“Staff not as accommodating as they should have been”

Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Staff not as accommodating as they should have been”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

There was a large youth basketball tournament in Brainerd when we visited. The pool was unfortunately closed part of the time – please see the explanation later in this review. Given the situation, adults were trying to find a way to enjoy themselves in the lobby. There were probably 20 to 30 or more adults with from two or three cities crowding into the lobby. Several people asked the front desk person to allow people to use the serving room to better accommodate everyone. The staff refused to allow anyone to use the room. Whether it was due to a lack of authority to make the decision, policy, or the staff person's willingness to check with management; most people were very disappointed with the hotel's efforts to accommodate the adults during an unfortunate situation with the pool.

I do not know the full reason the pool was closed. Someone said the pool filter was clogged due to a glass clock falling into the pool after being hit by a kid’s ball. I'm guessing the clock was not glass given the potential danger but it should have nevertheless been fastened more securely. The staff suggested we could use the pool at another hotel. Given the large number of kids and the sub-zero temperatures, I asked if there was a room at the hotel that the kids could use for changing their clothes. The front desk staff person said there was not so I asked if she could see if the other hotel could make a room available for this purpose. She refused to entertain the idea and said that the kids could use the public bathroom at the other hotel to change. What parent would ever allow that and how could multiple kids make that work? Again, I sure what have thought better accommodations could have been made. I understand things can happen and the pool can close due to contamination or other reasons - but this made for a very difficult stay for both the adults and the kids.

Given the type of lodging (budget friendly), I don’t have the same expectations as upscale hotels. Nevertheless, the staff should have tried harder to find some way to have shown more action to accommodate its guests, and failing that, offered some way to show goodwill (some free pizzas, snacks, pop – it wouldn’t have had to have been much) to those staying at AmericInn. I think some small act of kindness would have gone a long way toward getting positive word of mouth and encouraging teams to stay there in the future.

Note - ratings are based on this type / price category of hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Deb B, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
I am so sorry that you feel we were not accommodating to your group during your recent stay with us. While the serving room only has one table with four chairs I do agree we should have allowed our guests to utilize this space.The safety of our guests come first, so our first reaction was to shut down the pool and clean up the area before anyone was injured. We strive on providing our guests with exception service and feel that we typically do a great job in this area. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations. We will use this experience as a lesson on how to handle things differently in the future. Thank you for letting us know where we have opportunities to improve upon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Deer River
Reviewed 20 January 2014

After checking in my family and I found our room to be a uncleaned room.
I called the front desk rite away and they said I would have to wait while they contacted there manager Deb, as they said they had no other rooms.After an hour of waiting my wife and I offered to clean the dirty room and change the linens, they would not allow us to do that. The front desk lady said her manager Deb was trying to get in contact with housekeeping. After telling them I made the reservation three weeks ago and that they should honor my reservation the manager Deb called the front desk girl and they made arrangement for us to stay at another hotel in Baxter owned by the same people.
We did get a hotel at a different location for a decent price. That still didn't fix things as we had family that were at this hotel and my wife and I and our children did not get to spend the evening together.
I would like to say that the front desk girl was as good as her manager would allow her to be and this whole horrible day points rite at the hotels general manager Deb.
I had emailed the general manager regarding my disappoint in the hotel and she replied back and said she was sorry and that mistakes are made as we all are humans. I will never attempt to stay at a americinn.
I travel every week, I am a diamond member in deltas FF program and a platinum elite member in the IHG program. Over many years of weekly travel throughout the world have never experienced such hurt and disappointment like americinn did to me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

First let me apologize for the inconvenience we caused you by placing you in the situation were you had to change hotels. I do understand that it would be disappointing to be separated from your family when your reservation was made to stay with us. While mistakes do happen we surely dropped the ball on this and should have handled things differently. We will be more conscious going forward as to how our decisions affect our guests.
Brainerd, Mn
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We reserved a few rooms for our family get together. Kids loved the pool and breakfast! We all had a fun time and enjoy ed the rooms very much. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Rooms are very quiet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Deb B, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thanks for staying with us in Baxter-we enjoy having families stay and have fun. Let us know when we can accomodate you in the future
Maplewood
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Reservation and check in is very fast. Staff are always great. The beds are very comfortable, with a clean room and great service. We go here to have a night of comfort after spending a week in a very roughing it style cabin each deer hunting season. Look forward to next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Deb B, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay-look forward to seeing you next year!!
White Swan
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Our check in was fast, even were able to give discount on the nights we stayed. All the staff friendly and helpful. It is close to shopping, dining, fast food, and entertainments. Easy access from main road, well lit parking and security. Room and beds were wonderful very comfortable. Even asked bed brand as Sister wanted a bed like the had in rooms. Breakfast was good, paper at door in morning, provided extra towels when asked. TV was clear and good sound. Staff was able to provide directions and had a map of area to take with you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Deb B, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
We are so glad we could help you with all your needs-quiet night rest is what we try to have for all our guests. Thanks for stayin with us and thank you for the wonderful comments.
Cedar, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Overall a nice stay....convenient to town and restaurants. I stayed in a jacuzzi suite, and it was very spacious and had a nice size refrigerator and microwave. The king size bed was comfortable, and the flat screen tv was a decent size. The only complaint I would have is that the jacuzzi tub had broken knobs, and for being a premium price room, I would expect the feature of the room to be in perfect working condition.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Deb B, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are in the middle of it all here in the Baxter area. Sorry if the knobs on the hot tub weren't functioning-will have it checked out.
Little Falls
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our stay was fantastic! The staff was great, the pool area clean, and the breakfast was amazing. I overheard others in the breakfast area raving about how much variety there was, and that it was nice to see there was hot food on the weekends! The beds were comfortable. I was a bit worried about how loud the kids and TV were, but then saw a flyer that said they had the sound proofing insulation (or something like that), and then had a chance to talk to the people next to us. Sure enough, all was well. This is a great place to have a family gathering. We even took our family Christmas picture in front of the fireplace!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

Deb B, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for the great reviews-we take pride in being a quiet night stay and am glad it worked for you. Please come and stay whenever you are in town. We won't let you down.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area? Share your experiences!