“KEEP LOOKING”

Northwood Inn and Suites
Ranked #42 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

Do not and i repeat DO NOT STAY HERE! Rooms are disgusting, management is awful hotel staff is rude and when we asked for a refund they would not give it to us stay across the road at the Americinn. This place offers "free breakfast" but that consists of coffee and a packaged muffin.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank rskwira
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to our area and for your positive remark about our hotel.

We appreciate you for the review and regret the experience of accommodation.

We have taken steps and assure you that the hotel staff has been given training to ensure that this does not happen again. Systems have been put in place to ensure a smooth check in for all our guests. The breakfast also has been improved.

We hope that you will surely make a note of this and choose us once again to stay and have a new experience.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

Spend the extra few bucks and get a room somewhere else. The bed was so hard that we would have been just as comfortable sleeping on the floor. The air conditioner cover was broken and you could see daylight through the old air conditioner, the front desk sent a guy over to fix it and he covered it with a blanket. The front door frame had been kicked in in the past so we didn't feel very safe there. The curtains had holes in them and the bathroom had cobwebs on the wall. Oh, and the flat screen TV wasn't working right so watching TV was a joke. It was noisy, nasty and we were glad to leave the next day!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane M
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Northwood Inn and Suites for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. We are sorry for the bad experience you had. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

• The maintenance staff was instructed to check regarding air conditioner and see to it that it was functioning properly and received repairs if needed.

• They also received additional training in seeing to it that all appliances are kept in working order.

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you experienced and instructed to take required action.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Northwood Inn and Suites. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Stayed there over Labor day. Reserved a first floor, no smoking suite. Got a third floor suite with cigarette burns on the ancient, broken furniture. (Wife is partially disabled. The 3 flights of stairs were a nightmare.) The carpet seemed slightly sticky, the toilet sat crooked in the tiny bathroom. The shower curtains were torn, there were missing cover plates on the outlets behind the beds. The staff were surly, and a hand-written sign on the wall behind the front desk threatened immediate firing if the staff were to make any "Management" decisions. I am sure it's a real joy to work there. The first night, the Wi-Fi did not work. The place looked like it was last remodeled in the early 70's There was a flat screen TV, but the screen was gouged as if someone had thrown something at it. The only reason we didn't walk out right away was that all of Bloomington was booked. I strongly suspect that the 4-5 spot ratings are coming from the staff.

Room Tip: Chose a room at any of the nearby hotels instead.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Will S

Reviewed 17 November 2012

I stayed at the Northwood Inn and Suites over the weekend and I enjoyed my stay. The room was larger than I expected it to be. The location is excellent as it is right next to the airport and Mall of America. The staff was very helpful in making sure all my needs were met while staying there. I would recommend staying at this hotel if you want to be close to things in Bloomington MN.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jason M
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We booked our room on Hotwire. Upon check-in, the staff was very friendly & helpful. It's an older hotel, and I didn't have very high expectations. But for the low price, I was willing to forgo some amenities. Just wanted a quiet, clean place to sleep. Pluses about the room: It was a decent size. It wasn't huge, but with two double beds it very comfortably worked for two adults. It had a nice flat screen TV and a very good selection of channels. We had trouble figuring out how to make it work, and the front desk gal was very willing to come up and help us get it working. It was very quiet, which is hard to find in hotels these days. Negatives: The room REEKED, and I mean REEKED of cigarette smoke. The carpets are old and look filthy. They just need to be replaced. The only source of heat for the room is a little window-unit-type air conditioner in the wall. Our visit was in November. It was 20-something degrees outside. Our room was freezing cold when we got there, and for hours I kept bumping up the temperature on that heater trying to warm up the room. Finally I maxed it out to 86 degrees on the readout and STILL had to sleep with my jeans and sweatshirt on because the room was so cold (and the blanket & bedspread are pathetically thin). I woke up around 3 a.m. and was finally warm enough to sleep without my sweatshirt. I understand that the hotel is only rated a 1 star on hotwire, and I didn't have terribly high expectations. But anyone considering whether or not to stay here needs to decided whether or not they can handle that smoke stink - because I would guess that all the rooms smell like that. We didn't find any bugs/roaches, but we did use a blacklight and found some funky stains on a pillow and a washcloth. As most other reviewers stated, "breakfast" consists of a pre-packaged danish, with notes plastered everywhere that you can only have one. It would be less annoying to just NOT offer "breakfast" at all than to mislead people into thinking they're actually going to get breakfast. At the end of the day, the heat problem and the smoke stink made the stay unbearable for us. I just can't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

• Thank you for your valuable feedback.

• Staff members received our commendation for the courteous, pleasant, accommodating manner in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• Management and maintenance staff were consulted about the strong smell of cigarette smoke which you encountered. It was suggest that ways to eliminate it be looked into.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I had a room reserved for Friday night. We ended up leaving it was so disgusting! There was powder all of the room, not sure what kind or for what. I waited for five minutes for somebody to come to the front desk when checking in and then to give back my keys (there was no one there when we left them). It is not worth it, the Comfort Inn next door was ten times nicer and only $20 more.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathleen C
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Guest,

• The front desk agent received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

I am in a wheelchair & reserved a handicapped accessible room. There was a step into my room.They had curbs & no ramps at the hotel. I was traveling with my sister, so she helped me with these obstacles.There were cords sticking out along the wall that led to the bathroom - barely enough room to get by them with my wheelchair. There was a small mirror above the sink in the bathroom - too high for a person in a wheelchair to see into it & no countertop space in there to put makeup on, etc.This was the least handicapped accessible hotel I've ever stayed in.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you experienced and instructed to see to the necessary repairs and replacements.

Hotel Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#33 of 42 in Bloomington
Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America
Baymont Inn & Suites Bloomington MSP Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis Mall of America

Been to Northwood Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!