“Winter Retreat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaver Bay
Minot
“Winter Retreat”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Very quiet place to stay, good food and friendly staff. Enjoyed the pool and the hot tub and the morning views of the lake. We would go back and would like to try it in the summer months, although, we did really enjoy the nice fireplace in the lobby and the fireplace in our room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Ely, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I returned here and came to relax for a couple of days and enjoyed the comfort of the Lodge for my Birthday even during the bitter cold.
The fireplace area was cozy and the comfortable couches were a place to sit, relax and play cribbage as we watched the wind roll steamy ice fog off the lake during the -20 degree below zero weather.
Nice pool, hot tub, and sauna with hot rocks to throw water on....Great!!!
Clean and Welcoming

Room Tip: Many Choices of good room layouts
2 Thank Bill E
Sleepy Hollow, NY
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We had a mid-week stay in this wonderful lodge during one of the coldest weeks! Lucky for us they have a wonderful fireplace with comfy couches, lots of books, movies and games. Coffee, hot chocolate and tea and fresh fruit always at hand and a breathtaking view of Superior. And that's just the check in area.

Our very comfortable room was quiet and very clean. There was an in room refrigerator and coffee supplies and a table that was just perfect for playing cards, doing some work and just staring out the window. We saw eagles and the most amazing sunrise.

The wonderful staff is attentive, courteous,and thorough about what to do and where to go if we wanted to venture forth. For skiers - cross country or downhill? (For downhill Lutsen is about an hour farther north) Hikers? Snowmobilers? The maps and suggestions were spot on. I especially loved that we could get a call (if we wanted) to see the Northern Lights. Sadly, we had too many clouds!

The Scandanavian buffet breakfast was delicious. We had a very good dinner at the Lodge one night and went elsewhere (and local) another.

We spent some time in the well sized hot tub. There's a small pool and a sauna. Everything is kept very clean and tidy.

Bring your walking shoes - or snow boots. Even in the dead of winter the hiking was spectacular. The skiing and snowmobiling trails nearby can't be beat- and the walking was a wonderland. Even if you just stay on the property there's plenty to see. I didn't see the otters but I know they are there! And of course, Lake Superior never disappoints.

We'll be back and hope to stay at Cove Point in every season.

Room Tip: Every room has a Lake view.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights over New Year's Eve. This was our first stay at Cove Point, although we have checked it out several times before. We normally stay in a cottage or condo when vactioning but this time we stayed in the lodge. We really enjoyed our stay! We spent lots of time by the huge fireplace in the great room. Loved how you can hang out in the great room, chat with others, play checkers and just be comfortable by the fireplace. Other features of the lodge are its small size. Since the number of rooms is small, the restaurant was never that full. We enjoyed a very tasty NYE dinner with excellent service. The menu was not large, but the items on it were well prepared. We also took advantage of the hot tub, which was never full. Even though it was very cold out, we did get outside and roamed the trails on the grounds. Love that you can hike, snowshoe or ski right from the lodge. Would like to check this out on a warmer day. Our room was large, but overall average. It was relatively quiet, the bed was comfortable, but the furnishings could use a little updating. The tv was tiny but functional. We also had a small fridge and microwave which was handy. The view was beautiful. We spent plenty of time watching the steam rise from the warm lake into the cold air. OverallI would recommend staying here. Will try one of the cottages in another stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Oakdale, MN
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We have stayed at Cove Point twice in the past 5 months, and I have to say that we had the most wonderful stay on both occasions. We have stayed at nearly every lodge on the North Shore, and Cove Point is by far the best. The staff is courteous and welcoming, and they attended to our every need. We stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage with a wood burning fireplace, and we loved everything about it. I cannot say enough good things about this Lodge!

Room Tip: Be sure to get one with a woodburning fireplace. It adds so much!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Richfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Immediately upon entering the lobby of Cove Point you are welcomed by the staff. Straight ahead is the fireplace. To the left is the pool and hot tub. To the right is the restaurant. The breakfast has a Scandinavian flair. Excellent! Our room faced the water. Could not have been better. Planning to return.

Room Tip: Enjoyed being on first floor easy in and out to car
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Chaska, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Fortunately we had good weather driving there, arriving on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. Once we arrived at our Fjord cottage it began to snow -- a winter wonderland. Our unit was close to the lake, offering us a lovely view of the snow accumulating on the rocks as the waves washed up against them.

Inside it was warm and cozy with a delightful gas fireplace and a perfectly supplied unit, including books, a cribbage board in the shape of a fish, cards, and other games. The two bedrooms and adjoining baths were spacious, clean, and provided with all necessities.

For dinner we ventured out in the snow to make the short trek directly to the lodge. Dinner was wonderful. Given my Swedish heritage, I was especially pleased with the nordic offerings. But there was creativity too. If my vegetarian daughter had been with us, she would have discovered wonderful menu choices. I couldn't resist the portobello mushroom stuffed with asparagus, tomato, and baked tomato sauce for the very decent price of $17.00. At my request they replaced the gluten free rotini with quinoa. It was even more delicious than I anticipated. I needed also to get my protein, so I ordered as a first course the Norwegian Herring Salad - pickled herring, dill sour cream, apple, and red onion. Chilled. $8.00. I was close to dining heaven.

My son had tomato basil soup $3 and crumb crust walleye -- crushed pretzels, mustard, wild rice pilaf, and green beans. $23. Both reportedly delicious.

For dessert he had the root beer float they were offering gratis at the bar. I, on the other hand, couldn't pass up the chance to have lingonberries -- at my request -- on a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yes! It was more than satisfying.

The next day we chose to make our own thanksgiving dinner. The kitchen had everything necessary - and beyond -- to prepare it. The rest of the day provided the perfect opportunity to hang out, but we did take the short walk to the lodge to visit the pool. If I have to complain about something, it's the fact that there were no lockers. Next year I'll know that we can just bring a bag and stash our stuff on a chair in the pool section. The woman at the desk (shucks! I forgot to register her name) was wonderful in every way, obviously enjoying her job, and very helpful. She provided me with a plastic bag for my stuff, and kept my coat behind the desk.

And yes, the pool was ample (especially since we were the only ones using it) and the hot tub very relaxing. Another problem, the sauna apparently has a light that responds automatically to the heat, so it was off with no apparent way to turn it on.

We are already entertaining the possibility of returning next year.

Room Tip: Our Fjord unit was perfect - cozy, great location, quiet (except for the delightful sound of the wav...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 6 in Two Harbors
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Cove Point Lodge? Share your experiences!