“Wonderful Vacation Spot”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaver Bay
Oak Park, Illinois
“Wonderful Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I spent six nights at Cove Point Lodge. One of the reasons we loved it so much was our room. It was at the very end of the Lodge on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking Lake Superior. We had windows on two sides of the room with terrific cross ventilation. The room was lovely. We are hikers and had access to the Lake Superior Trail from the property. The Lodge is located close to many of the Lake Superior Trails best hikes! My husband is a biker and also had access to the bike trail from the property. What could be better for two active adults! It is also a very romantic lodge. In addition to our balcony, there are many beautiful places that you can sit and enjoy a view of Lake Superior. We also enjoyed eating dinner in their restaurant. They bent over backwards to support my dietary needs. We look forward to coming again!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LeslieKH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed at Cove Point Lodge for a few days. The room was nice very nice & clean. Only problem was that it was not air conditioned. We did ask the clerk if there was a different room with air she gave us a portable one which did cool our room down. when we were to talking to other guests their room was airconditioned. I know the breeze off of the lake cools the room at night but during the day you definitely need an airconditioned room. The hotel was built in 1995 so I do not understand why all of the rooms are not air conditioned. If you book a room make sure you ask for one that is airconditioned. The view is beautiful and lodge sits right on Lake Superior.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jan56chevy
Oskaloosa, IA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We paid 129 a night for a very small room. There were two beds, a small tube style tv, and no place to put your suitcase except the floor and then you could'nt walk through the room. Although very small the room was clean. My husband enjoyed the breakfast, but my son and I did not. The disc golf course was a joke. The whole course was overgrown with weeds and almost inpossible to play. The campfire and smores were a nice touch. We did not eat in the restaurant but we did eat in the bar up the hill and it was very good. Overall just an ok place but if we go to this area again I will look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

My wife and I have stayed at Covepoint several times and have had mixed experiences.
I actually proposed to my wife out on the point. Great location!
We have stayed in your average queen jacuzzi suites to the cottages.
If you plan on staying at Covepoint I would suggest the Lake Superior and Waves Stateroom or the Sunset Stateroom. Most other rooms are not worth the price.
The cottages are pretty nice but a little expensive for what you get.
Customer service has been good at times and absolutely horrible other times we have stayed.
To make a long story short my wife and I along with another couple of friends were actually refused service at the Cove Point Crossings Bar & Grill. Excellent food. Horrible customer service. Only one person working who stated that if we didn't sit inside instead of outiside he could not serve us food. There was only two seats availble inside and four of us. We explained that we understood that he was busy and we would write our order down and bring it in to him then if he would just simply tell us when our food was ready we could step in to get it. He still refused us service! Lost a big tip for not letting us do most of his job.
This establishment is average at best.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mister_V_11
Apple Valley, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

We (my husband, 9 year old son, and me) stayed in a King fireplace room for 4 nights. There was a pull out bed for my son to use. There was sufficient room for the 3 of us. The boy enjoyed the pool, and I have to say that after days of hiking, the hot tub and sauna were very appreciated. The free breakfast buffet was great! It is a typical Scandinavian breakfast, so may not be what people are used to, but my family loved it (hard boiled eggs, cheese, hard salami, bread, muffins) A great way to start the day. The dinners were also great. The grounds were beautiful. We were very satisfied with Cove Point, we will be going back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank vegasbride
Chaska, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Cove Point Lodge. We stayed in the Fjord South cabins as opposed to the lodge this time. There were four of us, two kids and two adults. The location of our Fjord South cabin was right on the water ( unit 518). These are new and are a nice size for four people or two couples. Both bedrooms and bathrooms were nice sized. The living room and kitchen were also great with new appliances and a lovely view of the lake from all rooms! My only complaint would be that I wish the living area had a larger couch. The living room couch is more like a love seat but there are two other chairs to sit in. The lodge itself is lovely with a large fireplace and comfy couches to sit in and read. There are also game tables inside and outside to use for a game of checkers. I thought the service at the front desk was super friendly and efficient. The thing that sets this place apart from Blue Fin Bay for me is that's is not as close to the road so it feels more remote. If you are wondering what choice to make up north, give Cove Point a try. The kids will love climbing the rocks on the shore and going out to the point, plus the campfires at night.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ychick11
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

We went up to Cove Point for a much needed holiday weekend after some stressful months at work. The Lodge was everything we hoped it would be-charming interior with lots of things to do, good food, and lots of R and R.
Our favorites were the giant stone fireplace with comfy couches and nearby bar-we spent hours relaxing in front of the fire with glasses of wine playing games and chatting. We also loved the sauna, and the nearby hiking trails. one evening we cooked smores over the firepit which was magical with the sound of the waves nearby.
Our room was fantastic-we had a little gas fireplace that was so cozy, and the views of lake superior were great. I checked out a friends room while I was there and it was equally great, so I suspect there's not a bad room in the lodge.
The food was good to-the continental breakfast in the morning was more extensive than usual and all the meals we had there were delicious.
Compared to other properties we looked to stay at, we thought we got a great deal for our room as well.

Room Tip: the fireplace is small but very convenient to use. the tv was outdated but we had no intention of...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Two Harbors
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Cove Point Lodge? Share your experiences!