All reviews living room great fishing worth the hour drive turtle lake bass steve kids summer boat cabin northwoods blast
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed at Arcadia Lodge in a "newly renovated cabin". The cabin and furniture was filthy, the refridgerator did not work properly and the water in the cabin smelled terrible. Furthermore the trolling motor and the live well did not function properly on the boat that I rented. The water trampoline as well as most of the other water toys were broken. The food and the service at the lodge was well below average. The grounds were poorly kept with smelly trash over flowing open dumpsters. The only positive is that lake is beautiful and the fishing was good.

Most disappointing is that fact that the owners did not respond or even acknowlege our complaints.

Our family stayed at Aspen Resort (located on Pelican Lake near Orr, MN) for (2) years in a row prior to this years miserable trip to Arcadia Lodge. Aspen Resort was well kept, well managed and a much nicer place. Rest assured, my next Minnesota vacation will be at Aspen Resort.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Dw7669
Reviewed 14 May 2010

My family has been coming here for years, but we have taken a break due to financial troubles. Anyway, all the cabins have been rebuilt in the last several years, and the workmanship is wonderful. All the cabins have the half log styling outside, and a tongue and groove inside. They are completely furnished (stone, fridge, furniture) with new furniture, albeit some antiques, and usually have interesting themes. As someone else wrote, most of the cabins are crunched together. However, they do have some cabins away from the crowd. My family stayed in Aspen Lodge the last couple years, and I would recommend that one to anyone who wanted to be away from the pack. There is also Moose Bay and Shoreview.

The restaurant has only one cook, so wait times can be a little messy, but usually the food is great. My go to meals were the Pasta Primavara w/ Chicken, BBQ Ribs, Chicken Fettucini (it can be a little rich), Wednesday all you can eat crab and the Friday all you can eat Cod special. The cook makes most of the sauces to order, so that eats up a lot of time.

One of the reasons that my family had so much fun was because we made it a tradition. We made many friends who had the same tradition, and I was able to see my kids grow up with them. It made the trip a whole lot more exciting. My kids also would hang out with the Jones kids, the owners children, and they always had a blast. The inclusion of free tubing every week was wonderful! Casey is a great driver, and he has never hurt anyone. I always felt safe letting my kids go out. Most nights there is a big fire down on the beach, and lots of people go down to visit. That's actually where my family made most of our friends.

On another note, the lake has pretty good fishing, and I've seen a number of large bass come out of it. The boat rentals from the resort are pretty decent, and they are always kept in running order. Life jackets are provided, but they are the old style. They also sell bait and fuel if you happen to have your own boat. Like all resorts, they mark up their fuel, but that comes with the convenience. If you don't want to pay the price, you can just go to a gas station down the road.

Overall, Arcadia Lodge is a great place for families to go to! I know I will be bringing my family back there as soon as we can afford it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Theguybythelake
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Steve and his family bought this abandoned historic lodge 10-15 years ago, and have built it into a first-class dining lodge with large modern cabins - all overlooking beautiful Turtle Lake. The staff is fun, gracious, and welcoming, and helpful with the little things. The cabins & lodge rooms all enjoy views of the lake and have decks. There are multiple opportunities for water-based activities - floating play climbs for children, docks of rental boats for fishing and touring, a boat launch site, canoe-kayaks. There are benches for viewing and listening to nature all over the well-kept property, an anti-bug tent, covered tables for short rain flurries, and a campfire pit. It's at the end of a dirt road that circles Turtle Lake. They have maintained old stone steps and other traditions that honor the history here. It's a welcome place to vacation, in any way that you wish to enjoy your stay. I enjoyed mine canoeing, reading, & sightseeing an extended area with my siblings.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank kj6travel
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We enjoy the unique history of this resort and the lovely historic lodge. The food and dining is wonderfully comfortable. As for the cabins being in the swamp it is just not true.
This is a nice place with a bunch of new cabins.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MyLakeHome
Reviewed 23 July 2008

The cabins were all new with cable tv, we even had a pool table in our cabin! There were water trampolines free tubing and a sandy beach for the children. We had dinner in the screen porch overlooking the lake, the view was breathtaking. The food was excellent. We were there for a family reunion they actually were able to accomodate all 25 of us for dinner. (with a smile!) They had a very extensive collection of wines. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!Have already made reservations for next year.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank BobbiMpls