“29th Wedding Anniversary”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaver Bay
Grafton, North Dakota
“29th Wedding Anniversary”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Beautiful place! The room was laid out very nice and was very roomy. It also had a great view of lake. We would stay again. We also used the pool area and it was nice also. The dining room was pleasant and also had great views of the lake.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed on the 3rd floor balcony room that overlooked Lake Superior. This location had the most beautiful views! We thought the room was cute, had a little bit of a cabin type look to it, the couch was pretty old and out dated with rips in it. That should be replaced, but overall we loved our room. I don't think I could do without the balcony and to be able to just walk outside the door and overlook everything. The staff was incredibly helpful, especially Liz the manager. Very friendly. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant downstairs, but we did eat dinner at the restaurant that is part of Cove Point, not sure if it is owned by the lodge. I was very unsatisfied by the restaurant and the food there. Ordered a chicken sandwich and couldn't even get my teeth through it, nor could I rip it apart when I showed our server. So i ordered a pizza instead and I don't know if the cooks were upset that I didn't like the sandwhich or what, but it tasted as though they dumped a whole thing of salt onto my pizza. I hardly ate any of that either. I will never eat there again, so beware if you go to the restaurant down the road that may be part of the lodge. My fiance said the burger he had was good though. But otherwise that was my only gripe. We loved the place so much, that we ended up staying an extra night and went home Monday instead of Sunday and got extra sight seeing done. The lodge is only about 10 miles north of Gooseberry Falls and about 5 miles from Split Rock. The lodge also includes a bonfire area that you can use at any time of the night and they provide s'mores and a cute game room to play cribbage or checkers or a reading area with books provided. I would recommend this place to anyone and I can't wait to come back in the future!

Room Tip: I would recommend a balcony room, preferrably on 3rd floor, but I don't think you can go wrong w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsey L
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We just returned from two nights at Cove Point Lodge and our experience encompassed the entire gamut from good to bad.

First the good:

Cove Point Lodge is a beautiful facility right on Lake Superior. All the rooms face the lake and they are exceptional. The lodge itself is relatively new but decorated in a rustic style. The rooms are a little on the small side but certainly adequate. Our room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The nights were quiet. The staff was very helpful. The desk clerk went out of her way to help me with a special request. Breakfast was provided and was better than most hotel breakfasts. They had real eggs, not the manufactured kind. Their breads and muffins were good.

If I were rating the lodge only for their accommodations I would have given it five stars,

The Bad:

When we came back from a day's outing, we found that the door to our room had been left ajar. Our room was made up so the housekeeper must not have pulled the door shut. Everything in our room was in order and this mistake turned out to be harmless. Nonetheless, it was a concern.

The Ugly:

When we arrived, we were told that their restaurant near the highway was only open Thursday through Sunday (we were there on Monday and Tuesday) but that their fine dining room was open until 8:00 daily. Because we had eaten a late lunch, we went to the dining room at 7:30. We learned from the waitress that she was the only one working and that it would be quite a while until she could seat us. She was waiting on and busing tables, tending bar and even doing the cooking. We learned that the cook had quit a week earlier.

I don't know what management was thinking. They should have closed the dining room, put on more help or the hotel manager should have been working the kitchen. As it was, the waitress probably lost a lot of money in tips because of the poor service. The business lost money from guests who had to search elsewhere for dinner. There were no winners in this situation.

We complained to the hotel manager the next day and she was apologetic but simply said they were busy. Had she been smart, she would have told us that the problem was fixed and offered us $ off on dinner that night to prove it to us.

Will this experience keep us from going back? No. The rooms and the views are too good. Will we ever eat in their dining room again? Probably not.

3 Thank MN_Fernando
Pelican Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our two nights at the Cove Point Lodge. Each morning we sat enjoying our Scandinavian breakfast (loved it) and watched the beautiful sunrises. The fireplace in the lobby was especially great with the cold temperatures and lots of snow outside. The room was comfortable with a beautiful view of Lake Superior. Walking outside was difficult because of lack of trails. The snow was hard and crusty and occasionally my foot would fall through up to my knees but I still got some wonderful photos of ice floating in the bay. Great weekend!!

Minnesota
Reviewed 23 March 2014

After a 2 1/2 hour drive through a winter storm we finally pulled into our respite at Cove Point Lodge. We had taken advantage of a "buy one night get one free" deal that included a bottle of wine and a small box of chocolate and believe me, the wine got opened pretty fast in an attempt to calm my nerves. Next came a delicious dinner followed by a fast retreat to our lovely room that looked out over frozen Lake Superior. The views of the lake, with its ever changing winter landscape, was amazing.
Our room (rm 320) was a king bed with electric fireplace, and was very roomy. However, there is alot of wasted space due to the room's design. Everyone complains about the old outdated 19" televisions and the wear and tear look of the furniture, so lets hope the owners update the place soon. The 3rd floor rooms give a much better view of the lake so I'd recommend that. Don't know about the other floors but ours was super quiet even though most of the rooms were occupied. The whole place has a easy going feel to it which is even more enhanced by the great staff, the huge rock fireplace in the lobby, and the quiet quant eating area.
Free coffee, tea or hot cocoa in the lobby all day (great coffee), lots of places to walk and close to winter sporting areas. It won't take a "buy one get one" to bring me back to Cove Point Lodge!

Room Tip: For the best view, try the third floor middle.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Banner Elk, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We checked in as the moon was coming up over Lake Superior and woke up to the sun rising over the water. It was slightly overcast and didn't last long but was beautiful. The staff is very helpful, breakfast is included and the on-site restaurant is great. Everything about this place is wonderful.

Room Tip: The hot tub is great. Don't forget your swimsuit.
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We've stayed at Cove Point Lodge many times over the last several years but tried the Fjord Cottages this time. As usual, the staff was so helpful, the property is well maintained and the food in the lodge is excellent! The views were especially breathtaking this time because of the beautiful blue ice. We even saw a wolf cross the ice in front of our cottage. This area is so scenic with many chances to xx ski, snowshoe or hike in the woods. We had friends along who were experiencing Cove Point for the first time and I know we have some converts!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Two Harbors
Voyageur Motel
Voyageur Motel
#6 of 6 in Two Harbors

Been to Cove Point Lodge? Share your experiences!