“Nice, comfortable, roomy”

Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blaine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 August 2012

While located near the Blaine Sports complex, this hotel does see a lot of young people and coaches checking in. However, the hotel is spacious, the rooms are nicely appointed, some suites are larger and give a businessman space to work. A local restaurant sits outside the front door and serves fairly decent meals. Near the hotel are pubs, and there is fast food. It is an easy walk to a few major stores.

Overall, the place was great, the breakfast was hot and well-stocked, and the staff were very pleasant.

This review would have been 5 stars except for the staff neglect/inaction regarding the pool. At 10pm the pool is for adult swim until midnight. At 10:30pm many youngsters came in, ran unsupervised, splashed other adults trying to relax in the hot-tub, but the hotel staff did nothing to maintain the quiet and rule. It made for a very unpleasant pool room. Several adults left when kids started tossing chairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room and stay clear of the ice machines...they are noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have to compliment the staff, they were very nice and eager to accommodate but I must of been having a bad day. The first room they gave me lacked a working TV. The staff quickly gave me another room, but as soon as I walked in, the refrigerator was not working. Thinking 3 times is the charm, I asked for a room that had both a working TV and refrigerator. They gladly gave me a third room and yes ......they both worked. The catch to that was the air conditioning was broke. I was too embarrassed to say anything again so it was a very hot and uncomfortable night. The management should consider improving their quality standards.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Ron I
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Hotel is nice. Very clean an quiet. Staff was excellent! Talea the assistant general manager was wonderful. She took the time to help us with directions and recomned excellent restaurants. Also she helped us book our next stay on our trip. I'm out over 30 days a year on business this hotel is good

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Fellow T
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in a king double suite. Two king size beds(one in a separate room), a sleep sofa, microwave and mini fridge. Overall, it was a nice place. About 40 minutes from Mall of America.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed here last night. I arrived after my daughter checked in and picked up a key at reception. They gave me the key to another guest's room, which I was able to enter. Went back down and got the correct key. This is not a quiet place. I could quite a few things from the hallway quite clearly, and as our room was near the elevator, anytime the door opened you could hear the distinct "ping" of the elevator as it was closing doors to go to another floor. Guests walking upstairs, either in the rooms directly above us or in the hallway, could be heard. Guests talking in the hallway outside our room could be heard distinctly. Once things settled down, you could hear the nearby highway (65, a busy one). Did not sleep well at all. Breakfast in the morning was so-so. There was enough of the basics: cereal, juice, yogurt, muffins, etc. Scrambled eggs were predictable. Very surprised that they served gravy and biscuits. This is Minnesota, and we don't generally eat this as standard northern fare. They do have a couple of waffle makers, so nice hot waffles were a good surprise.

The plusses: excellent coffee. Very nice reception staff. But this is not a top-notch hotel. If I had to, I could spend another night here. But since we live nearby, I won't make the mistake of staying here when I can go home.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the top floor and well away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed here with our kids for a weekend baseball tourney. This hotel turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. We rented a suite which had a king bed, pull out and a separate rooom with bunk beds. Very large room and quite well appointed for the money. Everything about this hotel is updated nicely. Staff was pleasant. Breakfast was very good. The pool area is way above average. Large rec room for the kids. Workout facilities. Location is great with lots of restaraunts nereby.

The only minor negative is that they need to pay closer attention to cleaning under beds and around furniture. However, I will stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road for a quiet stay. The bunk bed suites are huge.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SkiCrazyMN
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Stayed here for a wedding. Reservations went well, check in went well, all people more than helpful. My room was beautiful, clean and large. Decor very lovely. Place was quiet and I was directly across from an elevator...but still didn't hear any noises. Breakfast was more than enough. They served standard cold cereal and fruit but also regular and blueberry made-to-order waffle machine, scrambled eggs and biscuits and gravy. I would not hesitate staying here again as the place was great.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Best Western Plus Coon Rapids North Metro Hotel
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Coon Rapids, MN
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Coon Rapids
Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis-New Brighton
Hampton Inn & Suites Lino Lakes
Fairfield Inn Minneapolis Coon Rapids

Been to Best Western PLUS Blaine at the National Sports Center? Share your experiences!