“Loved it!!”

Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Barr Al Jissah
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I loved everything about this hotel! The views are amazing. The area is beyond scenic! The property is a hidden gem. I booked a trip for dolphin watching with the hotel; it was one of the highlights of the trip. Pictures do not do this place justice, nor do words. It is simply amazing! As is Oman!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SarasJournies
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear SarasJournies, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us last July and you still have great memories of your holidays. As you have mentioned Oman and Muscat is truly a beautiful destination and I am also happy to read that you experienced the dolphin watching which is a highlight for many visitors, hopefully you will return soon! Warm regards, Mark Kirk

There are newer reviews for Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at Al - Waha hotel in May 2014.Rooms are very basic but comfortable. Lovely views and good facilities.breakfast has a nice variety and caters for kids as well.food at hotel is good but very expensive,if you have kids the buffet is very worth it as kids eat free. Free shuttles to Muscat mall which has good food and shopping however it is an hours drive.the pools and the beach is amazing which is the highlight of the place.looking forward to going back soon:)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rabia18
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Rabia18, Thank you for taking your time to review the resort in regards to your recent visit. I am happy to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay and thank you for highlighting our children’s policy where kids eat free (11 and under) when dinning with their parents at the buffets throughout the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at Shangri-La Oman three times, have also stayed at the other two hotels, Husn and Bandar- there's not a lot of difference between all three, other than the adults only hotel but essentially the design etc is the same and you can access the facilities of all three anyway so if you are looking at price I would just go with the best deal. Al Waha is in the middle so good for access. The rooms are not spectacular, but they are really well presented and clean. You definitely want pool and ocean view rooms otherwise you have travelled a long way to miss the point of this place-location.
I actually found the arrival drive in most memorable because you drive from the airport through Muscat and then into the mountainous landscape, up into the hills to finally have them open up to the ocean, past the dive centre (which is another awesome accommodation location-ex budget too!) to arrive at Shangri-La. There are townhouses as well as the hotel and so the complex is really quite large and so after a lonely mountain desert drive you really feel like you have arrived somewhere special.
The interior is really well appointed, the fittings and fixtures are high quality and to traditional arabic style. Some of the ceiling and lighting features as well as the mashribya panels are quite amazing, it's definitely not a cheap fit out.
The restaurant design is a bit stark for me, but I find most hotel restaurants have an element of clinical being attached to the hotel and not it's own unique identity but for food... the Italian and the Seafood Restaurant are best. You can't fault the food and even the breakfast buffet restaurant is pretty good.
Make good use of the water activities. We took a long boat ride up the coast with a couple of local staff who were more than happy to talk about the area and history for us.
You'd be hard pressed to find fault here, it's a really, really relaxing destination.
Going out I'd make the effort to go to back into town and have dinner at the Chedi Hotel. The restaurant design and food are absolutely gorgeous.

Room Tip: Definitely make sure you have a room with pool and ocean views- otherwise you entirely missed the po...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank huia8

Dear huiaB, Thank you for your detailed description on the journey to the resort and the arrival experience. The last 7 kilometers to the resort has some of the most stunning scenery in Muscat and worth the drive out to any visitors regardless of which hotel they have chosen. I will share your feedback on the food served at the resort with the kitchen team and thank you for the complementary feedback. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed with family and friends at the hotel over Christmas and New Year.
Each and every member of the staff were very passionate and did such a tremendous job in tending to our needs. It was so refreshing to see them smiling as they went about their business . All our friends and family who stayed at the Shangri La during the same period had something wonderful to say that I am already anticipating my next trip.
Everything from the children's party and the presents on Christmas day, to the finale on New Years Eve was outstanding, my only regret was that I could not stay longer.
Housekeeping were very prompt and the beds would be done by the time we came back from breakfast. The kids activities were amazing. From round the clock kids club, to the other facilities like the childrens cinema with popcorn and drinks, crazy golf, soft play area plus many more activities.
In our group we had different dietary requirements... they were all taken care of during one of the busiest times of the year. The piano bar was ideal for pre dinner drinks while the kids were at the cinema. I would highly recommend restaurant Asia and the Tapas bar in the courtyard. The fireworks and the Gala dinner was like being in heaven! All the staff did an amazing job with professional service throughout.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Raj F
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Raj F, Thank you for staying with us over the Christmas holidays and taking your time to write your positive review on the resort. Your review is perfect timing as we are just starting to plan for the Christmas/New Year holiday now and your feedback will be useful when deciding what to keep doing and what to make better. Hopefully you and your family will deiced to return to us this year. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Upon arrival, we had booking problem with the room. I specifically asked for no smoking room as I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. The first room they gave me smelled of cigarettes. I asked to change the room. The second room also had a similar problem. I asked to change but was refused as there was no more Deluxe King's in the hotel. I asked for an upgrade then as this was not my problem, but they refused. After 6 hours of driving from Dubai to Muscat, and having arrived at 3am, i was too tired and frustrated to argue with anyone. I was just shocked that your staff can be so cold-hearted. I had a terrible sleep that night.

The bathroom shower kept leaking water into the outside. It required a couple of towels on the outside to soak up the water. Other than that, the room was pretty clean.

The resort itself was pretty spectacular and the beach/pool was beautiful. The water was clear and the snorkeling itself was awesome. Lots of wildlife to be seen underwater and the beach offers great water activities, however they are a bit pricey. I think it a snorkeling trip was around 80 OR.

The food was pretty good too… Our breakfast was very delicious with lots of variety and our dinner (seafood night) left us all in food coma.

The resort is clean and the facilities are great. The food is excellent and the beach is clean. My only compliant is that the staff are pretty clueless. They don't really understand the concept of customer service. The only person that seemed to care and help us was Ms. Hind Arabia, the floor manager. Hind, thank you for making our stay pleasurable.

She gave us free dinner and a room upgrade as well as a late checkout for our horrible arrival experience.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the lower floor as they are near the pool/beach as well as the restaurant.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank akmokdad

Dear akmokdad, Thank you for sharing your feedback with the readers of TripAdvisor. Please accept my apologies for the poor arrival experience. I am happy to read the Duty Manager Ms. Hind did resolve this issue for you and offer you a late check out to make up for the inconvenience. On a positive note I am delighted you enjoyed the resort and the facilities and thank you for highlighting the quality of food served. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

After saving up for some time, we spent a week at this resort. It is the worst 5star hotel I have ever stayed at.

Room: Bird excrement on the balcony, mould on the bed headboards.

Resort: its not as well kept as you would expect for the price. Grass overgrown around the sunloungers, fly infestation at the restaurants, and terribly chewing chicken at lunch.

I will not be recommending this resort to any friends or family.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank iloveessex

Dear iloveessex, Thank you for taking your time to review the resort in regards to your recent visit. Please except my sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced during your visit. I would appreciate if you could provide me with some additional feedback directly at mark.kirk@shangri-la.com as your constructive feedback would certainly help us improve our services and facilities. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 3 June 2014

All in all a beautiful hotel in an amazing location with spectacular views of the mountain and the sea. We spent three nights at the Al Waha resort and overall had a lovely time. There was a slight hitch when we checked in because there were no king size beds available except on the ground floor, the room windows of which are at ground level and thus less privacy. We then agreed to have two single beds pushed together on a higher floor which was done immediately.

The breathtaking view of the mountains and the sea from the balcony was one of the clear highlights of our break and we enjoyed having tea and dinner on the balcony, drinking in the spectacular scenery.

The breakfast choices available were impressive and the service was very good but on arrival at breakfast a couple of times we were not allowed to enter the breakfast room at all because it was stated to be 'full' but on entering the room for breakfast there were a few empty tables dotted around the room. This was not a problem in itself because breakfast is a very busy time but we found the manner of a particular member of staff quite condescending and rude on two separate occasions when barring us from entering the room. This behaviour does not befit such a hotel but I will say the rest of the service we received at the hotel was great.

The highlight of the whole stay was walking on the beach after sunrise and watching the newly hatched baby turtles waddle into the sea to return in 20 years time to lay their own eggs; this was an experience we will treasure forever. We loved Muscat and will definitely return again at some point and would book here again but maybe in another of the hotels.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank safya14

Dear Safya, Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor in regards to your recent visit. Like other who have reviewed the resort I am delighted to read you experienced turtles hatching during your visit. Thank you for the positive feedback on the food and variety offered at breakfast. Please except my apologies for the way the staff greeted you at breakfast which I will certainly discuss with the team. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barr Al Jissah
Sheraton Oman Hotel
Sheraton Oman Hotel
#1 of 59 in Muscat
Radisson Blu Hotel, Muscat

Been to Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!