“Fun family hang-out in beautiful Brainerd area”

Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Fun family hang-out in beautiful Brainerd area”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I came to Brainerd because I have a presentation at St Joseph's Hospital tomorrow. I would likely have stayed at the Country Inn or the Holiday Inn Express (no Hilton or Marriott properties here). I noticed that the Arrowwood folks from Alexandria have this joint up here, so let's check it out. My findings below.

Let me get the bad things out of the way. The internet here is absolutely slow. On the smartphone I use, the cellular is at least 10X as fast. That may be all that's available, but for emails, news etc, it's rough. The room I requested was a little bigger so I could have a desk to work at. It's okay. The layout is not like the Biz hotels, but that's expected.

The bigger room only cost $10 a night more, so no complaints. The restaurant (Baxter's) was decent. The server I had was very nice. menu choices were good. and all affordable. nice range from Filet to sandwiches and salads (I had a strawberry brie salad and had them add chicken). With the family? I would do this again for sure. For work alone? Not sure.

Room Tip: Leave work at home. This is all about family fun.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Raj D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Cottage Grove
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The room was clean and nicely arranged. The two beds were at either end of the room with the bathroom taking up some of the space in between - making a sort of dividing line. This worked great to separate the "kid space" from the "parent space." The breakfast was better than expected (although I was surprised to find out it's only free on weekdays and costs money on the weekends). The exercise room was a little disappointing - a handful of machines but no open area for other types of exercise. Our favorite part as a family was the water park. It wasn't a huge one, but it was a lot of fun for my gradeschool-age kids. We were there every night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron O
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was my 5th year here. That should explain half... I am writing because of the exceptional staff. My back was almost out. My husband was working up there for the day. I was confined to a room since that Monday. I called management and requested a wheel chair and some attendants for the day until I departed. The went over and above and provided me with a wheel chair, and staff shared assisting me that day until I left so that I could get out of the room, breathe fresh air at the back hot tub outdoor guest area. It is a great place to go in the mornings to read, have coffee and be near the water. My honorable mentions go to Management senior staff daytime, Cheryl, along with Marcus, Haley, Jordan and Waterpark Manager Gwen, who has been there every time I have been there. I must also mention, the pool is 86 degree's and the chef they have-is truly upscale with his unique spins on the menu choices. Daily specials are very good and all the food I ordered was perfect. The breakfast area where it is free, is nicer then any other chain or hotel, provides a choice of local or city new papers free, juices, cereals, eggs, with a potato or hashbrowns and bacon or sausages. Oatmeal and fruit and a variety of quality banana biscuits etc... Very accommodating staff in the morning, pleasant with a good vibe up north music in the back ground.

Room Tip: If you need a King size bed, those are located in the center of the buildings. If you need 2 queens...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Our experience here was in summary not worth the price. We arrived at 3:00 and still couldn't check in. The water park was not near as elaborate as the pictures show and they only have free continental breakfast on weekdays. I am sorry but to hike your rates up $75 for the weekend is extreme and to not even offer a simple free breakfast...really? Very few outlets in the rooms and not much for space. People were friendly but i got the impression they had heard all this before. Better value elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
Carolyn B, General Manager at Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your experience was at our facility. I am sorry that you felt you didn't receive the value for the price paid. Weekends, in summer, are generally more expensive where ever you may go due to it being a higher demand time of the year. We hope that you keep us in mind for the future and do offer some last minute deals on our website - "Bullseye Offer".

Carolyn
Fort Frances
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The overnight stay with our son and family was filled with fun and memories at the Arrowwood Lodge.We enjoyed the day at Paul Bunyan Land and Farm Brainerd and were tired. It didn't stop the children,parents and (old) granny from having a ball in the water park.The lodge has a cabin theme with log furniture even though the rooms are all in one building. The room was separate 3/4 wall from the sofa area. It is supplied with a fridge,micro and coffee pot.Each room has outdoor theme names-our room was Jack Pine cabin. The bathroom has all the amenities needed-- the bed comfy. There are 2 TV's--great if the kids want to watch cartoons and adults something else. The staff(especially housekeeping) were friendly.The free breakfast is in the restaurant-scrambled eggs,hash browns,etc.--good restaurant food--nice decor. The common areas have a lot of private seating areas--the front entrance has a fire place. The water park is part of the cost of the room.There were 4 lifeguards at all times,a concession area with free coffee and good seating everywhere. There are 2 water slides--one for the inner tubes where the water coming down turns different colors. We spent a lot of time on the tubes in the lazy river. The area is very clean. They treat the water through the day so no one can swim for 40 min. We had a huge problem in the arcade (good games) The children played there just before we left for home. When they went to cash in their tickets for prizes we could not contact anyone. We were told that the pool staff would be back in 15 min-- no one showed up after 45 min. Front staff and housekeeping could not find them--we had a long trip home.They were gone 1 and 1/2 hours and we still had trouble finding them. We received an apology via email after complaining but still feel that it is bad business. They should have closed the arcade and why were they gone so long ? Despite the pool problem we would recommend it for a family getaway--just make sure staff is around for the arcade. It is best to go during the week when it is quieter and watch for internet bargains.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor is where there is an exit to the pool area . The arcade is on this floor. Choose a mid...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carolyn B, General Manager at Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. I appreciate you letting us know, not only the great things but also what we need to improve upon. As I stated in my email to you, we have posted a sign in the arcade that shows an alternative number to call as well as posting a sign when the waterpark is not open and to use the alternative number. We hope that this will alleviate some confusion and help us to better serve our guests.

Thank you again for letting us know how we are doing and we look forward to having you come and visit us again!

Carolyn
Saint Michael
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had a suite, it was a lovely room lots of space. 2 Bedroom l bath, nice size family room, Kitchen was great, with a beautiful center island for entreating beautiful lodge furniture the whole Hotel was beautiful lots of nice up North decorations.
We had fun at the waterpark, with the family. Enjoyed the Hot Tub it was much enjoyed, you could be inside or outside.....which in Minnesota they said it was great to be outside during a snowstorm on New Years Eve. Not my kind of fun but they said it was Awesome and nice and warm outside.....in the Hot Tub.
Would pick this spot again for a family outing....lots to see in Baxter The staff very friendly and helpful. * lighting is very low in all the rooms. Great Parking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 2007retired
Montevideo, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here for the first time. Very nice facility. Clean rooms and friendly staff. The room we had was spacious and bed was comfortable. The only complaint I have is...where are the plug ins??? Usually when you stay in a hotel, there is an adapter on the desk or something of that nature. Unfortunately in todays traveling day, you have your computer, your cell phones, your e-readers and everything needs to be recharged. I had things scattered all over.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area

Been to Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes? Share your experiences!