“Very Poor Service. Dirty Rooms”

HomeTown Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belle Plaine
Keokuk, IA
“Very Poor Service. Dirty Rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

I stayed at the Americ Inn in Belle Plaine for an extended period. I thought it was a very nice hotel from first glance, but after a few days I noticed how dirty the toilet was and just kept watching to see if they ever cleaned it and they did not. Also the microwave was very dirty inside from food spilling from a previous guest. This was also never cleaned. The carpets were dirty. The manager was very rude when I asked her about Inn-Pressive rewards. She said that she had given me a good rate so I could not get the hotel rewards. My hotel rewards probably would have more than made up for the so called good rate she gave me. This is a nice looking hotel from the outside, but dirty and rude service inside. I would not reccommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Superior WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2008

Emma Krumbee's AmericInn is a newer hotel; the facility and surrounding area is lovely. What is not lovely, however, is the day manager and her attitude.

First of all, when I called to make reservations I inquired about a non-smoking room. I was told that all that was available was a double smoking room or a non-smoking king suite. I didn't ask what the price was for the suite (my mistake) and booked the double for $89.00. I then asked to have it noted on my reservation that I'd like a non-smoking if there is a cancellation. I was serious about the non-smoking. We checked in at 10pm and asked again about another room. We were told a king suite was the only non-smoking available. My husband joked, "So can we get a deal on it?" The clerk chuckled and said, "sorry". The clerk didn't offer to tell us the price and again we didn't ask (our fault). Our room stunk of smoke.

The next day my husband was at the front desk getting an extra key and the manager (who was manning the desk) was terribly rude to him, apparently annoyed that he needed another key. As he was standing there he spotted a flyer advertising a special on king suites...$99 which included a $10 gift certificate to the restaurant ...so really you're spending $89 for the room and buying your own $10 gift certificate. This is the same price we paid for our smelly room!! A half hour later my husband went back to the desk and told the manager that we'd like to switch to a king suite as part of this special. The manager's response was, "Well, I wish you would've said somthing this morning...now I have a dirty room that I can't fill". My husband's response was, "Well I wish someone would've told us about this special when we asked about a non-smoking room".

We did change, and the suite was nice, vaulted ceiling, fireplace, microwave and fridge. But the manager's rudeness was troublesome. I've worked front desk at a hotel and though I may have had rude thoughts, I would never have vocalized them. I also used to rent the suites at a discount when someone came in late at night and inquired about them. The staff had at least two opportunities to tell us about the special and didn't.

They have another on-going special (a "romance package") of a whirlpool suite for $119 which includes a $10 gift certificate to Emma Krumbee's restaurant and a $25 gift certificate to the OK Corral restaurant so be sure to ask about that. I'm willing to bet that if you book a suite without asking for the special, you get charged more than $119.

• Liked — The decor, breakfast and king suite
  • Disliked — The rude desk clerk
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Waconia
Asteria Inn & Suites New Prague
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Chaska
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Shakopee

Been to HomeTown Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!