Northwood Inn and Suites
Ranked #42 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We booked our room on Hotwire. Upon check-in, the staff was very friendly & helpful. It's an older hotel, and I didn't have very high expectations. But for the low price, I was willing to forgo some amenities. Just wanted a quiet, clean place to sleep. Pluses about the room: It was a decent size. It wasn't huge, but with two double beds it very comfortably worked for two adults. It had a nice flat screen TV and a very good selection of channels. We had trouble figuring out how to make it work, and the front desk gal was very willing to come up and help us get it working. It was very quiet, which is hard to find in hotels these days. Negatives: The room REEKED, and I mean REEKED of cigarette smoke. The carpets are old and look filthy. They just need to be replaced. The only source of heat for the room is a little window-unit-type air conditioner in the wall. Our visit was in November. It was 20-something degrees outside. Our room was freezing cold when we got there, and for hours I kept bumping up the temperature on that heater trying to warm up the room. Finally I maxed it out to 86 degrees on the readout and STILL had to sleep with my jeans and sweatshirt on because the room was so cold (and the blanket & bedspread are pathetically thin). I woke up around 3 a.m. and was finally warm enough to sleep without my sweatshirt. I understand that the hotel is only rated a 1 star on hotwire, and I didn't have terribly high expectations. But anyone considering whether or not to stay here needs to decided whether or not they can handle that smoke stink - because I would guess that all the rooms smell like that. We didn't find any bugs/roaches, but we did use a blacklight and found some funky stains on a pillow and a washcloth. As most other reviewers stated, "breakfast" consists of a pre-packaged danish, with notes plastered everywhere that you can only have one. It would be less annoying to just NOT offer "breakfast" at all than to mislead people into thinking they're actually going to get breakfast. At the end of the day, the heat problem and the smoke stink made the stay unbearable for us. I just can't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Northwood Inn and Suites for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. We are sorry for the bad experience you had. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

• Thank you for your valuable feedback.

• Staff members received our commendation for the courteous, pleasant, accommodating manner in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• Management and maintenance staff were consulted about the strong smell of cigarette smoke which you encountered. It was suggest that ways to eliminate it be looked into.

• The maintenance staff was instructed to check regarding air conditioner and see to it that it was functioning properly and received repairs if needed.

• They also received additional training in seeing to it that all appliances are kept in working order.

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you experienced and instructed to take required action.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Northwood Inn and Suites. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I had a room reserved for Friday night. We ended up leaving it was so disgusting! There was powder all of the room, not sure what kind or for what. I waited for five minutes for somebody to come to the front desk when checking in and then to give back my keys (there was no one there when we left them). It is not worth it, the Comfort Inn next door was ten times nicer and only $20 more.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathleen C
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Guest,

• The front desk agent received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

I am in a wheelchair & reserved a handicapped accessible room. There was a step into my room.They had curbs & no ramps at the hotel. I was traveling with my sister, so she helped me with these obstacles.There were cords sticking out along the wall that led to the bathroom - barely enough room to get by them with my wheelchair. There was a small mirror above the sink in the bathroom - too high for a person in a wheelchair to see into it & no countertop space in there to put makeup on, etc.This was the least handicapped accessible hotel I've ever stayed in.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you experienced and instructed to see to the necessary repairs and replacements.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

I was here for 4 nights and found the accommodation to be extremely clean and well equipped with daily maid service. The staff and owner were very friendly and accommodating to our needs and sorted out any little queries with a smile. We had a late afternoon flight back and were able to keep one of our rooms for the extra few hours we needed which was really useful, a taxi was also organised for us at a very reasonable rate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this motel, great location and really comfortable. Didn't use the pool but it looked fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Shirley W
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I found this hotel on Booking.com. I saw the price and jumped at it. Well I should have known, you get what you pay for. I rented three rooms here and two had bed bugs. I complained to the front desk and she said that she will informed the manager. Long story short...we decided to leave and they charged my credit card anyway. I now have to talk to my card company and complain.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS DUMP YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank izzychk
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Northwood Inn and Suites in which to stay.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance was notified of the problems you experienced with the air conditioner and instructed to look into something can be done.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of insects in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to their elimination.

• Management has been informed about the credit card charge.

I hope that the next time you visit here you will find your visit to be much more satisfactory.

Regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2012

We had a short stay in a room with disability accomodations. Ground floor, but we felt very safe. The area was reasonably quiet and clean. Located near highway access about 15 minutes to downtown MN and MSP airport. We arrived very late after our scheduled reservation, but our room was still available and the staff seemed to understood that we had had a long and difficult trip. The staff was excellent. They immediately responded to every request from additional coffee to recommendations on local eateries with delivery. The staff also assisted with transportation from the airport and helped with acquiring Avis rental. Walking distance to MOA. The accomodations are modest, but Northwood is like a home away from home. Northwood is not a 5-star hotel in terms of aesthetics, but it has all of the basic ammenities for comfort, including an indoor pool, a/c, cable TV, and vending machines for snacks. Northwood doesn't come with a 5-star price tag, but we received 5-star treatment. The inn is in a great location alternative to downtown MN and the staff is excellent.

Room Tip: King sized bed; Queen sized room. Maintain reasonable expectations when making your reservation bas...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ph D
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We went to check into the hotel and the clerk was so rude and the continental breakfast was going to be a honey bun and a cup of coffe for my husband and three children. We went up to look at the room and we couldn't even get into the door to the walkway there was a that much of a moldy smell.We walked by the pool that was the size of a hot tub that was a bust for 3 kids. When we got to our room the reeked of smoke but "its a non smoking hotel and they check there rooms for smoking smells" yea right and I'm the queen of England. We were supposed to have a sofa in the room there was a pull out bed but i wouldn't have touched it for a million dollars it was nasty looking and god only knows what was growing on it. The beds looked like someone had just rolled out of them and the bathroom smelled like someone had just used it with out spraying it. I took the key cards back down to the front desk and told them we wouldn't be staying there our room was hideous and it reeked of smoke she told me I have been in some of those rooms myself and they don't smell at all.. I told her we wanted a refund and were going else where. She was very rude with me and told me she couldn't authorize that and I could talk to Anil Patel the General Manager he could help me the next day. I called back the next day and she lied to me and told me he wasn't there and then hung up on me. I called back and guess who answered the phone Anil himself. I still haven't gotten a refund on this horrible hotel but if you know anyone that needs a hotel to stay at this is not thee place they need to stay, even if it is just a bed to sleep in. you never know what they will leave with bed bugs or even worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Pamela B
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Guest,

• I appreciate your calling our attention to the problems with the Smell and reek of smoke. We took immediate steps to have these problems looked into.

• The housekeeping staff received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness expected of them as our employees.

• Management was approached about making our valued guests know that they are wanted and welcomed.

• The possibility of a refund is being looked into.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Northwood Inn and Suites. I think you will be greatly pleased and we look forward to welcoming you back.