreed to have two single beds pushed together on a higher floor which was done immediately.

The breathtaking view of the mountains and the sea from the balcony was one of the clear highlights of our break and we enjoyed having tea and dinner on the balcony, drinking in the spectacular scenery.

The breakfast choices available were impressive and the service was very good but on arrival at breakfast a couple of times we were not allowed to enter the breakfast room at all because it was stated to be 'full' but on entering the room for breakfast there were a few empty tables dotted around the room. This was not a problem in itself because breakfast is a very busy time but we found the manner of a particular member of staff quite condescending and rude on two separate occasions when barring us from entering the room. This behaviour does not befit such a hotel but I will say the rest of the service we received at the hotel was great.

The highlight of the whole stay was walking on the beach after sunrise and watching the newly hatched baby turtles waddle into the sea to return in 20 years time to lay their own eggs; this was an experience we will treasure forever. We loved Muscat and will definitely return again at some point and would book here again but maybe in another of the hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank safya14

Dear Safya, Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor in regards to your recent visit. Like other who have reviewed the resort I am delighted to read you experienced turtles hatching during your visit. Thank you for the positive feedback on the food and variety offered at breakfast. Please except my apologies for the way the staff greeted you at breakfast which I will certainly discuss with the team. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the Al Waha for the long weekend to relax and recharge the batteries. We had the most amazing time despite some minor comments, we would definitely return to the Shangri La.
The price of the room, food & beverages, and activities were all on par with the other 5 star resorts in Muscat but it was those extra added touches which can make the difference when choosing to return to a hotel.

The quality of the room was impressive including the bathroom and water pressure in the shower. The curtains in the room restricted about 98% of the light from entering in the mornings.

We requested a room with a sea-view and got more than we could have asked for. At the pool hut you get issued with your own cooler box with water and ice which is a great idea especially in the baking heat. In the afternoon there are two guys who come around with platters offering watermelon and cold towels.

Snorkel hire is free and well worth a try especially along the adjacent rock areas. The variety of fish is stunning and if your lucky you might catch a glimpse of a sea turtle. Also worth a mention are the free kayaks available from the water sports hut. My tip would be to take a snorkel set with you on the kayak and paddle out to the large rock formation in front of Al Husn. The sea life out here is bigger and better!

The only comments we had were in regards to the Breakfast Buffet at Samba. We always look forward to a pleasant and relaxing breakfast, but this place was far from that. When we came through the back entrance outside the hostess had shouted at us for seating ourselves but there was no sign saying 'please wait to be seated' nor were we greeted by anyone on arrival. We knew this was the family hotel when we booked it, but we weren't expecting so many screaming kids running around unchecked and unmanaged. Next time we will book the Al Bandar to avoid this chaotic experience.

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience and would definitely return again on our next visit. The beach was the best one I've been to so far in Muscat, so it's pretty hard to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view on the top level
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bradantha_54
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa - Al Waha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Bradantha_54, Thank you for taking your time to review the resort on TripAdvisor. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for highlighting the Kayaks and the snorkeling as highlights of your stay. Over the summer months the snorkeling and diving is at its best. Thank you for the feedback on Samba which I will discuss with the relevant manager. Warm regards, Mark Kirk