“1st time and it was awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! review for June 2011”
Review of Border View Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Baudette
Border View Lodge
indianapolis
“1st time and it was awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! review for June 2011”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Decided to take my two boys to borderview lodge in June of 2011. I had never been to a resort that catered to fishing, nor have I ever fished the Lake of the woods.....frankly I am a terrible fisherman and rarely do it. But my boys love it. So we stay for 3 nights in the first week of June 2011 and booked a 2 bedroom cabin and 2 9hr charters. The cabin is basic which was fine. The guide/captain of the charter was outstanding...Wish I could remember his name, but he did an outstanding job. We always caught our limit by noon. He knew each day where the fish would be. We had a great time.....I have no negatives about this place.....as a matter of fact, I will be there next week for a week this time. June 18-23rd 2012.......hope the walleyes are biting as good as they were in 2011!

Room Tip: try and book a cabin that is on the river
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ironranger

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bloomington
Reviewed 5 February 2012

From the moment we arrived we knew we picked the right place. From the Bartender and waitstaff to the Guides everyone treated us fantastic. We paid a little more than other places but got what we paid for! Food was incredible! Fishing was great and the houses are nice and clean, actually like brand new. Also on the lake were heated outhouses that were a big hit with our group.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ray A
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My family and I have been staying at Borderview for years and always are pleased with the accommodations, staff, guides and owners. They really go out of there way to make our time with them enjoyable. Food is great. Atmosphere in bar/restaurant is a nice atmosphere I feel good about bringing my family into. Would certainly recommend Borderview.

Room Tip: Choose between cabins and hotel rooms
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Joe H
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 20 June 2011

My Dad recently retired so I called and reserved a guided walleye fishing trip for him and me at this lodge based on an advertisement in our local paper. I'm not a experienced fisherman, and the ad indicated it was a package that included guided fishing, equipment, bait and fish cleaning. My Dad drove over 4 hours to get to my place in Sioux Falls and we drove another 8 hours to get to the lodge. When we checked in, I pulled out my credit card to hand the owner and he indicated "Don't worry about that now, we'll just take care of everything at the end." Not being an experienced fisherman and never having done a guided fishing trip, I didn't think to ask specifically about a license.

About midway through our second day of fishing, a conservation officer pulled up beside our boat and asked the guide how many fish we had and asked to see our licenses. I indicated ours were back at the cabins because I thought they were part of the package. The conservation officer took down our names and information, indicating he would follow up with us at the lodge later if there were any issues. As the conservation officer left, I told our guide that I thought our licenses were part of the package and he indicated that he didn't think they were but we should talk to the owner. When we arrived back at the lodge, the owner said "Oh no, you have to buy the license separately." So upon his recommendation we purchased licenses immediately, even though we were done fishing.

I asked the owner to call the conservation officer, assuming he would explain to the officer that this was an honest misunderstanding and that we thought the license was included. The owner indicated that he would call and talk with the conservation officer. Three days later, my Dad and I both received citations in the mail for fishing without licenses---the fine was $185 apiece. I immediately called and left a message for the owner of the lodge to call me back. He didn't return my call, so I called him again a day later and told him that we received citations in the mail, again asking him to call the conservation officer and explain the situation to him. The owner indicated, "Well, once he issues a citation there's not much you can do." I asked him if he would try and talk to him anyway and he indicated he would try.

I didn't hear anything back from the owner, so I called and left a couple of messages for the conservation officer myself. He didn't respond to my messages, so I sent the conservation officer a letter indicating what had happened and I called the prosecutor's office for the local court to explain the situation to them. The prosecutor's office indicated they would look into it and get back to me---this past Friday afternoon, a day after I talked with the prosecutor's office, the conservation officer called me and indicated he had received my letter and after speaking with his supervisor, they were waiving the citations.

Long story short, I did have a good time fishing with my Dad; the cabin, the guides, the meals and the wait staff were all decent; but I did not appreciate the owner's lack of concern for our situation and I won't recommend this lodge to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family