“Another beautiful Baxter/ Gull Lake weekend”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Saint Paul, United States
“Another beautiful Baxter/ Gull Lake weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have cabin dwelling friends that we visit annually in Nisswa,MN. The Maddens resort is much closer to our friends .However, we prefert to get away from the group sometimes for romance or a quiet early breakfast. The Country Inn always meets our simple needs.It is quiet for resting, has great hous at the pool/whirlpool 6am to midnight, plus the breakfast is good for meat-eaters and vegetarians in our family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

Karen R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your getaway with us and hope you come back real soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I stayed here for one night while traveling on business. The reviews on Trip Advisor were mostly favorable, so I thought it would be a safe choice.
The problems started when I drove up to the building. There are several entrances and none of them is designated as the lobby. I drove all around the building before I could figure out which door was the main entrance.
When I got to my room it was freezing! Apparently housekeeping had turned up the A/C unit and left if running all day, even though it was rather cool outside. I immediately turned the A/C off and tried to turn on the heat, but all I got from the wall unit was more cold air. There was no way to warm up the room and it stayed cold the entire night.
I started to watch some TV, but after about 15 minutes the cable went out. When I and several other guests went down to the lobby to find out what had happened, we were told the system would be restored within 30 minutes. I went back to my room and discovered that, for some strange reason, the TV still received the HBO channel. I'm not a fan of HBO but I decided to watch it because it was the only channel that worked. After another 20 minutes, the HBO signal went out too. I decided to do some other things and checked the TV again after an hour - it still wasn't working. Gave up by this time and went to bed. Since the room was still freezing, I pulled out every blanket I could find.
The walls of this hotel are quite thin, so I could hear everything that the people in the adjacent room were saying as well as all of the noise in the hallway. Normally I like to run the fan in order to cover the extraneous noise, but I couldn't because it only blew more cold air into the already frigid room.
On the positive side, it's a good location, the beds are comfortable and the complimentary breakfast was fine.
If I was going to stay in Brainerd more than one night, I would definitely have packed up and moved to another hotel. Really disappointed in this place.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the hotel overlook a nice wooded area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Karen R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We apologize for the inconvenience you faced when staying at our hotel. It is unfortunate that the issue with the cable arose during your stay, but upon further investigation it was due to a city wide cable line issue that has since been resolved. We hope that you will Be Our Guest again in the future should you return to the Brainerd area.
Shropshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights,and despite being close to a busy road the hotel is very quiet. the staff were all very pleasant and helpful, a special thank you to Angela Isle, who helped us. Our room was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel and it was very quiet, spacious,clean and comfortable. it had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The bathroom was a decent size and the towels were good.
As others have said some things are a little dated and could probably do with a bit of a makeover. However, the thing that needs addressing most in our opinion is the breakfast seating area. It is far too small for the size of the hotel, there is no point serving a good breakfast if there is nowhere to sit down and eat it.. Another point to note is that this hotel does not have an elevator, so if stairs are a problem ask for a ground floor room. There is a nice indoor pool and hot tub and we felt we got value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Karen R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write about your experience with us! Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. We are sincerely looking forward to your return to our hotel when and if your should venture back to the United States!
Stacy, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here the weekend of 3/1/14. The hotel was very busy with so many different events going on in the area but the hotel was well prepared. All the staff are hard workers & it shows. The complimentary breakfast is wonderful & the staff busted butt to keep everything full, neat & clean. Great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 683Sherrie
Karen R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about the awesome experience you had when you stayed with us! We appreciate those kind words about our staff and we look forward to your return!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Very quiet hotel with spacious rooms. Convenient to restaurant & shopping. Very helpful staff with menus of all restaurants. Laundry room & cookies available 24/7. Great lobby with lending library. Somethings are a little dated but overall its clean.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our cookies and our Lending Library! We look forward to your next stay.
Dresser, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

My grandson and I traveled to the Brainerd area and had our golen retriever with us. This hotel catered to pets and people. Our room was clean and reasonably priced. We had complimentary hot chocolate and fresh-baked cookies. For breakfast, the self serve choices were excellent (especially the waffles and sausages). There is a very nice indoor pool with a hot tub. The staff were all helpful and courteous and went out of their way to see that my grandson was happy. I certainly would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013
Karen R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed everything from our customer service to the pool! Please come back and stay with us again soon!
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was in town for a funeral so my travel plans were last-minute and chose this hotel. It does not have lake view or the charming "country decor", but the other places I looked at either were unavailable or reported as noisy...and I think charming lake views are better in the summer. This place gave me a good rest at an awesome price due to the Manager's Special (last minute booking). It has no gym, just a small, non-lap pool and jacuzzi. The heater was quiet enough for me to sleep through. Location is not scenic but convenient, right at the 371 and 210/Fairview/Washington into downtown Brainerd, so I wasn't stuck in the snow on some back road. Gas and well-stocked mini-mart right next door, that was helpful. Jogging was a challenge but there's a trail on part of Clearwater street. Surprisingly well-stocked free breakfast. Great practical hotel for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Karen R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate the kind words and are always striving for excellence! Please, come and stay with us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter? Share your experiences!