“Nice stay, but probably won't be staying again.”

Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed 21 August 2013

There are 5 things I look for when I'm looking for a hotel (in no particular order): complimentary breakfast and wi-fi/internet, free parking, layout of guest rooms, and cleanliness. And, since it was literally last minute, the Hyatt Place was the one we ended up choosing.
Our family of 7 stayed at the Hyatt for an overnight stay. It was a two double bed room with a living room and kitchenette, which I thought was pretty nice; and it even had a little desk with an office chair in the corner too. The only odd thing was that the bathroom counter and sink were outside of the bathroom. The bathroom only had the toilet and shower/bathtub in it, which felt a little cramped. The sofa also turned into a queen sleeper but we didn't utilize that. There was no microwave in the kitchenette, just a mini fridge that you could stock yourself. The complimentary breakfast they had was kind of minimal: scrambled eggs and sausage links...and pancakes that tasted like paper. I am not a picky eater by any means; I rip on others for being particular, but the pancakes were hard and tasted like paper. Other than that, they had the usual continental breakfast items. In our hotel room, I noticed some mold/mildew on the corners of the tiles in the bathroom and the ceiling had cracks in it that looked like someone just put plaster of paris over it and left it at that. There was a sliding mirror door to the one and only closet in the room and it was broken; we couldn't even slide it so it was hard trying to put our luggage inside of it. We didn't even bother telling the hotel people because it was just an overnight stay.The hotel also boasted free/complimentary wi-fi, which I thought was a joke. We were only on the 2nd floor but the connection was so weak and slow, it was frustrating; my phone turned into an even better wi-fi hotspot. But why should I have to use my phone when the hotel had wi-fi? It didn't automatically show up as an available network, you had to look it up yourself and I don't know if this was due to the slowness of the connection, but frustrating nonetheless. The hotel did appear to be a little old and outdated here and there. Which is fine for some people, but I like consistency. The rooms were quiet and the beds were comfortable. The kids enjoyed the pool and our room had enough space for them to run around and play. Overall, this was a nice stay; nothing too good to note that we should return, but nothing too bad to say that we should never return. Would we stay here again in the future? Probably not.
But mostly because we like to stay at different hotels to see what they have to offer :D. While the hotel did have all that I was looking for, other than the free parking, the others didn't quite meet up to my expectations.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We definitely can do better than just the basics and we are working to improve on those items. We have since switched the breakfast to offer fresh and different breakfast sandwhich selections as well as frech toast, fresh fruit, and assorted breads and pastries. I hope that we get the chance to serve you again and that you are able to leave not wanting to try another hotel ever again.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My family of 4 chose Hyatt Place for our hotel accommodations while we vacationed in the MSP area. This was the first, and last time we stay at a Hyatt. We arrived on 8/10/2013 and checked out 8/14/2013. We were placed on the 4th floor. As we rode the elevator, it begain to make wierd metallic grinding sound like the track or cable needed a good coat of oil and an overall safety inspection. When we arrived at our hotel room, something was wrong with the door handle. After swiping the door card,the green light activated but the door would not open. It was discovered that the only way to get the door open was to lift the handle up while giving it a jiggle.

The room was laid out nice with 2 full beds and a large sofa with a hide-a-bed. Between the two full beds looked like it had not been vacuumed. I picked up the pretzles that were left on the carpet, as to not step on them later. I noticed that the entire carpet was in need of a good vacuuming.

On 8/11/2013 (Sunday) at approx 8:00pm I notified the front desk that our toilet was plugged. At 8:35pm no maintenance guy yet. Called the front desk but no answer. I went down to the front desk, yes the elevator is still making that noise, to enquire about the toilet resolution. Spoke with front desk clerk that said they were having trouble locating a plunger. At 8:50pm I was informed that no plunger was on-site. At that moment my wife called me to get a update as my daughter needed to use the facilities. I told her they were still working on it. I went back up to the room, in noisey elevator, and took my daughter down to use the bathrooms near the pool area. At 9:03pm my daughter was back at the room and I was back at the front desk. No one was at the desk so I sat in the lobby area and waited. Long story short, Hyatt sent a employee over to the Holiday Inn Express to borrow a plunger. At approx 11pm an employee knocks on my hotel room door and hands me the plunger. He tells me to leave it outside my room door when I'm done. Nice!! I had to plunge the toilet and leave a dirty plunger in the hallway. Lovely!!!!

Toilet in now "fixed". Pull the hide-a bed out to discover that it has no sheets, pillow or blanket. Called the front desk AGAIN and I'm told I can come and get some, WONDERFUL!!!!! Down the piece of crap elevator I go. NO ONE AT THE FRONT DESK AGAIN....GO FIGURE!!! Waiting at the desk is a flight attendant and another gentleman, they are not together. Desk clerk arrives 10 mins later, flight attendant looks testy and states she can not get into her room. She is assigned another room. Other guy wants to check-in. He is assigned a room on 6th floor, I tell him about the elevator. I received the needed sleep items and trek back upstairs. Finally.........entire family is in bed and its almost tomorrow.

Room Tip: Our room on the 4th floor was quit and the suite was nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you were provided during your stay. This is not indicative of what our guests experience and the issue are definitely being addressed. Service and cleanliness are two basic things that need to be achieved in order to meet guest expectations and I hope for teh opportunity to serve you in the future and show what we are truly capable of accomplishing.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Our family of two adults and a 10 year old stayed one night in room 105, a double queen/double room, at a AAA rate of $135.15. The rate included complimentary parking, in-room wireless, and hot breakfast. No guest coin laundry at this location, but there is an indoor pool and fitness center. Although this is a non-smoking facility, our room smelled like a smoking room. We spoke to the front desk staff who confirmed that we had a non-smoking room. Our room also needed better cleaning (mildew in bathroom) and better maintenance (broken faucet in bar area sink). Otherwise, it was spacious, modernly decorated, and provided a good night of sleep. Breakfast was a bit chaotic with staff unable to keep up with the stocking of silverware, food, cleanup. Attempts were made to remedy this at the expense of 2-3 staff getting in the way of guests to get and eat their breakfasts at 8 am. There is a bit of a language barrier (e.g., confusing english muffins for bagels). Check-in staff was welcoming and helpful. In terms of location, this hotel is a mile or two to the Mall of America and is easy to find from I-494. Based on our experiences at four other locations, this is a good value chain, but this particular location needs to be better managed.

1  Thank 3onaTrip

Thank you for your feedback. As the new General Manager for the property I will definitely take your comments to heart and ensure that these are addressed. I am glad to hear that the staff was helpful and pleasant and I hope we will see you again in the future to show what we have accomplished.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed 3 nights on business trip. The hotel appears to have been around for a while and the décor in the corridors on each floor is a dreary dark brown. With that said, the room was clean and very spacious. The king bed was comfortable and my second floor room overlooking the parking area was very quite. No trouble at all getting a good nights rest. The staff was friendly and helpful. Each day a variety was offered on the breakfast buffet. It was OK, but I have had better. I am not a mall person, but was told a visit to the nearby Mall of America is a must. Amazing place even if you are not a shopper like myself. If required to visit this area again, I have no qualms about staying at the Hyatt again.

Room Tip: One reviewer wrote noise from the highway was troublesome. My room was on the opposite end from the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Dion H, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Dear JohnSr_66:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a Trip Advisor review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are glad to hear that you had no trouble at all getting a good night’s rest. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.

Again, thank you for completing a review and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stay here a lot, convenient to work so I opt for location versus comfort. If you're room is in the front of the building you will here plenty of traffic noise from the highway. The free breakfast is surprisingly good with a nice selection. Added bonus is you are a couple miles from the Mall of America for some retail therapy after a long day.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Steve A:

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to complete a Trip Advisor Review. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our New A.M skillet breakfast.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel is a great value. The rooms have a great sitting area that includes a full-size sectional couch. This is a great feature and makes the room very comfortable.

The pool is a decent size and has ample full-size towels. My daughter really enjoyed the pool.

The Hyatt Place features a food counter that has bakery items as well as many entrée items you can order. I didn't take advantage of this feature, but liked the concept.

A breakfast is included, which features some hot items as well as the standard continental breakfast fare.

I would stay here again and will pay more consideration to Hyatt Place hotels in my future travels.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HannahBee123

Dear HannahBee123:

It’s a great feeling for the entire staff to know that you and your daughter enjoyed our hotel.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I needed a hotel close to the airport and chose the Hyatt Place because we had a great experience at and another Hyatt in May (in Green Bay, WI). This was a great room--sofa, wet bar area, fridge, comfortable bed. The staff was nice. The room was quiet-mainly because the sitting area was closer to the hallway so the bed area was away from the potential noise. I had to wake up super early to get to the airport and I slept well. I will definitely use this hotel again and recommend it to friends/family who need one. We liked the location--near airport and fairly near the Mall of America. We went for a nice walk and enjoyed watching the airplanes land and walked to the Mall of America (almost).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear MaestraWisconsin:

We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay here with us and you were able to take a nice walk from the hotel and enjoy the airplanes as they were flying.
We will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the future.