“Average Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Milaca, Minnesota, United States
“Average Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

The hotel was fine. The waterpark was lots of fun for the kids. There are two large waterslides, one is open and ends in about a foot of water. The other was a large enclosed tube slide, and it was fun and fast. The indoor/outdoor hot tub was good, but there is such a heavy fountain spray on one side you loose about four seats. The outdoor part was very small and is in the parking lot, so it wasn't very relaxing. The staff was fine, they did accommodate our request with our last minute reservation to be near another family member. The only room available was the king whirlpool suite, and it was very spacious. They have/are trying to do the "northwoods theme", but it's kind of half hearted. I saw some random pine branches tied to things in the waterpark, and there was effort in the rooms, but it just felt generic. I think that's a good description for the whole hotel. Breakfast was okay, too crowded. The beds, though, were very uncomfortable for all of us--from us in the king size bed to the people in the room next to us with two queens. Very hard!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
First I want say thank you for the nice comments about the waterpark, I'm happy to hear your children enjoyed the experience. I'm also happy to hear we were able to grant your last minute request to get your room near your friends. We set our standards very high so that every guest has a nice time and tells their friends to come give us a try. The outdoor hot tub is one of the features we get the most compliments because it's so relaxing to be warm as toast and comfortable even during the coldest Minnesota winter. The beds are brand new, top of the line Serta pillow tops that most people rave about but I'll be the first to admit they are on the firm side and don't have that super softness some people have at home. Average is definatly a term we don't like to hear, it may be ok at some places but we aim much higher. In fact we were just winners of a Trip Advisor Superior Property award which puts us in their top 10% customer service properties world wide. I sincerly hope we are able to please you better on a future stay. Thank you for being our guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

I love this Comfort Suites in particular for its indoor/outdoor hottub, nice smaller waterpark, & close proximity to one of my favorite restaurants in MN (Prairie Bay). The lobby/breakfast area are cozy & woodsy with a fireplace & many nice touches at breakfast. My son & I were staying mid-week/off-season when the waterpark was closed. I noted this when booking online & my son was disappointed, but we still wanted to stay here. Very glad we did, as we got a call from the hotel earlier in the day to make sure we knew the waterpark was closed during our stay. They even offered us an upgrade to the whirlpool suite. My son thoroughly enjoyed that after a long day! We have been here when the waterpark is open & really like that too! It is smaller & less crowded than a couple others here in town.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you for the great review. Returning to a hotel for multiple stays is the highest form of compliment we can recieve, it means a lot to us. One of my partners is the owner of Prairie Bay so he'll see your comment also. We are very thankfull to have a restaraunt of that caliber right in our parking lot, they have been written up in many State and Regional articals for their world class cuisine and have never let us down. The water park opens all week again on Memorial Day weekend, I hope you come back and stay with us again.
Bemidji, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

We liked the location. Walking distance to Grizzley's. Kind of right in the middle of the main strip in Baxter. The hotel had a cabin feel to it. lots of log furniture. The pool is closed during the week during slow season, that was a bummer. But they did tell us while we were booking so that was a plus. We would stay there again!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you for the positive review, I'll let Grizzley's know you enjoyed your time with them also. This also gives me a chance to commend you for calling us directly or using Choicehotels.com to make your reservation.During the off season or when the Indoor Water Park is closed for maintenance it's information we can relay to you. That's not always the case with online companies and can be a major dissappointment when you come, good job. I hope you stay with us again on your next trip through the area. Mark
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

We have been to other waterparks in the area and this one is definitely smaller, but it was actually nice to have less of a crowd. Our boys (4 and 7) loved the 2 water slides and all the other parts of the waterpark. The rooms were nice with fridge and microwave. Breakfast was comparable to all the other continental breakfasts offered at similar hotels. Arcade was small, not much to choose from. But the pool/waterpark was the highlight of the weekend anyway. Great for our last minute getaway.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Like the review right by you that weekend was one of the busiest of the weekend so your comments are especially appreciated and encouraging for our entire staff. You are right in the fact that our waterpark is a bit smaller but so is our hotel and I think thats what gives us a slight advantage. For the most part all Minnesota water parks have basically the same features so when you and your family can enjoy them in a less crowded enviornment can be a big plus. I think one of our biggest positives is the fact that parents can sit all the way around the kiddies part of the park. Many parents have commented on how safe that made them feel, I'm sure you know how fast your 4 year old can dissappear from your sight. It sure is fun watching the younger kids in there though isn't it? I think those are family memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you for being our guest, hope you can return soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed in the bunk-bed suite; great room. The staff was very friendly and did a great job of accommodating us so we got into our room early. We spent lots of time at the water park which was very nice; with the exception the do not enforce the young children in the hot tub and it was very wild. At one point I was the only adult with 10 to 12 kids under the age of 12 in the hot tub.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the great review. The bunkbed room you were in is our most popular family room and it's nice to hear you enjoyed the water park. You were here on one of the busiest, bonkers, winter weekends so when I hear good comments like yours they really do mean a lot. Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

I stay at a lot of Choice Hotels and am a Choice member. Due to my member status I was upgraded to a suite with a jacuzzi tub. The room was large and clean. The lady at the front desk that greeted me was nice and helpful when it came to restaurant choices. The free breakfast was average but will do just fine. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. Our staff tries very hard to treat every guest in our hotel like a guest in our homes. Hope you can return soon.
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

I first reviewed this hotel late last summer, and I have stayed there several times since then. It is still a very nice hotel with a great restaurant (Prairie Bay) just across the parking lot. I want to add a word of caution to anyone with perfume/odor allergies. The carpet in the rooms is cleaned frequently, probably because of people coming in from the water park; and the cleaner has a very strong aroma. Also, I have had the experience a couple times of the carpet still being damp when I checked in. When I mentioned it to the desk attendant, I was told it was from cleaning and that it would dry eventually. It did dry, but I couldn't walk around the room with socks on until it did.

Room Tip: If you have perfume allergies, be sure the carpet wasn't recently cleaned. The odor dissipates...