“Great Meal and Quality Service”
Review of Clives Roadhouse

Clives Roadhouse
Ranked #4 of 88 Restaurants in Blaine
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and I took my brother out for dinner at Clive's. Our waitress was terrific and our food was really, really good. Quality burgers, good fries, and the beer was cold! I recommend any of their burgers as no one in our group had a bad meal. If I had only one complaint....beer was a bit spendy, but we were not there during happy hour either.....

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were really excited when Clive's opened up. The food was great, the portions were wonderful and a super collection of beers on tap. But...as all too often with restaurants, when things get tight, they start to change...and in this restaurant's case, not for the better.

We've noticed the protein portions getting smaller, but the bread portions getting larger. Basically, they try to fill you up on bread with your sandwich. The food isn't fresh as it used to be and quality of the food has changed. And the prices continue to go up (serioulsy - $7.50 for a glass of 'house' wine??) We used to love to come here for lunch, but after t he last couple of times, have stayed away.

The Happy Hour isn't bad and if you stay with the apps, you'll be fine. Love the edamame that is sautéed in soy and garlic. The beer and wine are reasonably priced, too. I hope they go back to the "old" Clives as it was really good...now, just disappointing.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Went here for lunch with coworkers. The service was good, our server very attentive. The new Spring/Summer menu offerings are interesting.

We tried the Ale Pub burger, which turned out to be the star of the bunch, on a nicely toasted pretzel bun.

Also tried the Pretzel Pub Club, which is served chilled. It was okay. The garlic aioli is very garlicky, and the sandwich itself was very dry. I asked for mayo and some onion to help it out. More on that later.

The Ultimate BLT was also in the okay category. Pros included fresh, REAL avocado, not the fake spread most places use. Cons were the too-garlicky aioli, and the humongous Texas toast, which overpowered the sandwich.

Now for my complaint... Clive's charges extra for *everything* -- and I mean, *everything*! I was shocked when I got the bill to find out that I was charged 50 cents for the red onion I requested. I asked the server, and he said, "Well, we didn't charge you for the mayo." I was floored. There are several similar places to eat in the area, and none of them have ever charged me for condiments. The seasoned sour cream is $1.00 extra, but this is clearly stated on the menu, and frankly, it's so good that I don't mind. But mayo? Onion? Seriously, Clive's??? When I pressed the issue with our server, he did remove it from my bill.

Overall, the food here is decent. The prices are a little high, priced more for dinner. There is no lunch menu. We will probably go back. I'll bring my own mayo and onion.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Part of ten went here to celebrate a birthday. Service was great but I can't say we were impressed by the food. State fair burger toppings were great but the burger itself seemed to be a tasteless frozen patty and the fish and chips were truly disgusting (was like fish jerky). No one else at the table seemed to fair much better.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have been to Clive's four or five times now. Hoping that it "makes it" here as we have seen several restaurants at this site in the last few years. Clive's might do well, they say their food is hand-made from scratch... no frozen or packaged stuff at Clive's! The place is large (so no long waits to be seated), but it gets rather noisy. The menu is diverse and large with a lean towards Cajun, so everyone should be able to find something they like.

The servers are young and inexperienced, but seem well-trained and are very attentive. We have been seated within minutes every time, On our last visit, we started with a cup of the black and white bean chicken chili, which was very tasty! It came out promptly and was good and hot. My wife went with the hot roast beef sandwich (which is one of their signature dishes). It was very tender, too salty for her taste, I thought it was flavorful but agreed it was too salty.

I ordered the grilled meatloaf, which was delicious, not dried out but moist and had an excellent crust from the grilling. I would have loved it had it been a little hotter (served faster?). The veggies were done just right, still a bit of crunch left and seasoned with a deft hand. Both had excellent potatoes & gravy.

Overall, it was 'not too bad' and we were pleased. Keep up the good work... and maybe you'll get to great! We'll be back.

Been to Clives Roadhouse? Share your experiences!