“Nice time”

Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Wasn't much to choose from in this area less than three weeks out from our arrival date so had to go with this property. Was a little skeptical as all the other motels in the area were essentially full for the weekend I wanted. Needed a couple of rooms for family including a 2 year old grandson. I didn't need to be concerned. The rooms were good sized, clean and felt fairly new. The attached water park had something for everyone and was perfect for our situation. Staff was pleasant. Breakfast was OK. Location was good with plenty of shopping and eating in close proximity. We were on the third floor and there was no problem with noise. I would do it again. Rates are up there but competitive for the time of year.

Room Tip: Third floor was a good choice for us.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Jeff, thank you so much for taking the time to do a review. As you said, this area can get very full thru the summer months so checking ahead and securing reservations is a good idea. I don't think a hotel can get a better compliment than friendly and clean, we're very proud of our housekeeping staff and I'm glad it shows. As a grandfather myself I'm sure you enjoyed watching your 2 year old in the water park. I think it's one of those memories that either of you will ever forget. Many times I get asked if younger children can enjoy the park and my answer is always the same-"You'll both have a ball". We have the big slides and outdoor hot tub for the bigger kids and adults but the kiddies end never gets tiring to watch. It's that look of pure exitement that brings a smile to everyone around. Thank you for being our guest, I hope you can return soon. Mark

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My fiancée and I wanted a nice, overnight getaway with something to do, which this property definitely fulfills. We absolutely LOVED the indoor/outdoor hot tub! It's large enough to fit a lot of people and still be able to have a private conversation. The waterpark area is nicely sized for younger and older kids like. I do wish there were a calmer pool area for just swimming, but that's the point of this waterpark.

The tube slide was pretty fun, but the body slide was a little harsh. Then again, maybe I'm just too old for it now! The lazy river with the waterfalls was really fun. There's also a basketball area in the 'older' kids section.

The room was out of this world! I felt like I'd stepped into an old, comfy log cabin on the lake. I felt right at home. It was a suite, so we had a bit more space than normal, but everything was updated and modern. I felt like I was the first person to sleep in that room. I can't wait to stay again!

Room Tip: Anything on the back side of the building, not facing the waterpark is quieter, though I didn't...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

First off-congratulations on your engagement! I was able to take a weeks vacation last week and to come back to a wonderfull review like yours was very exciting. I agree also that the slides do get going a little too fast for this old guy but the kids go up and down so many times it's incredable. The indoor/outdoor hot tub is one of our best features and it sure sounds like you agree. Thank you so much for staying with us and making my, and my staff's, Monday so much brighter. I hope you can return soon. Mark

Reviewed 23 June 2013

A lovely north woods atmosphere with a friendly staff. The rooms are decorated in a north woods fishing style. Our stay was quiet and restfull. The free breakfast was above standard. We pecan not wait to use this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

And we can't wait to have you back! Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We really do try to go the extra mile to treat you like a guest in our own homes, I'm so glad it shows. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

The hotel was fine. The waterpark was lots of fun for the kids. There are two large waterslides, one is open and ends in about a foot of water. The other was a large enclosed tube slide, and it was fun and fast. The indoor/outdoor hot tub was good, but there is such a heavy fountain spray on one side you loose about four seats. The outdoor part was very small and is in the parking lot, so it wasn't very relaxing. The staff was fine, they did accommodate our request with our last minute reservation to be near another family member. The only room available was the king whirlpool suite, and it was very spacious. They have/are trying to do the "northwoods theme", but it's kind of half hearted. I saw some random pine branches tied to things in the waterpark, and there was effort in the rooms, but it just felt generic. I think that's a good description for the whole hotel. Breakfast was okay, too crowded. The beds, though, were very uncomfortable for all of us--from us in the king size bed to the people in the room next to us with two queens. Very hard!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

First I want say thank you for the nice comments about the waterpark, I'm happy to hear your children enjoyed the experience. I'm also happy to hear we were able to grant your last minute request to get your room near your friends. We set our standards very high so that every guest has a nice time and tells their friends to come give us a try. The outdoor hot tub is one of the features we get the most compliments because it's so relaxing to be warm as toast and comfortable even during the coldest Minnesota winter. The beds are brand new, top of the line Serta pillow tops that most people rave about but I'll be the first to admit they are on the firm side and don't have that super softness some people have at home. Average is definatly a term we don't like to hear, it may be ok at some places but we aim much higher. In fact we were just winners of a Trip Advisor Superior Property award which puts us in their top 10% customer service properties world wide. I sincerly hope we are able to please you better on a future stay. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I love this Comfort Suites in particular for its indoor/outdoor hottub, nice smaller waterpark, & close proximity to one of my favorite restaurants in MN (Prairie Bay). The lobby/breakfast area are cozy & woodsy with a fireplace & many nice touches at breakfast. My son & I were staying mid-week/off-season when the waterpark was closed. I noted this when booking online & my son was disappointed, but we still wanted to stay here. Very glad we did, as we got a call from the hotel earlier in the day to make sure we knew the waterpark was closed during our stay. They even offered us an upgrade to the whirlpool suite. My son thoroughly enjoyed that after a long day! We have been here when the waterpark is open & really like that too! It is smaller & less crowded than a couple others here in town.

• Stayed: April 2013
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Thank you for the great review. Returning to a hotel for multiple stays is the highest form of compliment we can recieve, it means a lot to us. One of my partners is the owner of Prairie Bay so he'll see your comment also. We are very thankfull to have a restaraunt of that caliber right in our parking lot, they have been written up in many State and Regional articals for their world class cuisine and have never let us down. The water park opens all week again on Memorial Day weekend, I hope you come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We liked the location. Walking distance to Grizzley's. Kind of right in the middle of the main strip in Baxter. The hotel had a cabin feel to it. lots of log furniture. The pool is closed during the week during slow season, that was a bummer. But they did tell us while we were booking so that was a plus. We would stay there again!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for the positive review, I'll let Grizzley's know you enjoyed your time with them also. This also gives me a chance to commend you for calling us directly or using Choicehotels.com to make your reservation.During the off season or when the Indoor Water Park is closed for maintenance it's information we can relay to you. That's not always the case with online companies and can be a major dissappointment when you come, good job. I hope you stay with us again on your next trip through the area. Mark

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We have been to other waterparks in the area and this one is definitely smaller, but it was actually nice to have less of a crowd. Our boys (4 and 7) loved the 2 water slides and all the other parts of the waterpark. The rooms were nice with fridge and microwave. Breakfast was comparable to all the other continental breakfasts offered at similar hotels. Arcade was small, not much to choose from. But the pool/waterpark was the highlight of the weekend anyway. Great for our last minute getaway.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Like the review right by you that weekend was one of the busiest of the weekend so your comments are especially appreciated and encouraging for our entire staff. You are right in the fact that our waterpark is a bit smaller but so is our hotel and I think thats what gives us a slight advantage. For the most part all Minnesota water parks have basically the same features so when you and your family can enjoy them in a less crowded enviornment can be a big plus. I think one of our biggest positives is the fact that parents can sit all the way around the kiddies part of the park. Many parents have commented on how safe that made them feel, I'm sure you know how fast your 4 year old can dissappear from your sight. It sure is fun watching the younger kids in there though isn't it? I think those are family memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you for being our guest, hope you can return soon.