Shangri-La Al Husn Resort & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$375
US$253
US$372
US$279
HotelQuickly
US$81
US$76
Golden Oasis Hotel(Muscat Governorate)
US$57
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
TripAdvisor
1,960 results
All reviewsafternoon teaal husnprivate beachsorbetpre dinner drinksother hotelscocktail hourcool boxsultanah restaurantcomplimentary mini barfacial sprayinfinity poolsoft drinkscapri courtbait al bahrcold towelsevian spray
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Marvellous hotel and facilities - we have just returned from a week stay to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary. Very relaxing stay and totally chilled out - no kids is a huge advantage as the pool and surroundings were nicely quiet. Service was a little sparse at first but we put that done to a full hotel over the Easter period. After the weekend , could not fault it - food was excellent, and nothing was too much trouble - we felt the staff were there to make the stay as comfortable as possible - and it worked - would recommend highly to anybody.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Tonyandzanny
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Al Husn is normally a favourite. Expensive but worth it. Sadly, this time we left feeling let down, condescended to and generally ticked off. In an excellent initiative the hotel had arranged for Michelin starred chef Alfredo Russo to do some events and we booked in for it particularly because of that. We do accept that what followed may be unusual for the Al Husn and the Shangri La brand generally but you are only as good as your last scalp as they say. The booking process was clumsy and the confirmation email was wrong as to advertised price, the dinner (we booked the gourmet dinner but the booking referred to a buffet) and the location of the dinner. On arrival it was a surprise to the check-in staff that there was a dinner and only after being a little assertive were we told that yes indeed there was a dinner but in a different hotel and implied that as a special favour they had fitted us in but we must eat at the time they specified. No apology for their error.

Sadly it got worse, the dinner was decent enough, some of it very good in fact, but the service was so far from Michelin level as to be on another planet. I felt sorry for our waitress as she was so clearly out of her depth and seemed to have no senior backup at all. It was all a bit of a comedy really which could, under different circumstances, been an experience in itself but we had been looking forward to a serious food experience. The free Alfredo Russo cookbook that came as a part of the dinner was inscribed to my surname followed by my first name (as, for example, "Dear Mr Smith Fred..) which simply reached the point were a disappointing dinner became a fiasco. I returned the cookbook with an inscription of my own! There were a number of other shortfalls such as apparently we could have had our choice of the menu rather than the set menu but no one had a clue. I was quite pointed about my views on departure and to their credit a manager was very solicitous.

The next morning we were approached at breakfast by a senior F&B executive who was again solicitous and initially helpful but as the discussion wore on it was clear that we peasants simply did not understand food really and the condescension level was astounding. No doubt not the intent and we were certain that the intent was good but the actual message conveyed was that we clearly had not understood Chef Alfredo's food and it just ensured that we left really annoyed. To their credit were were invited to attend the dinner the following night as the guests of the F&B executive but we declined lest our food ignorance embarrass us yet again! We were also, to be fair, offered a late check out "as long as you like" (but in reality as we were pointedly told the room keys had been extended only until then) and a replacement free cookbook (which never arrived). It will take some time before I get over that experience. All of that said, the hotel and its staff have always been favourites with us and I am sure this was an isolated series of incidents.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mogowl
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Al Husn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Magowl, Thank you for posting your feedback on your stay and dining experience with Alfredo Russo at the resort recently. I have spoken to Ilias my Executive Assistant Manager who you spoke to during your stay at the resort and he assures me he did not mean any offence with the way he handled your feedback during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment caused during the visit and I can assure you we will restore your confidence in the resort should you decide to return for another weekend getaway from the city of Muscat. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is really one of the best hotel I have ever stayed. Even though it is a little bit far away from the airport (roughly 50 minutes) the location is superb. It is peaceful and relaxing. The rooms are very comfortable and well decorated.. There are many restaurants in the complex but the ones in AlHusn are best. The breakfast is perfect. You can find anything that you can imagine from suchi to Arabic mezes.The service was typical Shangri La service. We spent 4 lovely and relaxing days which was not enough. The sea was also very nice. I hope I will be able to return this lovely hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: Try to select a sea view room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank altanbak
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Al Husn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear altanbak, Thank you for posting your feedback on the Al Husn in regards to your recent visit to Muscat. I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay and that you are planning to return in the future. Thank you for your complementary feedback on the restaurants and the breakfast choices, Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Easily one of the "stand-out" most relaxing, sumptuous, luxurious weekends we've ever had. Would not hesitate to go again tomorrow and have recommended this to anyone visiting Muscat.
Delicious, plentiful breakfast, lunch and dinner, excellent wine choices, beautiful beaches, wonderful rooms, unrivalled service - a complete end-to-end delight.

Room Tip: Sea view are lovely
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SabN360

Dear NSabrinaG, Thank you for spending the weekend with us and recommending the resort to the readers of TripAdvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I guess from reading your review you will be returning soon and we look forward to welcoming you back. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 nights on our Honeymoon, visited Dubai first and then here. The hotel is stunning, hidden away in the mountains. Very peaceful and relaxing for couples.

Its about an hours drive from the city and theres not much to do in Oman, very different from the hustle and bustle in Dubai.

The hotel food we found was a bit bland.. We ordered from KFC and they delivered to us.

The pools are amazing and huge, you can use all 3 pools and there interlinked with a great lazy river. Not much of a beach.
The view from the hotel is amazing.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank FatimaSohail

Dear FatimaSohail, Thank you for celebrating you honeymoon with us and congratulations. Like others who have reviewed the resort I am delighted you enjoyed the pools and the lazy river which has certainly become a feature of the resort. Hopefully you will choose the resort to celebrate your anniversaries in the future. Warm regards, Mark Kirk