“Upgrade was a downgrade! Not the room I reserved!”

Northwood Inn and Suites
Ranked #42 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My fiance and I wanted a cheap getaway for the night and that is EXACTLY what we got. I booked a Deluxe King room on hotels.com for under $85 after taxes on the morning of our mini trip. Even though it was last minute, I assumed that I was being accurately charged for what was available that night.
When we got there, we not only had trouble getting through the parking lot, but we were surprised to find multiple buildings. My reciept during check in was blank, but I assumed it would be correct regardless. I signed and initialled the service agreement anyway.
Thankfully we were in the building with the pool, but the building itself smelled musty. Our room was NOTHING like what I booked. We had 2 full sized beds and a random foldup bed next to the door. I double checked the receipt which said Deluxe Queen Double. I immediately called the front desk. After some confusion, I was told I would get a call back. A different person called 10min later to claim that the room I choose was already taken, so we got a free upgrade. The view sucked and my fiance and I had the choice of a small shared bed or sleeping alone!
The random lights all over the room made no sense and didn't even adaquately light the room! Not to mention the bathroom was small and hard to get into without fully opening the door, climbing in the tub, and then shutting the door.
At about 9pm, we went to the pool downstairs. The water was surprisingly warm and the perfect depth. We were concerned about the cleanliness, though. It seems they use salt as a cheap alternative to chlorine. I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do.
Getting back from the pool to shower, the pipe with the showerhead wasn't fully secured to the wall, so when the water was on, it pulsated for a few minutes!
The beds were firm and the pillows were soft, but since there wasn't a way to control the temperature of the room, the thin blankets were not enough.
We checked out just before 11am and we didn't look back...

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank KandiMurphy
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Northwood Inn and Suites for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry it didn’t turn out to be the enjoyable stay you.

• The information on the website was checked to make sure that what was being shown concerning our establishment was accurate.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with the shower, Blankets and Vacuumed carpets in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair or replacement.

• I am glad you find our pool warm. Pool staff received our commendation.

I am pleased to tell you that we do take our guest reviews seriously. I hope that you will reconsider and that the next time you are in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Northwood Inn and Suites. I think you will be very pleased.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

If I could give this place 0 as review I would. this by far was the worst hotel room I'm ever seen or stayed at. not only is the outside a horrible sight, so run down, looks like you would get murdered if you walk outside Alone. when we first got there the room the hall everything smells like marijuana. we ended up having to go get new room keys four different times because ours quit working in the doors. our phone was broken didn't work at all, the headboard fell off of the bed, there was Holes in the curtains and the bedding was all stained. the couch bed was broken, it wasn't being held on by any of the springs anymore. When I went to go get a refund because this was a horrible experience I was told to call a third-party being the manager. not only can we not get a hold of the manager but we also never got A single apology from any of the three employees. I am still waiting to hear back from the manager after 2 Nights After I stayed there. I would not recommend anybody stay at this place It is horrible.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank mikieala
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Guest,

• We shared your report of the Bad smell to the management, maintenance and housekeeping in the hope that they can see that this does not happen to any more of our valued guests.

• Housekeeping staff received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you had with Rooms keys, headboard, Phone, Curtains and Bedding and instructed to fix the problem.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Northwood Inn and Suites. I think you will be greatly pleased. We shall look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here and it was the worst experience ever. We left after bringing our stuff in to go to the Walmart down the road and when we got back, decided to lay in the bed. We smelled an....odor as if the linens hadn't been washed in ages. It literally reeked of B.O. we went down to the office to get a refund and the lady (who I assumed was the owner) told us to call the 3rd party in order to issue a refund. No problem, we go outside, call the 3rd party and they said they'd have to speak with the receptionist. No problem so we go back inside and the original lady was nowhere to be found, only to be replaced with a large man who refused to speak to the 3rd party in order to issue a refund and during the phone call, this man yelled at both my husband and I and berated us for asking for a refund. It was an embarrassing experience. He eventually yelled that he would allow the refund and since the 3rd party booker was on the phone this entire time, he was able to authorize it. What a sneaky move to run away from customers and try to replace her with a large intimidating man who didn't even eant to hear why we were leaving. Never stay here!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank AleSal2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via Trip Advisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize for any Refund issues you encountered. We will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience, and hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your comfort and satisfaction.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

While the motel room looked nice, the beds were bad. One had such a bad dip in it, we couldn't sleep there. The sofa sleeper wasn't good either. The shower curtain bar was falling off the wall making it impossible to close the curtain. The TV was nice and the pool was warm. The wifi was unsecured. If I could have given zero stars for a rating, I would have.

Room Tip: Stay at another motel instead.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Brewerzfan
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Dear Guest:

The Northwood Inn thanks you for choosing us for your recent stay and the review.

We have noted your valuable review and take it with due seriousness.

In fact, it’s one of the only ways we can improve.

We have addressed to your observations like bed sheets, towels and also the amenities in the best possible manner and would like you to stay us again.

Assuring you a fine stay next time,

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is an older motel but kept very clean. The staff was very pleasant and personable. There is an indoor pool but we did not use it. It is very close to the Mall of America. We would stay there again if we are ever in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We've used the Northwood Inn and Suites twice now when flying out the Minneapolis airport. The hotel is nothing fancy but we've only needed a place to sleep and a very early ride the airport in the morning. The convenience of the taxi at anytime we want is what made us book here for the second time. You just tell the person at the front desk when you want to be taken to the airport and the taxi is there waiting for you - no messing around with a shuttle at certain times or waiting around for other guests. It's only about a 10-15 minute ride to the airport. Pick up at the airport is super easy and quick too. The hotel gives you a card with the taxi service phone number on it and you give them a call when you've got your luggage. The taxi drops you back off at the hotel. Easy as can be. We'll definitely stay here again on our next trip out of Minneapolis.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Well we tried canceling when we first arrived because the sight of the place is just horrific. It looks run down. There were two cop cars outside of it and talking to someone about who knows what. The staff was rude when we requested to cancel our reservation, stating we had to get it approved by the manager. We got the managers number who basically hung up on us, and when we called back, he said he talked to the owner who said they had to follow policy and could not give us our money back. So, we paid $74 for a crappy room that felt totally unsafe. This place should be shut down. Stay away!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank KGL2010
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Northwood Inn and Suites during your recent visit to our area.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Front desk staff and the Manager received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Housekeeping received additional training in seeing that the rooms are properly clean before assigning to our valuable guests.

I hope that the next time you are in our area you will once again choose to stay at the Northwood Inn and Suites. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#33 of 42 in Bloomington
Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America
Baymont Inn & Suites Bloomington MSP Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis Mall of America

Been to Northwood Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!