Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed overnight for New Years, and it was a really great time. The staff was friendly, and they even let me use the breakfast nook to celebrate the holiday! Very clean hotel and hotel room. I ended up sleeping on a pull-out sofa, but believe me when I say this was the best pull-out sleeper I've ever slept on in my entire life (I've slept on PLENTY). It's also nice to know that if I wanted to bring any gaming systems along, I would be able to hook them up to the room television! Great night's sleep, and a nice quiet room.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you very much for your positvie feedback regarding your visit to our hotel. I'm so glad you had a good experience and I hope you'll be back to stay with us again soon. We do hear great compliments about our sofa sleepers. Thank you for mentioning how comfortable they are. I also appreciate your description of the media connectivitly panel. It does work great for gaming and I'm glad you noticed it for your next visit. Please introduce yourself if the opportunity presents itself when your travels bring you back to the area. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Minnesota
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel was okay, nothing different or special than any other chain hotel. Staff were very nice. I guess most people probably have kids that like staying there, because there were alot of them while we were there.
The bed was very comfortable, but the comforter was too heavy and hot. I think the duvet was overly thick (do they wash these with each new guest?). We liked the whirlpool for an extra $7. It wasn't spotlessly clean, but not bad.
This doesn't have anything to do with the hotel, but we were really turned off by the appearance of guests at breakfast...some with unkempt hair, bare feet, really slobby looking men and women in wrinkly T-shirts and sweat pants...makes you wonder what Americans must look like to foreign guests. This is probably why I will search out a different hotel or b and b that is smaller and not near the MOA next time we need to fly out of the cities.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm very happy to see you liked our comfortable bed and the whirlpool room. I hope you were able to use the cotton blankets in the room if the comforter felt too heavy. I'm very sorry you were offended by the casualness of some of our guests at breakfast. We do enforce the health code requirements for hygiene throughout the hotel and I hope your next experience will change your opinion. Please feel free to contact me directly if youwould like to give us another try. Best regards, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I selected this hotel because my family was with me on a business trip. I wanted a family friendly hotel that had activities for all members of the family. Country Inn & Suites did an excellent job of that! From the time we got up in the morning to a great hot breakfast in the lobby area to exercising in the Excercise room to relaxing in one of two heated indoor pools! Then you were right across the street from Mall of America! They offer a family package that is out of this world. You get two free passes to Nickelodeon Universe and four passes to Sea Life Aquarium, both located in Mall of America. An acessory kit of a build a bear items, includes a cute bed, blanket, and shirt with the Country Inn logo for an awaiting bear that you purchase at the Build a Bear store. Also you get a Mall of America coupon book! Lots of great deals in there. This by far is a must for any family staying at this hotel. We took advantage of the package and were very happy with it.
If you dont want to get in a cold car in the winter you can just about do everything , the hotel has complimentary shuttle service to and from Mall of America and the Airport. They have two resturants Fridays and IHOP attached to the hotel so you dont even have to go outside to get to the resturants!
Overall I give this hotel five stars and have it listed as one of my favorites. The staff is excellent and the hotel is clean and close to activities. If I am in the Minneapolis area I will make sure to book my stay here.

Room Tip: Get a King suite. You can sleep four comfortably as it has a very comfortable sleeper sofa.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
What wonderful feedback to read regarding our hotel! I'm so glad you had a good experience staying with us. Thank you very much for giving such detailed descriptions of our amenities and services. I'm certain other travelers to the area will appreciate reading your recommendation, as well. I'm very glad to see you'll be back to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the area and I hope I'll have the opportunity to meet you in person during your next visit. Best regards, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Oshkosh, WI
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Excellent location right behind the MOA. The quietest room we have ever had. So...if you are staying with adults and not interested in swimming it would be 5 stars. However, the pool situation was really funky and the hotel attendants at the check in counter seemed confused and overwhelmed. There are two tiny pools and two medium sized whirlpools in the pool area. Why there isn't just one normal pool, I don't know. One of the pools and one of the whirlpools was shut down due to a chemical imbalance. That made the others CROWDED. We were sitting in the functioning whirlpool and dirt, grime, and hair was swirling around. I made my husband and myself get out and just felt disgusted that we had even entered the cloudy and murky water. No thanks, it ruined our experience.

1 Thank W_MOshkosh_WI
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your experience with our hotel. I'm very glad you enjoyed the location of your room and the convenience to the Mall. I apologize that about the situation during the time you wanted to use the pool and whirlpool. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. We strive to keep the pools and spas clean and comfortable and I'm very sorry you weren't able to experience something more typical for our hotel. I'm hoping that you'll visit us again under better circumstances. Please contact me directly if you'd like to plan a return visit. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Goodrich, Michigan
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We transfered from the Water Park Radisson after a night to this hotel...I called to ask if a shuttle could pick us up at the Radisson and they were there in less than 10 minutes. I had to check out at one hotel at 11am but check in at Country Inn & Suites wasn't supposed to be until 3pm but the front desk staff called all of the housekeeping staff until they found a clean room and checked us in right then. The continental breakfast was great...but Ihop is connected to the hotel so we chose to eat there...in doing so we missed the 10am shuttle by 20 minutes...the manager herself drove us over to the mall in the hotel van! The staff was all very friendly and went way above and beyond to be accommodating. Beds were comfortable, room was very clean. Hot tubs were nice after shopping all day (two hot tubs and two pools)...but a bit busy.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent trip to our hotel. I'm so glad you had a good experience and I hope you and your daughters created lasting memories of your trip together. It was my pleasure to drive you over to the Mall and anyone on my staff would have done the same thing. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated and I hope you'll be back to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the area. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2013

For our first time to Mall of America, we really enjoyed this Country Inn and Suites. We booked a King Suite that included the separate bedroom and living room. It was perfect for the 2 of us. The room contained a decent size fridge, microwave, TV in living room and bedroom, comfortable chair and hide a bed couch.
Bed was very comfortable and while others have complained about the noise coming from other rooms, I can honestly say that we heard none. There was the occasional door slamming from the hallways but from the bedroom, we heard none. We were on the 6th floor so I am not sure if that helped or not. If I had any complaint about the room it would be the size of the Bathroom. It is small and it is one of those have to shut the door to sit on the toilet size. For 2 it was decent BUT if we had the family, it would have been tight. Not the hotel's fault; just a small inconvience.
What I found very interesting in the living room, the dresser (TV Stand) was hooked up with connections for a DVD player, for a gaming system, for your computer and 4 additional plug ins. Had we had our kids with us, they could have connected their gaming system or dvd without having to move the tv. Quite an interesting piece of furniture.
The breakfast that is offered as a part of the package price was extremely good. Hot items like french toast, sausage, biscuits, waffles, omlettes were offered during our stay as well as different types of yogurt, hardboiled eggs, juice, danish, cereal, etc. Lots of choices and enough for the family. The staff kept the room continuously cleaned and as one grouped left, they had the table washed down and set up for the next group.
We enjoyed the pool and the hot tub. Very comfortable and having the two pools helped to make it seemed not too busy. I only wished that at times of extremely busy nights, they would put someone on duty in the pool area to help keep some of the stupidness from becoming a problem. LIke one child spitting in the hottub or other children throwing a ball from one end to the other with no cares about who was inbetween. It didn't ruin our stay but it did make it annoying.
The staff of the hotel, outside of the pool, were excellent in all things. Very helpful with helping to plan out our day trips, suggestions for meals, etc. With all of this, we will definetly make this hotel our stay on our next trip to Mall of America.

Room Tip: The shuttle is nice but the mall is so close, you can walk across faster and you don't have to w...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your description of the amenities in our hotel. I'm so glad you had a positive experience with us and it's great to hear you'll be back to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the area. One of our towers does have restrooms where the doors open out, into the guest room, and we'd be happy to place you in one of those during your next visit. We are grateful for the endorsement you gave us on Trip Advisor and I'm sure other travelers to the area will appreciate your detailed account of your experience with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a heartfelt review. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Winnipeg
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We have stayed at number of Country Inns but this is by far the largest. The staff were friendly and helpful and that was very nice to have in such a busy hotel.

The bed in our suite was worn out, far too soft and bad sleeping resulted.

Our kids found the pull out couch to be the worst one they have experienced in all our travels with the mattress too thin in parts.

The internet on Easter weekend was obviously overwhelmed as we found it too slow for many basic tasks that required a good connection.

The breakfast had plenty of quantity but it was the first Country Inns breakfast that left our kids asking if we had to go there again the next day. The quality just wasn't there. We ate at the attached IHOP after the first breakfast.

The pool was our biggested dissapointment as the room has a lower ceiling than most pool rooms and the chlorine in the air as a result made our nose and mouth burn on entering on one busy evening which has never happened before. Our kids actually didn't want to go to the pool which has never happened to us before.

In the end we checked out early and moved to a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm very sorry that the beds weren't comfortable and the pool area was a disappointment for your family. I'm hoping that you'll visit us again under better circumstances. I'm confident we can give your family a more positive experience during your next visit. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes