“"Home away from Home"”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We are staying here for one month. Our first week so far, I must say, has been so nice. The management and staff are helpful and kind. I have stayed for 4 yrs. at a "higher" rated place which was nice... however, I gotta say, I will be staying here from now on. I like the fresh cozy warm baked cookies in the front offered all the time, the coffee is on, and it is quiet! I cant take a lot of walks due to my back and so I love that everything is easy to get too. They allow the dog to be here and this has been the best that my dog can be here. There were other people with dogs, but you would never know it. I didn't hear any barking. The pool? wow... I don't care how big and fancy a pool is-if the water isn't warm- and this place.... caters to keeping it welcoming temperature so my back doesn't freeze up - I can do pool therapy, there are hardly any kids running around. The breakfast is as good as the other place we used to go to. Fresh fruit available at all times, cereal, juices, hot food in tins (eggs, ham, hard boiled eggs, etc...) bagels, donuts etc... The room was decent size and very clean and did not smell like pets. I liked that you can take a short walk on the property and it is woods. On the north side, you can walk to Menards and get out and meander if you don't have a car while the other person is gone. You are within steps same side of the road to the gas station- will anything you could need. Also, across the highway, is Starbucks, Subway, and Cherry...? cant remember-but I went in there to see it- it is a place def. to bring a bunch a kids lol! You walk in, and 1/3 of the wall is flavors of yogurt (choc. etc.. like 20 flavors), 1/3 was toppings... 1/3 was candy toppings etc....then you check out! I didn't eat there but I would def. bring my grand d there. The town of Nissuwa is 15 min north. Don't miss this town- find it and go there for a few hours... excellent tourist shopping.
There is a minigolf and go-cart place that looks really cool- havnt tried yet either.... its a cozy, cute place-ps. they have a on your honor system book selection- excellent I might add, that you can borrow, read, and return to the closest Country Inn Suites.... nice touch! One computer in the lobby- and laundry room, vending machines... ice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter

Reviewed 6 June 2013

I am a Diamond member with Hilton and stay 140 nights a year; 99% with Hilton. So, when I realized that there were no Hilton properties in the Brainerd/Baxter area I was a bit concerned. So, I ended up at this property and without further, unnecessary writing, I could not have been more pleased plus I have three more reservations here over the next five weeks.

It was very clean, which is most important to me, and very friendly. They even made the cookies a little more on the well done side just because I said I like them that way.

The only thing that I would call a negative and I hesitate to even write this, but on three separate occasions I tried to prompt the general manager to come out of her office and visit with me and she just did not get the hint. Since I am friends with many Hilton managers around the country I was just hoping to say hello to her. It was just odd.

Do NOT hesitate to stay here at all. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Karen R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you so much for your great review. I apologize for not coming out to greet you, I am sorry I did not get the hint. I will take it as a lesson learned, and look forward to meeting you on your next visit. I am thrilled to see that you booked more nights with us here at the Country Inn & Suites. We will be sure to bake you some more cookies. Thank you so much for your business.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Quick one night stay. Hotel staff was very friendly. Dottie at the front desk was so nice and helpful. Thank you Dottie. Also was nice complimentary breakfast. For the price we were very pleased. The hotel was a bit dated, but our room was quiet and clean. So important! If we make it back we will stay there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Karen R, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Really enjoyed our stay at the Country Inn and Suites in Baxter. Wonderful service by staff - very friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Pool area was clean and water was a good temperature in both the pool and hot tub. Complimentary breakfast was good. Would definitely stay again if the need arises.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed 2 weekend nights at this hotel. We have stayed here before & it is a good value, for the price through our corporate lodging card.
Every staff member that we encountered was more than nice & accommodating. It really was an example of customer service at it's best.
They have a nice free breakfast and the offer a "to go" breakfast bag if you can't make it or you need to eat on the run. We asked for 2 of these bags each day for our teenagers who wanted t sleep in. The gal was so nice & asked what they would like in it (donuts or muffins, hard boiled egg or not,) Really, everyone that we encountered had that home town kindness about them.
Check out time is 12 noon and we loved the extra hour, as most places are 11am.
There isn't an elevator in this hotel, so if stairs are a problem, ask for the 1st floor.
The pool is small, but it works.
The rooms are adequate with a small frig (the door bar was broken so we couldn't easily put our beverages in it), a microwave & a coffee maker.
There is a table to work on & a comfy chair to read in. A light behind the chair would have been nice as it's a bit dark in the corner.
We like this hotel & will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem for you, ask for a1st floor room as there is no elevator in this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Clean serviceable rooms, good internet access in room, passable free breakfast-- all for very reasonable price. For business, I found this a much more efficient place to stay than one of the local resorts.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2012

All of the staff went above and beyond to make my husband and I comfortable. They were very accommodating and helpful. Room was clean and bed was comfy. There was a nice view of a woodsy area. We appreciated the variety of tv channels available. We'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business