Shangri-La Al Husn Resort & Spa
US$325
HotelsClick
US$81
US$76
Golden Oasis Hotel(Muscat Governorate)
US$57
US$65
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,960 results
All reviewsafternoon teaal husnprivate beachsorbetpre dinner drinksother hotelscocktail hourcool boxsultanah restaurantcomplimentary mini barfacial sprayinfinity poolsoft drinkscapri courtbait al bahrcold towelsevian spray
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We needed to be spoilt ... and we were. The private beach, the view of the sea from the bath ... just what was needed. And the Library was so peaceful. The staff were lovely and friendly too. If you really need to pamper yourself, have a massage at the Chi Spa ... I didn't want to leave.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaurenceRamsay
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri-La Al Husn Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear LaurenceRamsay, Thank you for sharing your feedback with the fans of TripAdvisor. I am happy to read that you managed to relax and enjoy the peaceful surroundings of Al Husn and also appreciate your recommendation to others for the Chi Spa. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Although this was my third visit to the Al Husn its likely to be my last. The cost cutting, lack of service, and staff motivation is evident; making this at most a 3 star hotel, or 3.5 if I'm being very generous.

Firstly my request for a DVD player on check-in had to be repeated twice again before I received it two days later.

The bathroom products weren't replaced when used up. This, and a bath mat was used and on my second day and never replaced. Ditto, the mini bar was restocked haphazardly with drinks consumed on the first two days never replaced. Glasses used were rinsed in water and not washed in detergent. This policy will result in guest sickness!!

Not 5 star service

In addition the maid service will also leave handwritten notes asking for an endorsement..

The cool boxes in the pool area used to contain an Evian water spray - a treat in temperatures of 110F. I was told that the hotel management had decided to stop supplying these.

The food and drinks service was very patchy with only a handful of experienced staff. A room service Salade Niçoise consisted of tuna , egg and a plate of undressed lettuce - no, potatoes, anchovy, green beans or tomatoes as detailed in the menu.

Given it was a holiday - I found having to send things back annoying and slightly stressful and in the end I just resolved never to return.

Sad because my first two visits were very good. Also there is no acknowledgement that you're a returning visitor - the same forms requesting home address and contact details have to be filled in.

All in all a very poor hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Emma C

Dear Emma C, Thank you for taking your time to review the resort on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to read that you felt the standards had significantly dropped from previous visits. In regards to the Evian spray this was temporally unavailable but is now back in the cool boxes. Additionally this year we will add Nespreso machines as well as docking stations to all guest rooms to upgrade our guest services. I certainly appreciate your constructive feedback which I will discuss with the managers concerned. Hopefully you will change your mind and decide to return and then we will have an opportunity to restore your confidence in the resort. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice place withe kids check in quickly nice breakfast everything ok beach safety swimmingpool thank you mrs Nadia from reception my son birthday send cake for him hotel give you drinking water all day free thank you for all staff i never forget this resort

Stayed: May 2014

Dear Shroka1, Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor in regards to your stay at Al Waha within the Shangri-La. I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay and your son enjoyed his birthday at the resort. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 7 May 2014

In Oman not too far from the bustling city of Muscat you’ll find The Shangri La Barr al Jissah. The resort is, in a word. impressive. It is a massive structure hewn out of the side of a mountain facing a peaceful cove and an expansive beach on the Sea of Oman. The views are breathtaking.

The Shangri La Barr Al Jissah is actually three hotels created to accommodate the different needs of its clients from business travelers to families. The Al Husn hotel is their five star property with all of the services and amenities the most demanding clients could desire. The palatial Al Husn is indeed as its name implies: a suitably exclusive castle. You immediately feel that you have walked into a real Arabian palace.

Date palms and traditional Dhofari architecture remind you that you are in Arabia. As you enter you’ll pass the valeted Ferraris, Bentley, and Rolls Royces which indicates the type of property and experience you’re about to have. After the doorman smiles and welcome you, you’ll enter an impressive foyer. Polished marble walkways lead to water fountains and a large Majlis sitting area. Omanis as well as foreigners sit on plush couches talking and taking afternoon tea.

Beyond the entrance is the expansive courtyard around a wading pool . Its evening when we arrive and in the courtyard are the , the 30s, 40s, and 50 somethings enjoying the complimentary happy hour. Every day at dusk the couples congregate with cocktails and canapés while chatting with friends and making new travel acquaintances.

The 180 rooms and suites Al Husn Hotel offers Shangri-La's highest level of service, amenities and privileges with an inviting décor inspired by royal Arabian palaces and accented by authentic Omani artworks. There is a private a 100-metre beach, as well as enjoy complimentary mini-bar, daily complimentary afternoon tea and pre-dinner cocktails and canapés service.

Our accommodations are beyond first rate. Arabian-inspired décor with gorgeous views of the Gulf of Oman and a large room and elegant furnishings. The bathroom has Italian marble, large walk in closet, dressing area and large bath and separate shower and dressing area. There are services galore from complimentary shoe shine to WiFi. There is also a complimentary mini bar with provided and restocked daily…they’ve thought of it all.

The balcony was also impressive and really an outdoor living space. There was a sitting area along with a table for afternoon room service. It is the perfect place to take in the views of the sea or to relax while sunbathing.

Shangri-La's Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa, Sultanate of Oman offers a wide choice of restaurants at each of the three hotels. We chose to dine at the Shahrazad restaurant which is the only authentic Moroccan restaurant in Muscat. We were welcomed by the rich fabric and deep colors of Shahrazad’s interiors and the live Moroccan music we were set for our culinary adventure. Having spent time in Morocco and knowing many of the dishes there, I was ready to compare my experience at Sharahzad with my experiences in Morocco. They did not disappoint.

The friendly waiter shared with us his recommendations and the specials of the day. We soon discovered that he was from Morocco as was the chef and many of the staff. We had a chance to speak with their chef .“Moroccans are proud of their cuisine,” says Chef Mohammed Ettaib. He explains, “Each dish has a mythical or religious significance that creates a rich culinary tradition, and every major dish has a story or a festival attached to it. The sharing of meals is regarded as one of the most important pillars of society, indicating a strong sense of togetherness in the family or tribe.”

Two dishes that Morocco is known for is Tangine and Cous Cous. So with that we settled on the Lamb Tajine Tfaya which is a slow-cooked aromatic stew, braised at a very low temperature to achieve the most tender meat. You’ll taste the sweet prunes along with the spices of cinnamon, turmeric, giner and saffron. We also chose the Cous Cous Sbaa Khodar which is a traditional favorite, this cous cous is perfect for vegetarians. The aroma, taste and presentation were excellent and with the setting and service, it was the perfect dining experience.

Their breakfast was also on par with a five star hotel. It had everything you could imagine from pastries, to sushi, to American pancakes and a full English breakfast.

Another really nice touch was the afternoon tea service. Sitting out on the expansive terrace, you’ll receive your canapé tray of various sandwiches and pastries and the selections of teas and drinks. It was complimentary making it another delightful surprise.

The location of the property facing the Sea of Oman is striking, the beach is refreshing with its gentle waves creating a place to frolic like a child. There is also a private beach for Al Husn where nattily dressed beach boys at the ready to bring you a cool drink or fresh towel. As if the ocean wasn’t enough, another refreshing option is the large infinity edge pool. Like everything else it is huge and amazing.

The hotel offers so much to do, not to mention the art gallery and other services provide at the adjacent hotels in the complex. This is after all Shangri La so the have the renown Chi spa which allows guests to enjoy the privacy and luxury of the largest spa villas in Muscat. From the calm serenity of the Spa’s welcoming inner sanctum, guests can enjoy the experience of the unique CHI Water Oasis, featuring a vitality hydro pool, a herbal steam room, tundra and tropical showers, an ice fountain and a relaxation area.

Away from the property, there are countless outdoor activities from exploring Muscat, to activities in an on the water, all of which can all be arranged by the concierge.

What brings it all together is the professional and friendly staff. I find Oman to be one of the most genuinely friendly destinations in the Middle East. From the stranger who gives directions to the shopkeeper in the souq, Omani are sincerely friendly people. So when it comes to the staff at the hotel, they are torchbearers of the warmth of Omani hospitality. And it is that warm that really makes the stay at the amazing Al Husn hotel in the Shangri La Barr Al Jissah, an experience to cherish and to easily recommend.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room facing the sea. The views are incredible. Also don't miss out on the tea service at 4 and the pre dinner canapes and cocktails at 6. Didn't know about it until our third day!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Glenn H

Dear Glenn H, Thank you for the lovely review you have posted on TripAdvisor. I have shared your post with my communications team as you have made some great descriptions of our products and services from a guest point of view. I hope you don’t mind if we copy some of your review points for future press releases. I really appreciate you highlighting that it’s the staff that bring this magical experience altogether as it’s the relationships these staff build up with our guests that make the lasting impressions. Thanks you for recommending the resort and I hope you decide to return. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I am a bit late in writing my review but better late then never...

All I can say is amazing!

If you want 5* this is 6*, we only stayed for. 3 night but it felt like a week.
Amazing room, beach, staff, afternoon tea so lushhh.
Everything was amazing not one thing to fault. Even on the beach you get cold flan given to you along with water, ice cream yumm.

Was the best hotel ever and I don't think we will get this again from any other 5* hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zara K

Dear Zara K, Congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for celebrating your honeymoon with us last August. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you convince your husband to celebrate you anniversaries with us in the future. Warm regards, Mark Kirk